summer volunteer within the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know about any volunteer programs that are like "doctors with out boards" but that do health related volunteer work for poor communities in the US. I would like to do something during the summer but i would rather stay in the states. it's interesting how aboard volunteer programs are so easy to find but i'm having a hard time finding something in the US.

thanks! let me know if you have any information, it could be anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

wendywellesley said:
does anyone know about any volunteer programs that are like "doctors with out boards" but that do health related volunteer work for poor communities in the US. I would like to do something during the summer but i would rather stay in the states. it's interesting how aboard volunteer programs are so easy to find but i'm having a hard time finding something in the US.

thanks! let me know if you have any information, it could be anywhere.

have you tried homeless clinics (there are many healthcare for the homeless programs around the nation) OR are you specifically looking for medically underserved populations? what type of volunteering would you like to do? primary care, immunizations, what?

2tall said:
have you tried homeless clinics (there are many healthcare for the homeless programs around the nation) OR are you specifically looking for medically underserved populations? what type of volunteering would you like to do? primary care, immunizations, what?

do you know of any? i would like to do work with medically underserved populations (i was thinking about immigrant communities and Native Americans on reservations, I have no idea what kind of care they get). i would be interested in either primary care or immunizations.

Members don't see this ad :)
The county department of health is a great place to check. I volunteered for one last summer. I got to observe some clinical stuff. I also was able to take part in health education activities such as going to senior centers to talk about West Nile Virus. I helped out with the follow-up of people who have notifiable diseases which included helping arrange for vaccinations at a discounted cost. Hope this helped and good luck.

I agree with Brain. Start at home. I don't know where you live (I'm sure there aren't many states without an underserved pop), but I'd look at my state, city, or county departments of health. If you don't know where to look, you can start with the US Dept of Health and Human Services and go from there. If you're interested in working with the native american population...look for places in those states...oklahoma, new mexico, etc.

As for healthcare for the homeless...there's a national initiative/consortium/whatever you call it...you can google it. They're everywhere...so there should be one close to you.