summoning perio residents!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halitosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
p-residents or those who just matched: plesase help out! can you briefly describe what you all did during the first summer and subsequent breaks to improve cv? research? externship? volunteer?
much thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Halitosis said:
p-residents or those who just matched: plesase help out! can you briefly describe what you all did during the first summer and subsequent breaks to improve cv? research? externship? volunteer?
much thanx.

First off, perio doesn't do Match. Secondly, the only thing I did during my breaks was go to Disneyworld. If you have good scores, in my opinion, you can get by without research/externship experience. But, if you are really motivated I know UPenn, UTHSCSA, and a couple other programs have externships. At the very least, you can check these programs out prior to applying/accepting.

Halitosis said:
much thanx.

Go to the AAP site and they have a list of programs that offer externships. If the school that you want to go to is not listed, call them and most likely they will at least allow you to visit the school. I didn't do anything during my breaks, except hang out with family and friends. I did do a week externship which consisted of being a spit sucker for a week...the experience was nothing special, but I suppose it looks good on a CV. OMFS externships are a lot different than perio externships in that you actually do stuff. The only thing of value that I got out of my externship was meeting the residents to see if they were the kind of people I would like to be around for 3 years, and vice-versa. Just do the normal stuff that dental students do like give kids a smile, get around a 90 board score, apply to a dozen schools and you're in. As already stated, if you have good scores you can get by without research/externships. I highly doubt externships/research will mask poor numbers, except at a real weak program that you probably don't want to go to anyway. I think program directors look for 3 things:
1. a good part 1 performance, class rank
2. that you like perio
3. if you get to the interview the residents and faculty have to like you.

I don't think they give a **** about dental activities like being a member of ASDA or some dental clubs etc, volunteering at a homeless shelter etc. Everyone does this stuff so it's basically meaningless unless you truly enjoy giving a helping hand, but it will nothing for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohhh i c.

losingfaith27 said:
OMFS externships are a lot different than perio externships in that you actually do stuff.

abt this comment....how come perio externs are just spectators? is the amt of participation in a p-ext dependent on what year you are?

Yah, the question he said above, and would it be worth doing an OMFS externship and then applying to perio programs. I would like to do an externship but i really don't want to sit around and do nothing. I'd like some experience...

any thoughts?

Halitosis said:
ohhh i c.

abt this comment....how come perio externs are just spectators? is the amt of participation in a p-ext dependent on what year you are?

Yah, the question he said above, and would it be worth doing an OMFS externship and then applying to perio programs. I would like to do an externship but i really don't want to sit around and do nothing. I'd like some experience...

any thoughts?

Halitosis said:
ohhh i c.

I did mine at the end of 3rd year just before applying. I even had the proper insurance etc. and the only thing that I could do was to "suction at a distance." I went to a seminar too which was on research methodology for an hour. The majority of the time was spent assisting 2nd and 3rd year residents and I got to talk to faculty that were precepting. I do not think programs allow externs to do anything clinical. From what I hear the OMFS externships are much better and you actually do things and get real exposure to the specialty. You might look into Buffalo as they seem to have externships that can last months and maybe there you get to do more. My advice it to call around to find a more involved externship, but I think it's unlikely. Another option would be to do something at your own school and there might be a better chance of actually doing something beyond observation. Best of Luck.

losingfaith27 said:
I did mine at the end of 3rd year just before applying. I even had the proper insurance etc. and the only thing that I could do was to "suction at a distance." I went to a seminar too which was on research methodology for an hour. The majority of the time was spent assisting 2nd and 3rd year residents and I got to talk to faculty that were precepting. I do not think programs allow externs to do anything clinical. From what I hear the OMFS externships are much better and you actually do things and get real exposure to the specialty. You might look into Buffalo as they seem to have externships that can last months and maybe there you get to do more. My advice it to call around to find a more involved externship, but I think it's unlikely. Another option would be to do something at your own school and there might be a better chance of actually doing something beyond observation. Best of Luck.

Just don't tell the OMFS program you're interested in perio. It might be a tough month/week/maybe day....unless you're red-headed and a step child, then you might already be used to it....

Periogod said:
First off, perio doesn't do Match. Secondly, the only thing I did during my breaks was go to Disneyworld. If you have good scores, in my opinion, you can get by without research/externship experience. But, if you are really motivated I know UPenn, UTHSCSA, and a couple other programs have externships. At the very least, you can check these programs out prior to applying/accepting.
Warning to possible male externs: PerioGod has more restraining orders against him than Mike Tyson. When he grabs your waist to "guide your hand" during "surgery," watch your cornhole...

OMFSCardsFan said:
Warning to possible male externs: PerioGod has more restraining orders against him than Mike Tyson. When he grabs your waist to "guide your hand" during "surgery," watch your cornhole...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMFSCardsFan said:

And people were complaining about the lack of a "hands-on" Perio externship experience.

Periogod said:
And people were complaining about the lack of a "hands-on" Perio externship experience.
Nice!

Hi to all,

I am a third year dental student and practically i haven't done anything like research or externships to improve my CV, I like to get into perio residency in the future after 2-3 years after finishing my dental course, Is there anyone out who can help me with some of my ans, i would really appreciate your help.

1. Is there good chance to get into perio to those who apply as freshers from dental school compared to the people who apply after 2-3 years after dental school.
2. which perio programs are good to get good clinical experience in perio surgical procedures as well as in implants?
3. what is the future of the perio speciality? i know that it doen't pay asmuch as ortho or pedo , is there any views about it? :confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance for the helpers.