Summer schools in Japan and Asia in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChimeraAlly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a med student from the Czech Republic, and I've been thinking about attending the summer school abroad. I'd love to go either to the US/UK or the Asia, particularly Japan.
I know there aren't any schools offering the whole curriculum in English, but are at least, any summer schools in English available? I've been learning the Elementary Japanese for 3 semesters, but my level is far from attending the actual course in Japanese.
I love Japan and its culture, I'd love to visit and the summer school would be excellent oportunity - I could visit the counry and learn something useful for my future career.
I also like China and Thaiwan, but I don't speak a word of Chinese ...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm a med student from the Czech Republic, and I've been thinking about attending the summer school abroad. I'd love to go either to the US/UK or the Asia, particularly Japan.
I know there aren't any schools offering the whole curriculum in English, but are at least, any summer schools in English available? I've been learning the Elementary Japanese for 3 semesters, but my level is far from attending the actual course in Japanese.
I love Japan and its culture, I'd love to visit and the summer school would be excellent oportunity - I could visit the counry and learn something useful for my future career.
I also like China and Thaiwan, but I don't speak a word of Chinese ...

It's spelled Taiwan =), but yes I get your point. Not sure about Japan, but I could tell you about Taiwan, being a student of National Taiwan University (NTU).

I highly recommend researching the courses first.

Here's the course search web page for NTU: https://nol.ntu.edu.tw/nol/guest/index.php (click on "english" on the top right. You'll see it).

Although there are a few courses that are "say" they're offered in english, our professors so lazy that when they see it's mostly us local chinese, he or she just speaks in chinese until an international comes along and their english usually isn't on par (there will be an accent and there will be some grammatical errors). Now, there are some professors that speak fluently and are actually amazing, but they're either from the social sciences or literature department. Very little good english speakers come from the science departments because they're dedicated to teaching the science to their own country and not foreigners. And above all, they think that because European countries are superior in science, they also think, "If you want to study science, go to England, Germany or America or something" instead of coming here.

The problem is that most Asian countries aren't particularly internationally friendly, not even Japan (though China is opening up to foreigners and they DO offer a TON of courses there so I'll recommend taking a look at universities there). For example, even Taiwan's top and most internationally friend university in Taiwan NTU offer very little places for internationals, and even then they're almost ALWAYS chinese internationals. Now, I do occassionally see some Caucasian and Africans, but not a lot because like most Asian countries, it's 99.9% Asian, 1% other. Although the locals and professors are nice to the internationals, usually you're on your own because they have their own crowd to hang out (mind you, we'll still invite you to our local bar for our drink and help you out with homework and stuff). The people are nice, but the system is not.

Might I recommend Singapore or Hong Kong? They're amongst the only two asian countries that have incredible english native speakers because their education is taught in BOTH english and chinese since elementary school. And I'm sure they're more internationally friendly. EXTREMELY internationally friendly.

Thank you!

Well, I've always found strange the "go study science abroad" approach in the countries like Japan or Tai-wan ... Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in world, I'd expect tons of med courses in English but the reality is very different. I've been googling the Japanese Medical Schools and I was lucky when I found decent English version, the actual education in English is out of question.

My school offers the Medicine in English and we have many students from Tai-wan ... but I've been reading blogs of several Czech medical students who did summer working at one of the leading Tai-wan's university hospitals and they were very pleased with the quality.

On the other hand, many students in Europe would like to visit the "exotic" Asian countries, the culture is very different. I've thought about summer schools in European countries, but I'd love to expecience a completely different culture.