1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

summer schoooooooool

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by juju, Sep 11, 2001.

1. juju

juju New Member

hey everyone! i know that summer is a long way away but i'm curious. Do med schools count it against you if you take prerequisites in the summer instead of fall? and if they do i don't understand why, if you take bio in summer instead of fall what difference would it make, isn't the course work the same?? also, i'm looking to do volunteer work and i was wondering if there was any advice from anyone who's been there and done that. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took prerequisites in the summer to lighten my classload during the fall and spring semesters, and I was never asked anything about it.

take it easy

homonculus

4. treesap

treesap Member
    7+ Year Member

I really don't think it matters if you take a class in summer vs. fall to the admissions commitees. Be aware, though, that if you are looking at a lab class (chem, bio, phys) you could be quite miserable! The shortened quarter required that we attend lecture 8-12am and then attend a 2-3 hour lab twice a week (for a 5 credit class at a community college)!

My other word of wisdom is to be careful about your transcripts. I went to a four-year university, but decided to take summer classes at the community college closer to home. I did this every summer (including the summers I stayed in the college town)...took an EMT class somewhere else...Anyway, pretty soon I had SIX transcripts. My AMCAS application was a nightmare and trying to keep track of all those transcripts was a huge headache. The admissions committee DID ask me why I had so many...all I could do was explain that I was a freak and I had only attended most of the schools for a quarter or two. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, right? :eek: