SUNY Buffalo Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorpants

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's go Buffalo :)! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, nice to see a future classmate! I am fairly certain that I will be going to Buffalo next year. I can't wait!! I am from the area, where are you from? What are you doing until next August??

I'm from St. Louis originally, but my husband is from Buffalo and we've been living in the Buffalo area since June. I'm working at a nursing home here until school starts in the fall. Looking at your MDApps, you're still in school at UB, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I am a senior at UB this year, but its winter break right now, and I am going nuts with boredom! Congrats on getting into UB, I hope there are more of us on this thread soon!

Hello!
Just got in off the waitlist the week before Christmas. It was my first acceptance so I couldn't ask for a better Christmas present. I am pretty sure I'm going here. I am also originally from Buffalo. I graduated from college in the spring and am now working for the year in nyc. Can't wait to begin school!

Congratulations! That's great that the waitlist is already moving so early in the year! That is a really nice Christmas present! Happy Holidays! :)

Anybody start looking for housing yet? How's it going?? I want to know when we start! I called and they said they dont know yet though.

My husband and I are looking for houses in the UB South Campus area - it's so nice to know I'm in this early so that we can take our time.

I just used that search engine for housing that was in our folder. Right now I'm thinking I'll probably get a one bedroom within walking distance to the campus (although the south campus is a much nicer, safer area). You can get a one bedroom for around $300 a month, and of course that gets cheaper with roommates. It's much cheaper than living in the dorms or the university apartments.

I still can't get over the low cost of living in Buffalo! Wait - I thought that the south campus was where the med school is located...we're looking near the med school campus, whichever that one is.

I think she meant the North Campus is a much safer area. I am looking into the University Court Apartments right across from South Campus, but I am a little nervous because I am a young single girl and will be living alone. I go to UB now and have heard about a lot of crime, like robberies, rapes, and shootings, in the past year on the South Campus. Right now I live in University Village in Amherst, which is much too rowdy for a med student. I think I will have to look into some other Amherst Apartment Complexes. I am eager to start looking at places!

Just accepted! Definitely going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Can't wait..well ok I can wait..it'll be a lot of work!

I am on the wait list and hope to take anatomy over the summer but worry that if I get accepted off the list, it may be too late to sign up. Could someone tell me what period of time anantomy is taught over "summer" and how late can you sign up?

I don't believe that Buffalo offers a summer anatomy course; I know that Upstate does. I may be wrong...

guys where is your "SUNY BUFFALO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE CLASS OF 2012"

facebook group?

just type in 'buffalo 2012' in the search bar on the left after you log in...

Hey all! Got my acceptance packet yesterday - we start August 11th!

Hey guys,
I just got an interview invite for April 23rd.
Do you know/think this is for a waitlist spot? I'm OOS, btw.

Some questions....
1) The airport seems to be very close to the South campus....correct?
2) Where is a decent place to stay near the admissions office....preferably under $90/night.
3) What is the interview like and are there specific things about the program/school I should know about or is important to the school from an applicant?

Thanks.

Congrats everyone! I'm definitely headed to Buffalo, and am in the process of trying to figure out living arrangements for next year. I'm from NYC, so Buffalo's going to be a huge change, although a welcome departure from the ridiculously high cost of living in the city. Does anyone know where most medical students tend to live? I've heard that Amherst is particularly nice. I don't want to have a long commute to school, but also want a safe neighborhood. Thoughts?

I am from the area, and I live in Amherst now and I'm also planning on living there next year. Depending on what part of Amherst you choose, you can have less than a 5 minute commute to school. Of the Amherst apartments, I have heard that Boulevard Towers and Emerson Square Apartments are pretty popular with med students. I have visited them both recently and plan on living at Emerson Square, it looks really nice. Amherst is def. a bit more pricey than Buffalo, but still manageable and I think safety is very important. Hope this helped!

Has anyone heard about the apartments at Country Club Manor? They seem pretty nice; 2 bedrooms are spacious and look to be well maintained. When I google-mapped the distance to UB south campus it says it's about a 15 minute drive, which doesn't seem so bad to me...but I'm also not from the Buffalo area. I liked Emerson Square apartments, but was a bit bummed that they only have 1 bedroom apts. Is anyone looking at other apt. complexes near school or have good websites to check out? Thanks...

Would any current students be able to describe the curriculum? Any insight into the amount of scheduled/mandatory activities each day? It looks like there are a lot of tests during first year, approximately once each week.

How helpful are faculty in helping students outside of class with questions, etc.?

Any insight into any of these issues would be awesome!

Thanks

I may have missed it in all the paperwork... but when does orientation start? I thought I read the 6th of August somewhere.

I'm looking too.

Mr. Rosso said that they will be starting a list-serve soon....

We start Orientation on August 11th, they let us know at Second Look Day.

gohoyas05, scrubbingbubble, kelf, diamond4561 and anyone else that is looking for roommates can drop me a line. Send me a private message and we could talk on the phone to see if it would be a good fit. Here's a bit about me:

Male
27 years old
I'm fairly clean (not OCD clean)
I like working out, skiing/snowboarding, BBQing, reading, traveling...
I dig hanging out in a chill bar from time to time but am definitely past the days of crazy partying

I would like to live in a house that is close enough to the south campus to walk or ride a bike. A house with 3 or 4 fellow students would be sweet.

edit: P.S. I'm not trying to be a creepy dude and solicit women housemates... I just don't who's a guy and who's a girl on this forum. Peace out.

