SUNY and MOUNT SINAI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

confusedfmg

could anyone give the standard of the SUNY programs and the MOUNT SINAI AFFILIATED HOSPITALS....i kno w its a broad topic but any enlightenment would be welcome

Members don't see this ad.

i was not impressed with the Mt. Sinai affilated hospitals at all. I applied to all of them since i was coming from a different region and didn't know what was what. Interviewed at Elmhurst and Cabrini, and did not rank either one. Elmhurst did look to be a decent community hospital, i just didn't think they did a good job of selling it, it seemed like the residents there got oppurunities. Dont even bother with Cabrini, there's plenty of community hospitals that are much better.

confusedfmg said:
could anyone give the standard of the SUNY programs and the MOUNT SINAI AFFILIATED HOSPITALS....i kno w its a broad topic but any enlightenment would be welcome
If you mean SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn then I think its a much better program than the Mt Sinai affiliated hospitals mentioned above.Its popularity has increased significantly recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks iw as referring to mount sinai in the bronx area..how would u rate that one..

The only Sinai affiliate there I know is the Bronx VA hospital,which is generally integrated into the main Mt Sinai Hospital residency program for most specialties.It may have a few stand alone programs but if they do I have not heard much about them.I would be hesitant about a VA only program unless there were plenty of opportunities to rotate through other types of hospitals as well.

ny skindoc said:
The only Sinai affiliate there I know is the Bronx VA hospital,which is generally integrated into the main Mt Sinai Hospital residency program for most specialties.It may have a few stand alone programs but if they do I have not heard much about them.I would be hesitant about a VA only program unless there were plenty of opportunities to rotate through other types of hospitals as well.

It's a VA/NY City Hospital (N. Central Bronx) combined prgoram. I only know NCB from my Onc rotation at Einstein (which covers Onc at NCB) and was generally unimpressed. Mediocre residents, horrible support staff (worse than at my own city hospital) and no teaching. Bronx VA is probably the weakest of the 3 NYC VA hospitals but is still better than NCB.

Now...as to the OP's question, you can not compare these two programs. The VA/NCB program is vaguely MSSM affiliated and you will have no advantages of university affiliation. If you want to hit an affiliated Univ. program, try BIMC, Cabrini, LIJ or North Shore. Downstate is a true university program, although at a mediocre/average (my own) university. It's got 3 sites (semi-private, city and VA). It also has a great PD and a very interesting asst. PD. The program has made a dramatic about face over the past 4 years. It used to be a program that attracted only FMGs...2 years ago there were only 2 AMG categoricals out of 45+ residents. This year, it's >1/2 AMGs in the intern class and they had no unmatched spots.

I didn't even apply to the program but I think it's made some great strides in the few years I've been watching it and it will only continue to get better. If you're looking for a good program w/ great clinical and didactic opportunities, Downstate will provide. If you want a place you can skate into w/ bad board scores, do no work and coast on to a cushy private practice gig then you should probably look elsewhere.

My $0.02.

BE

hey BE or anyone else...our of curiosity, how is SUNY downstate's fellowship match...do they do pretty well...ironically people never talk about it much so I was just curious how they do...thanks for the input

DrHeartMD said:
hey BE or anyone else...our of curiosity, how is SUNY downstate's fellowship match...do they do pretty well...ironically people never talk about it much so I was just curious how they do...thanks for the input

they match pretty well in terms of numbers. Most people who are going for fellowships get a spot. A lot of them match in-house (for better or worse) and they tend to steer people to specialties they think they'll match in. So if there are 8 people who want to do GI and there are 5 spots at Downstate, they'll talk 2 or 3 of those people into doing something else to be sure that everyone gets a spot in something.

There are a few really great programs (Renal, ID) a few good to very good programs (GI, Cards, Rheum) and a few that just get by (Hem/Onc, Pulm/CC, A&I).

The residency program on the other hand is on an upswing and really turning into something good. Interns this year will graduate from a dramatically different program.

BE

does suny brooklyn post where their medicine guys match for fellowship each year? i'm looking around online but not finding anything