SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Summer School: CC or State University?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by bravesfan113, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bravesfan113

bravesfan113 7+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    GA
    MDApps:
    I'm having a tough time deciding what to do this summer. Only recently have i decided that i want to go to pharmacy school. I have always known that i wanted to do something in the healthcare field but it took me working at a hospital to realize that i don't want to be a doctor (stress, hours, etc). I'm about to graduate with a double major in biology and genetics at my state university with a 3.35 overall gpa, and same science gpa, same pharmacy prereq gpa. Unfortunately i still have some prereqs to take for pharmacy school (speech, psych, anatomy 1 and 2) that i haven't yet taken. I'm trying to decide whether or not to take them at my state university where i am currently enrolled or going home and taking them at a community college. The community college is much cheaper, and offers all of the classes this summer, whereas the state university that i currently go to doesn't offer the 2nd anatomy during the summer. I am wondering if an admissions committee would look down upon me taking some of my prereqs at a community college.. I also think that the classes will be easier if i take them at the community college. What do you guys think i should do? any input would be greatly appreciated!

on a sidenot, does anyone else find it extremely frustrating that different pharmacy schools have completely different prereqs? It seems like there ought to be some sort of standard for the prereqs at the schools, like there is for med school.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eelo

eelo 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Heck yeah, take them at the CC. If it's a problem with the adcom, you can explain duringyour interview that you took them at the CC to (1) save some money, and (2) get everything during the same semester, because the university didn't offer it all.

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I agree taking them at CC will be just fine. Given that you already have a degree and are a double major it's doubtful adcoms will think you're doing it because you can't hack the 4 year. It's better to save money. One question though, why force all these classes into the summer? You won't be able to get in until F'08 anyway giving you summer, fall, winter and spring quarters. Why not spread it out, take your time? I'm not saying take one class per quarter, though you could, but why risk cramming and risking your GPA if you don't have to?

5. bravesfan113

bravesfan113 7+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    GA
    MDApps:
    good point, but i really just want to get it over with. i'm about to be on my own (away from the parents) and i need to start working asap. theres also a possibility that i could have to take some more classes (since schools have such different pre-reqs) if i apply to a school without completing a prereq and get accepted pending the completion of the prereq.