iduwanna

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Cost of attendance is an important consideration in deciding which school to attend (or apply to).

MSAR lists cost of attendance based on first year, but I've noticed that at least a couple of schools charge an extra arm and leg for summer session in years 2 and 3.

Do all schools do this or just a few? How can I find out what each school is really going to cost?

PremedIowa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Most schools print out a four-year budget. Check it out on their websites or ask for one during the interview.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Cost of attendance is an important consideration in deciding which school to attend (or apply to).

MSAR lists cost of attendance based on first year, but I've noticed that at least a couple of schools charge an extra arm and leg for summer session in years 2 and 3.

Do all schools do this or just a few? How can I find out what each school is really going to cost?
Are you talking about US med schools? Most med schools don't have a "summer session". First year you generally have the summer off unless you fail something. After second year you generally have to spend the summer studying for and taking Step 1. There usually isn't a summer off between third and fourth year during which there would be a "session"-- you generally get about a week off and then the fourth year starts. I don't think most schools charge extra for this -- the number of weeks has to pass LCME muster. At least some schools charge the same for each of the 4 years of med school.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My school charges extra 2nd and 3rd because you are in school during the summer. So instead of 3 quarters you are in school for 4. I imagine most schools do this - you are in school an extra quarter - they should charge for it.

Ours isn't much more its like an extra $3,000 for the summer. So realistically when you're 200k in debt its not that big of a deal.

OP
I

iduwanna

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you talking about US med schools? Most med schools don't have a "summer session". First year you generally have the summer off unless you fail something. After second year you generally have to spend the summer studying for and taking Step 1. There usually isn't a summer off between third and fourth year during which there would be a "session"-- you generally get about a week off and then the fourth year starts. I don't think most schools charge extra for this -- the number of weeks has to pass LCME muster. At least some schools charge the same for each of the 4 years of med school.
Two US med schools I was considering charge many thousands extra for the 2nd and 3rd -year summers. The cost of these years is much higher than what's published in MSAR.

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007

Good for you that you figured this out before it's too late to impact your decision making. A lot of schools in my area (midwest) charge (a lot) extra for the summers you stay in school. In researching this it was so difficult for me to find the information that I came to the conclusion it was deliberately made obscure. For my state schools the extra tuition makes the public institutions not nearly as good deal financially, relative to private schools, as initially seemed to be the case. There were many threads discussing this issue during the last season. Perhaps a search will locate them for you.

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Good for you that you figured this out before it's too late to impact your decision making. A lot of schools in my area (midwest) charge (a lot) extra for the summers you stay in school. In researching this it was so difficult for me to find the information that I came to the conclusion it was deliberately made obscure. For my state schools the extra tuition makes the public institutions not nearly as good deal financially, relative to private schools, as initially seemed to be the case. There were many threads discussing this issue during the last season. Perhaps a search will locate them for you.
Ugh I hate when med schools deliberately hide things!