1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Summer Undergraduate Research Competitiveness

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yluo2, Dec 11, 2008.

1. yluo2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a junior at a Top 10 university with a cum GPA of 3.8 Science GPA of 3.71. I've worked in labs the past two summers (no independent projects though) with minimal lab work during the school year. How competitive are the various Summer Research Opportunities (Like Amgen and such)? I just wanted to know before I apply to super competitive ones. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mdmarty

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Summer research programs range widely in their competitiveness. However, if you have your eyes set on a particular medical school, then you should try to do the research program there, no matter how competitive (or uncompetitive) it is.

The Amgen programs are particularly nice because they literally baby you into research. For one of the UC Amgen programs, we [accepted students] were told that about 350 people applied for 25 spots and only 30 or so acceptences were given out. Previous research is important, but your essays, LOR(s), and GPA are the most important factors.

4. iTool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    y do ppl say "i go to a top X school"? is that important?
    if it is, why not just say which school u go to?

and yes i'm interested in research this summer too so id like to hear more responses

5. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    How else would we know how special they are?

6. DoctorDeMan

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They are quite competitive. I was accepted into medical school at schools that rejected my summer research fellowship application. That said, apply to a bunch and you'll probably get some acceptances.

7. yluo2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know everything matters a lot, but what would be a competitive GPA for the amgen programs?

8. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone's response here honestly going to stop you from applying? Just apply with what you have, continue what you've been doing. Don't let anyone tell you your numbers or whatever are too low.

If there is one mistake people make it is NOT TRYING. Trying will never hurt you, good luck.

9. 189362

Pre-Medical
    Im not sure what Amgen is, so this will be a very ignorant response, but there are other exceptionally interesting internships - just saying.

So whats an Amgen research internship like - cause realistically after finals im too lazy to research?

10. batch5000

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Amgen Scholars program was incredible. I would highly recommend applying. It is very competitive though (my location had over 500 apps for 20-30 seats.) I think the most important factor in your app is your essay. They are more interested in people who love science for science's sake, rather than people who are looking for a resume booster. Some of us had no prior research experience; others had extensive. Another cool thing is that it is almost entirely pre-grad school students who attend, so you don't have to worry about having any uptight discussions with people bragging about their ECs, etc. Its a lot of fun too, and the PIs are usually well known. Some of us even ended up on a publication.

11. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i applied to about 10 programs last summer and was rejected by all... it was pretty sad.