Summer shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, thought get your advice on whether it'd be worth the effort to shadow IR in CA while I'm back home for my summer after M2. I get a longer vacation than I thought I would, so I'm considering taking 2 weeks to learn more about IR.

Is this a worthwhile use of time post-boards? I heard that Stanford doesn't even extend courtesy interviews after actual aways, so will this really be helpful? Will spending time at UC Davis be a better idea?

Since rads & IR aren't really spectator sports, is it better to learn about the field back at my med school during M3/4?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your main intention?

If you want to get familiar with the field and see whether you like it or not, it is a very good idea.
If you want to get interview, it may help, though the best strategy is to rotate with the department that give you feed back or good letters of recommendation.

Overall, it will not hurt you at all. IMO, it is a good experience. But if you have something very fun for your vacation time, do not torture yourself and take advantage of it. You will barely find the opportunity later in your life.

Hey all, thought get your advice on whether it'd be worth the effort to shadow IR in CA while I'm back home for my summer after M2. I get a longer vacation than I thought I would, so I'm considering taking 2 weeks to learn more about IR.

Is this a worthwhile use of time post-boards? I heard that Stanford doesn't even extend courtesy interviews after actual aways, so will this really be helpful? Will spending time at UC Davis be a better idea?

Since rads & IR aren't really spectator sports, is it better to learn about the field back at my med school during M3/4?

Thanks!

Why not shadow IR people at your home school so you can build a report, and who knows, they may have research projects you could help with during your third year

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! My goals are to learn more about IR in general and improve my chances in CA when I apply for residencies, since I'd like to go back after med school.

I figure I'll have plenty of chances to work with the dept. at my home institution, but my chances to network in CA are fewer.

My main worry is whether I'll even get anything out of it in two weeks, or whether I'll be too inexperienced to make a good impression.

If you expect to learn how to do TACE or Y-90 no.
But you will reach more important goals. First you will grab an understanding of what IR really entails. You will at least know a little whether you like it or not.
On the other hand, rotating with them may help you for match.
I recommend it, but take it easy. you seem to be very anxious about it.

If you expect to learn how to do TACE or Y-90 no.
But you will reach more important goals. First you will grab an understanding of what IR really entails. You will at least know a little whether you like it or not.
On the other hand, rotating with them may help you for match.
I recommend it, but take it easy. you seem to be very anxious about it.

I don't know about that. If you know nothing about the field and aren't participating in patient care, it's very hard to impress anyone.

I commend you on trying to get an early understanding of IR. We have about 30 students a year rotating on the IR service. They range from M2 to M4. The M2 usually just observe . We have a busy sub internship on IR for MS4. The MS4 are very useful in that they have done medicine and surgery and can see the initial consultations. The MS3 (especially if they have not finished medicine or surgery rotations) usually need the most guidance as they have the least clinical acumen. My colleagues and I have truly enjoyed interacting and training medical students and if you are interested you are more than welcome to shadow us at our facility.