Summer School/ MCAT study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

chacem

Hey,
I just had a quick question for all of you. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to purchase examkrackers or kaplan study guides, when I will be taking summer school for the first 8 weeks of the upcoming summer, then taking the MCAT in august. The summer school will be intense (8 credits, 8 weeks-- of physics), so I won't start hardcore studying for the mcat until after that (roughly july 1st). Is that enough time to really utilize the benefits of EK or kaplan study guides?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are very strong in one of the subjects then it is possible. But you should be able to do some studying during summer school.

I took 3 classes(one orgo lecture 2 humanities) in the summer, volunteered, and worked. I studied for the MCAT as well mostly during my commutes and by waking up at 6am to study for 2 hours and studying 2 hours at night. Some days I was a studying machine and some days I slacked but i always did some type of studying. I took gen chem and physics over 10 years ago so I really needed the full 10 weeks and then some. If you are VERY organized and stay on top of you summer classes this is nothing more than a large time commitment.

Many people have successfully pulled off studying for the MCAT(scoring well) during the summer and had to handle family, work, school, volunteering, travelling,etc.

-If anything start the EK 101 verbal early. Do one passage each week and go over ALL the answers. This is only a little over 2 hours/week.
-In the 8 weeks of summer school if you can study for 1 hour each day mon-fri and 2 hours each day sat/sun you should have about 72 hours(think it's 30 chapters total) to try to go through the whole EK complete series at least once without doing the 30 minute chapter tests. you should try to do a diagnostic at start of your prep. use AAMC 3R or the EK full length exam.
-Then on July 1st you can go hardcore and start doing the AAMC exams.
-last 2 weeks concentrate only on your weaknesses. do very light review of the other stuff.