Summer Volunteer Abroad/Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmiscassie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some volunteer opportunities I could do over the summer, something about a week or two long. I know most of the international/volunteer abroad programs are sometimes expensive, but I heard that there are still some states you could travel to for a week or two to help out and still gain experience and something to talk about on your applications. I don't really know if this is true or not, as I don't know what states I could travel to to volunteer in that really need help and would provide me with the experience I would have if I volunteered abroad? I am located in Las Vegas, btw.

I guess I really am looking for some more extracurriculars. I was a UTA last semester, I volunteer at a hospital once a week, and I am part of a pre-health group that does humanitarian and fundraising volunteer work. Although, I know that being part of a club really doesn't do much for your application. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Going abroad and volunteering for a week doesn't sound worth the money or the experience...what could you possibly learn in terms of life experiences in a matter of a week? I think a lot of people misconstrue the significance of volunteering abroad and don't realize that you can do something more important and worthwhile in your own community.

I think people who think that spending two weeks in Africa will garner them a fast pass to an interview or acceptance need to do some more SDN reading.