summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marlind619

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it crucial to spend summers in a research setting or something similar? I've spent one summer working for a company that promises to "build character in young people" and am about to spend another. It's more a people experience than a scientific. Advantages that I've seen come from it: their goal is to teach college students to "work hard, study hard, and be teachable"--not bad skills to have in general; they teach you how to sell yourself to others; in the one summer I was with them, my communication skills skyrocketed; they are extremely effective in teaching goal setting; also, once you've worked with them they write one hell of a recommendation letter. To sum up, I don't regret working for them last summer and I'm definitely a better person for the experience. The one disadvantage I see is that it's not what's typically recommended. But it could also be something that sets me apart from others.

Any comments, recommendations?? Summer is getting closer every day.......

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend on your other statistics if you need to bulk up on extras for your application.
There is also something to be said for taking a break during the summer, so you can do your best during the school year. Burning out and doing poorly during the school year is much worse than the advantage you gain by doing summer work.
Consider doing part-time things like shadowing local physicians and volunteering in the local hospital. And, during the other time have fun, you are in college enjoy some free time.

hope this helps

That program sounds very interesting. Would you mind elaborating a little more on it?

[This message has been edited by Southern Gentlemen (edited April 05, 2001).]