Summer Undergraduate Research Programs - Are they worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakims

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to apply to many for this upcoming summer, but how much can you possibly do in only 10 weeks? Is it better to just do something during the year? Or, does getting accepted to one of those programs give you some advantage for apps?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking to apply to many for this upcoming summer, but how much can you possibly do in only 10 weeks? Is it better to just do something during the year? Or, does getting accepted to one of those programs give you some advantage for apps?

I'd recommend doing research during the year, and also applying to the summer programs. (if you like research)

The summer programs are more than just research experiences. They're more like life experiences, where you meet people from all over the country, from different backgrounds, and ultimately get more than just some research that probably will end up in someone else's hands when you're gone.

I did a research internship for a summer. It was enjoyable. I'd recommend it if you are curious about research and want to find out if you like it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
While it is only 10 weeks, you can gain a lot of contacts and a skill base that will make it easier to get a research position during the year.

plus, they pay well...

do research to explore research, not to advance your application. and what else are you going to do during the summer? work at a golf course?

I'd like to do one but I need summer school if I want to graduate on time and maybe a little bit early....so no summer programs for me....I'd rather just do volunteering and a other research that doesn't require me to do just that

I'd like to do one but I need summer school if I want to graduate on time and maybe a little bit early....so no summer programs for me....I'd rather just do volunteering and a other research that doesn't require me to do just that

Perhaps you could combine summer school and research? Also, sometimes it is better to go slowly with your studies, but earn valuable experience along the way. What I mean is that sometimes an extra year in school can make you more competitive. Of course, I don't know your specific situation so ... I will stop talking now.

Yes, as people have said, it's not all about the research. If it's in a hospital setting then they usually have programs where you can watch surgeries, have guest speakers and so forth. It was great. Plus I got to work with mice and do some pretty neat things for the first time.

Yes, as people have said, it's not all about the research. If it's in a hospital setting then they usually have programs where you can watch surgeries, have guest speakers and so forth. It was great. Plus I got to work with mice and do some pretty neat things for the first time.

For most programs, research is the tip of the iceberg. There were plenty of talks and events planned for us, and we had access to the professors and facilities at the school.

Also, if you get a good PI, the caliber of research you'd be doing is much greater than at your school. The reason: you're not able to devote a 10 hr day to research during the school year, but you are during the summer. I did really cool research on rats (hands-on and difficult but awesome), met a lot of great people, and had an amazing experience overall. And, i still have some of the money i made saved up (that I didn't spend at the bars during the summer). It was definitely worth it.

how difficult are they to get into? what exactly are they looking for on those apps???

You just have to apply to alot of them and ask about their requirements! Do everything on your statement of goals to let you look open to their research program! As far as them being hard to get into, the more you apply to, the better your chances! My friend applied to 16 last year and got accepted to 7, most were prestigious schools too!:thumbup:

For those who had pleasant experiences, do you mind sharing which programs were you a part of? Or if someone knows of a program that's really well run? Thanks!