summer schoooooooool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juju

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! i know that summer is a long way away but i'm curious. Do med schools count it against you if you take prerequisites in the summer instead of fall? and if they do i don't understand why, if you take bio in summer instead of fall what difference would it make, isn't the course work the same?? also, i'm looking to do volunteer work and i was wondering if there was any advice from anyone who's been there and done that. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took prerequisites in the summer to lighten my classload during the fall and spring semesters, and I was never asked anything about it.

take it easy

homonculus

I really don't think it matters if you take a class in summer vs. fall to the admissions commitees. Be aware, though, that if you are looking at a lab class (chem, bio, phys) you could be quite miserable! The shortened quarter required that we attend lecture 8-12am and then attend a 2-3 hour lab twice a week (for a 5 credit class at a community college)!

My other word of wisdom is to be careful about your transcripts. I went to a four-year university, but decided to take summer classes at the community college closer to home. I did this every summer (including the summers I stayed in the college town)...took an EMT class somewhere else...Anyway, pretty soon I had SIX transcripts. My AMCAS application was a nightmare and trying to keep track of all those transcripts was a huge headache. The admissions committee DID ask me why I had so many...all I could do was explain that I was a freak and I had only attended most of the schools for a quarter or two. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, right? :eek: