Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Here is my situation.. I'm a sophomore, i am heavily behind on science classes.. since freshman year the only science course i took was General biology 1, which i got a B+ in.
Since freshman year i have transferred from a 4 year university to a CC for personal reasons, i took general biology 2 beginning of sophomore year, and dropped it, because i would prefer to have a W than a C :(
I'm currently enrolled in General physics 1, General chemistry 1 and Calculus 2.
I'm transferring into Rutgers for fall, for Rutgers i would have to take general biology 1 &2 at the same institution. Meaning I have to retake the courses.
Ideally, i would like to take the MCAT's the summer of my junior year, in order to finish my prerequisites in time for that, i would have to take General chemistry 2 in the summer.

So for
Summer session 1:
General Physics 2
General Biology 1

Summer session 2:
General Chemistry 2
General Biology 2

Would this be manageable since i took both the bio courses before?
The only course that i could possibly push out of that schedule to take in fall would be physics 2, but you guys should know, I don't like physics :(
Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

brahms11

7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Here is my situation.. I'm a sophomore, i am heavily behind on science classes.. since freshman year the only science course i took was General biology 1, which i got a B+ in.
Since freshman year i have transferred from a 4 year university to a CC for personal reasons, i took general biology 2 beginning of sophomore year, and dropped it, because i would prefer to have a W than a C :(
I'm currently enrolled in General physics 1, General chemistry 1 and Calculus 2.
I'm transferring into Rutgers for fall, for Rutgers i would have to take general biology 1 &2 at the same institution. Meaning I have to retake the courses.
Ideally, i would like to take the MCAT's the summer of my junior year, in order to finish my prerequisites in time for that, i would have to take General chemistry 2 in the summer.

So for
Summer session 1:
General Physics 2
General Biology 1

Summer session 2:
General Chemistry 2
General Biology 2

Would this be manageable since i took both the bio courses before?
The only course that i could possibly push out of that schedule to take in fall would be physics 2, but you guys should know, I don't like physics :(
Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
If I understand correctly, Summer Session 1 and 2 refer to consecutive terms in the same summer. There are several problems with this plan if that is true. First, most summer sessions would only offer courses in sequence (ie. Physics 1 in Session 1 and Physics 2 in session 2.
If that isn't true for your school, you have to realize that just one summer class is a LOT of work, and you'd probably be setting your self up for failure because you won't have the time you need to dedicate yourself to two highly condensed classes (with lab) at the same time. This is especially true since you've only really started taking a lot of science classes and had to withdraw from Bio II; you might not have the science study skills needed for such an ambitious endeavor yet.

You could always give yourself more time and join the gap year club!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Will you be getting straight As for the current semester? If so, then it's reasonable for you to attempt the summer coursework you've outlined, if it's offered in the proper sequence.

If, on the other hand, you are struggling this semester then your plan is a recipe for disaster with a good chance of bringing your GPA down further. When you apply to med schools, you submit all grades earned, at all institutions attended. Every C you get needs 4 As with the same credit hours to redeem it.

It's better to take the necessary coursework slowly and thoughtfully, learning the material thoroughly and getting straight As, than to get everything done in time to apply after junior year and get no acceptances due to a dismal GPA and mediocre MCAT score.

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If I understand correctly, Summer Session 1 and 2 refer to consecutive terms in the same summer. There are several problems with this plan if that is true. First, most summer sessions would only offer courses in sequence (ie. Physics 1 in Session 1 and Physics 2 in session 2.
If that isn't true for your school, you have to realize that just one summer class is a LOT of work, and you'd probably be setting your self up for failure because you won't have the time you need to dedicate yourself to two highly condensed classes (with lab) at the same time. This is especially true since you've only really started taking a lot of science classes and had to withdraw from Bio II; you might not have the science study skills needed for such an ambitious endeavor yet.

You could always give yourself more time and join the gap year club!

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
I'm taking physics 1 right now, i currently have an A in it.
The reason i did poorly in bio 2 and the reason i transferred schools is because i had a head injury, I had an extremely difficult semester because I simply wasn't up to speed from the head injury. I'm better now.
I still have the bio folders, would it really still be that difficult?

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Will you be getting straight As for the current semester? If so, then it's reasonable for you to attempt the summer coursework you've outlined, if it's offered in the proper sequence.

If, on the other hand, you are struggling this semester then your plan is a recipe for disaster with a good chance of bringing your GPA down further. When you apply to med schools, you submit all grades earned, at all institutions attended. Every C you get needs 4 As with the same credit hours to redeem it.

