Summer school while applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaeymaey

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do y'all advise taking summer school the during the summer that you're applying? I'm applying this summer and I've fulfilled all of my pre-reqs, but I was just thinking that in the off-chance I didn't get into med school I would want my science GPA to be higher were I to apply again. I have a 3.3 sci gpa (my overall is a 3.6) because I made C's in 3 science classes (O Chem 1, Genetics, and Cell Bio) and that's probably one of my biggest weaknesses on my application. I'm not a science major so the only science class I'll be taking next year is Biochem 1 in the fall. Do you think I should take some science classes this summer as a boost should the need arise to reapply (I hope it doesn't!) or should I just focus on the interview and application process and leave my schedule open?

Members don't see this ad.

I think taking 1 or 2 science classes this summer is a good idea. (As long as you are doing the April MCAT because you'll need the summer to study for the August test) Take a couple that interest you, but aren't really hard. For example, if your undergrad offers pathophysiology, that might be a fun one to take. Don't do anything hard-core like immunology or genetic engineering. Pathophys and histology are pure memorization classes...that might help you once you are in med school. You'll forget a lot of what you learn, but you'll recall quicker when you take the similar courses in med school. They can easily be science GPA boosters.

I took 10 units last summer while applying. It was very time-consuming, but doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took summer classes while I was applying. Also, I participated in an intense summer externship. So, don't let taking classes deter you from applying or vice versa.... :)