Summers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srgmp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, kind of an open question -

i've spent this summer and a summer two years ago doing basic research (not clinical) and while i do enjoy it, i'm wondering how critical it is for me to continue to spend my summers in college doing research. i have a passion for education and tutoring and i really want to apply to breakthrough collaborative next summer but the one thing holding me back is the expectation of continuing in a lab for several rotations before applying to medical school...what do you think? is it better to stay consistent in what you do over the summer or mix it up (whether it's different labs, different interests, etc.)?

thanks a bunch for your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN!
:welcome:

First off, if you like research do research... if you like tutoring and all that do tutoring.

In essence, show dedication and commitment in your activities. Do what you like and are passionate about. That will show through on your application and at your interviews when they ask you...

"Tell me about this collaborative program bla bla bla?"

Then your eyes light up, you and the adcom fall in love and then you're holding a sexy acceptance letter and a full ride scholarship. Nifty eh?

I agree with ^. Also, it's fine that you don't like research. It's even better that you did research before writing it off, as opposed to claiming to dislike it without having stepped foot inside a lab.