It's better to take the necessary coursework slowly and thoughtfully, learning the material thoroughly and getting straight As, than to get everything done in time to apply after junior year and get no acceptances due to a dismal GPA and mediocre MCAT score.
Currently i'm pulling an A in physics, an A- minus in gen chem, and an A in Calc 2. But i think by end of semester i can pull a full A in gen chem.

I take my time with the material, this semester i worked the hardest with physics so far, because i know i have to know this material cold for the MCAT's.
So i believe physics 2 would be the biggest challenge for me this semester... if i pursue this plan? or am i wrong? :confused:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Yes, Physics II is challenging, but considering you've already covered the Bio material, and your current successes, it sounds like you can do it.

Realize that you will likely be totally burned out by the end of the summer, so plan some not-too-time-consuming stress relief strategies, and use them. You definitely want to start OChem with enthusiasm.

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, Physics II is challenging, but considering you've already covered the Bio material, and your current successes, it sounds like you can do it.

Realize that you will likely be totally burned out by the end of the summer, so plan some not-too-time-consuming stress relief strategies, and use them. You definitely want to start OChem with enthusiasm.
:thumbup: Thanks :) I have a feeling physics 2 will demand the most out of me in the summer.
How is general chem. 2 in compare to general chem. 1?
After summer classes, i plan on being a couch potato!!! :D until fall.
Also.. i don't know how dorky or silly this sounds, but I'm excited for 0chem because you get those building sets :laugh:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
We are all wired differently. I had no trouble with Physics; I had a terrible time with Gen Chem (probably the hardest classes I ever took). I had to go to study sessions every week to get through it creditably. I was terrified of OChem, but it turned out to be . . . . fun. I loved it. It was easy. I TAed the OChem lab for the next 2.5 years and destroyed that part of the MCAT.

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
We are all wired differently. I had no trouble with Physics; I had a terrible time with Gen Chem (probably the hardest classes I ever took). I had to go to study sessions every week to get through it creditably. I was terrified of OChem, but it turned out to be . . . . fun. I loved it. It was easy. I TAed the OChem lab for the next 2.5 years and destroyed that part of the MCAT.
hahaha I'm the exact opposite. Physics is the hardest for me with gen. chem being the easiest. Did you feel gen. chem 2 was harder/easier than the first gen chem?

YouNeverKnow22

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Grey Street
Status
Pre-Medical
two science classes in one session? I call that insane. That means your taking two classes plus the labs? Definitely would not recommend trying to do that.

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
two science classes in one session? I call that insane. That means your taking two classes plus the labs? Definitely would not recommend trying to do that.
The schedule doesn't look too terrible... of course, i plan on having no life while taking those classes.
Summer session 1:
Gen. physics lecture: M, T, W, TH 11am-1:30 pm
Lab: T, TH, 2:00-3:50
General biology 1: M,W: 6:00pm-8:50pm
Lab: T, Th: 6:00pm-8:50pm
Although i might change it around so i dont have both physics and bio lab on same day

YouNeverKnow22

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Grey Street
Status
Pre-Medical
The schedule doesn't look too terrible... of course, i plan on having no life while taking those classes.
Summer session 1:
Gen. physics lecture: M, T, W, TH 11am-1:30 pm
Lab: T, TH, 2:00-3:50
General biology 1: M,W: 6:00pm-8:50pm
Lab: T, Th: 6:00pm-8:50pm
Although i might change it around so i dont have both physics and bio lab on same day
wow, doesn't look appetizing....then again if you're not doing EC's and just school it's not bad....I was considering Physics 2 and Org 2 in one session but decided to split them up....I wanted to do other things as well like research, etc.

OP
J
Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
wow, doesn't look appetizing....then again if you're not doing EC's and just school it's not bad....I was considering Physics 2 and Org 2 in one session but decided to split them up....I wanted to do other things as well like research, etc.
Yeah summer session 2 is pretty much identical just replace physics 2 with chem 2 and make the class longer.
I'm currently applying to volunteer in a hospice and a job possibly, so i'll squeeze those into the weekend so i'll really not have a life in the summer :laugh:
If i could just take one course at a time, i would consider that ideal.
But I really need to get these courses done.

Nevermind.. summer session 2 is going to suck so much more!!
General chemistry Lecture Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 09:00AM - 11:30AM
Laboratory Tuesday, Thursday 12:00PM - 03:15PM
And same hours for general biology 2.. M, T, W, TH: 6:00-8:50 pm.

Last edited:

YouNeverKnow22

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Grey Street
Status
Pre-Medical
damn, good luck......I'm doing Orgo 2 and a PE 1st session and Physics 2 and stats second session....the key is only one lab a session haha.