Hey guys,

Congrats on your acceptances.

I sent a couple of yall pm's about housing next year, I'm a single male starting dental school and have looked at a whole bunch of apartments in the area, and am hoping to try and get my name down on some lists soon. If anyone's got any questions about apartments in general, let me know, I've seen quite a few. They are all in Amherst, with a driving distance of at most 10-15 minutes in the morning, probably more like 10 for the farthest.

Would any current students be able to describe the curriculum? Any insight into the amount of scheduled/mandatory activities each day? It looks like there are a lot of tests during first year, approximately once each week.

How helpful are faculty in helping students outside of class with questions, etc.?

Any insight into any of these issues would be awesome!

Thanks

hey there
I am a first year at UB. I will help with your questions.
Aas far as the curriculum, I like it. I feel like I have learned a lot this year, and it is stuff you have been waiting to learn (if you just couldn't wait to be in med school/on your way to be a doctor) like I was:) Honestly the lectures give you the info you need for the most part. I have not really used any books outside of class besides anatomy. With that said, everyone learns differently so you may find extra books and reading helpful.
We do have a lot of exams, I think that is the hardest thing to deal with at first. But it seems more at first (then you get used to it). It is good so the material doesn't build up as much, and it keeps you on your toes. I studied way more 1st semester, I think a lot of it is fear as a 1st year. You get used to it, and learn how much you need to study.
Outside of class the faculty are very helpful. We have a lot of review sessions. They are not mandatory, but I found them very very helpful. I think they helped me a lot on the exams because some go over the most important info from their lectures, while others will take any questions. If you need more time than that they will help. In anatomy the profs would come in and have extra review sessions with groups of people if they asked. It was really helpful.
Let me know if you have any more questions. I know it is an exciting time. Congrats.

Where should I NOT look for an apartment? I would like to live close to the med school but I've heard about the crime. Where is it NOT safe to live? Where is the closest SAFE place to live? What about downtown, is that safe?
What about safe housing on the metro line? It seems like it would be cool to live near downtown or Allentown and take the metro to the South campus??

I just signed a lease this week at Emerson Square, and I am very excited about it! They are all 1-bedroom apartments off of Bailey in Amherst near the Boulevard Mall. They look very nice and are very close to the school. I would def. reccomend looking at them!

Anyone thinking of which PDA to buy? What about the iPod Touch??

I haven't thought about it yet, b/c I dont know which ones we can choose from. Anyone get this info yet?

I haven't thought about it yet, b/c I dont know which ones we can choose from. Anyone get this info yet?

Looking at the Class of 2011 thread, here's what they said about PDA's:

Yep.. you're right. Has to be a palm OS device. You all should get something in the mail in a few weeks telling you all about the PDA requirement. You basically have two options:

-Separate PDA (Palm TX or Palm Lifedrive are the 2 best choices)
-PDA/Phone (Palm Treo)

This is the way I look at it. You really don't use the PDA much at all your first 2 years. I have no idea why its required from day 1. Go with your cheapest option for right now (I got the TX because it was on sale somewhere.) In 2 years when you're going into 3rd year and you'll actually use the PDA a lot, the technology is going to be completely different and there will be much better devices out. Thats when you should spend the exttra $$$ and get a really good pda/phone.

Everyone raelly has their own opinions on the matter... what do you think Liz?

Hey guys, for people who are familiar with/from Buffalo, I have a quick question for you...I am currently on the top 1/3 waitlist, and UB is my favorite and I'm staying optimistic. So, I started to look at housing options, so if I get pulled I won't have to start at square one. I think I found where I would like to live, but it's downtown Buffalo. It's kind of pricey (for Buffalo, but not from where I'm used to paying rents), but it has all of the things I want in an apt! I plan on living with my fiance, which makes safety a bit less of a concern than it would be if I was a single girl living alone- he's big, and makes me feel safe :D Would you suggest NOT living in the downtown district for any reason, in a secure building? Everywhere up in Amherst and that area seems kind of college-y and cheap,which is what I'm trying to avoid. Pointing me in any kind of direction would be very appreciated!

That is ridiculous. Why not let us choose which type to buy??

I've been told that the Iphone now has Palm OS emulation software. Assuming this is correct, you might be able to swing it :thumbup:

Last edited:
Only buy a PDA if you feel like wasting your money. You won't need it despite what they tell you. Nuff Said.

I thought they made you buy it??

No, they do not make you buy one. They just pressure you to buy one by letting you think it's really important and you won't succeed without it. Like Noeljan said, it will be used on one test and even there it is optional. I would say about 30-50% of my class never bought a PDA.

No, they do not make you buy one. They just pressure you to buy one by letting you think it's really important and you won't succeed without it. Like Noeljan said, it will be used on one test and even there it is optional. I would say about 30-50% of my class never bought a PDA.

What did the people without one do on that test? Were they successful?