MDwannabe09

5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm going to be a junior in the fall and have taken all the major prereq's for the MCAT, (gen. bio, gen. chem, physics, ochem). I'm planning on taking biochem and physio sometime in the fall or winter. My question is, when is the best time for me to take the MCAT?

I would like to apply to med. schools next June, but I'm not sure if I should take the MCAT in January or spring...

I need some refreshers in gen. chem and bio, but I feel pretty good about physics and ochem since I just finished both a couple weeks ago. I plan on lightly reviewing over the summer and trying to boost my verbal.

I did some searches on this, but if anyone could offer advice and/or links to pages that discuss my same situation that would be much appreciated!

NYKnick

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2011
El Paso
Status
Medical Student
From experience definitely make sure the classes you are taking the semester you are prepping for the MCAT is light and manageable. I took 2 biochem courses and genetics and I had to push the MCAT cuz I was getting little to know time to study effectively.

Only you know your capabilities and discipline. You might be amazing at time management and things might work out but if not don't put too much on your plate.

OCDOCDOCD

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2012
Status
Non-Student
It really depends on you. Some people can get away with 2 weeks of studying, others need 6 months. Most need 3 months. As an example, I have one friend who spent winter break studying for the MCAT and got 31. Another friend spent his summer studying and also got 31.

Speaking as a non-trad though, I'd say summer is ideal. Studying for the MCAT while working or taking classes is definitely not the best way to do things. Having 3 months of 9-5 studying is ideal, and if you can pull that off I would do that. You may not be ready that admissions cycle but whoever said you NEED to go to med school immediately after undergrad? I can tell you from experience that taking a year off from academia is really, really refreshing. Not to mention that you'll have more time to build up a more impressive application.

GrabSlamBoot

7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm going to be a junior in the fall and have taken all the major prereq's for the MCAT, (gen. bio, gen. chem, physics, ochem). I'm planning on taking biochem and physio sometime in the fall or winter. My question is, when is the best time for me to take the MCAT?

I would like to apply to med. schools next June, but I'm not sure if I should take the MCAT in January or spring...

I need some refreshers in gen. chem and bio, but I feel pretty good about physics and ochem since I just finished both a couple weeks ago. I plan on lightly reviewing over the summer and trying to boost my verbal.

I did some searches on this, but if anyone could offer advice and/or links to pages that discuss my same situation that would be much appreciated!
Hey, So I was just in the same situation. I took the MCAT in January with a relatively full courseload including (microbiology, biochem, grad level physio course). While I ended up getting the score I wanted, studying over the semester literally left me with no time for anything else. Between EC's classes and MCAT, your going to be extremely busy. If your willing to accept that, then I think the Jan test date is great.

January advantage:
you typically have December-Jan28ish of winterbreak and very little class work to hash out studying and practice exams.

Early test date allows for a Late April-May retake if you do poorly with ample study time in between and you still get to submit to AMCAS relatively early

Disadvantage:
You get burned out quickly jumping from final exams to winter break filled MCAT and straight back into Spring courses

Just FYI I used SN2d's study Sched coupled with Berkley. Started studying in September hardcore averaged maybe 3 hours a day on a good day over the semester, and then when my classes winded down I picked it up to 8-10 hours over winter break.

lemme know if you have any questions and best of luck in everything

OP
M

MDwannabe09

5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the replies! I think I will probably end up taking the January MCAT then. I'll review through the summer, more in the fall, and kick it into high gear over winter break!