SUNY Buffalo or CUNY Baruch/ Queens College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here goes to SUNY Buffalo or CUNY Baruch or Queens College for premed? I am currently planning on going to either of these schools but not sure of what it may be like. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure where you're from, I don't go to UB but I'm pretty familiar with it/the area. A lot of people will talk down about the location but personally I like Buffalo, it's not the most glamorous or lively city but it's a blue collar town that helps you grow. The science program at UB is pretty strong, and there's the med school on South campus. Plus there's all the different hospitals (including Roswell) to volunteer at, and you can never forget chicken wings at Duff's

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take classes at south and north campus simultaneously or only one? Also would a car be mandatory to be living at buffalo? I currently living in Manhattan and subway/buses are enough to get around. Would buffalo make it hard to live without a car?

You can take classes on both simultaneously, I currently do. In terms of a car, it's always easier with a car but UB is pretty good about the bussing and is relatively close to things. For example, every weekend there are busses to the local grocery stores and the mall, as well as frequent busses between campuses. South campus is located right next to down town so u basically walk a few steps off campus and u can walk into a club or frat house. North campus is located less than a mile away from the local mall/ many restaurants. That being said, it gets pretty cold here and can snow a bunch so walking anywhere during the winter is a chore if u have to. That all being said, people get along just fine without a car, but it always helps to have one if u can.

You can take classes on both simultaneously, I currently do. In terms of a car, it's always easier with a car but UB is pretty good about the bussing and is relatively close to things. For example, every weekend there are busses to the local grocery stores and the mall, as well as frequent busses between campuses. South campus is located right next to down town so u basically walk a few steps off campus and u can walk into a club or frat house. North campus is located less than a mile away from the local mall/ many restaurants. That being said, it gets pretty cold here and can snow a bunch so walking anywhere during the winter is a chore if u have to. That all being said, people get along just fine without a car, but it always helps to have one if u can.

Are there many car crashes because of the intense amount of snow? Also, is the area outside south campus safe? I heard from a couple of places about the area being king of sketchy. Also hows the premed courses up there. I will be taking Organic and Physics in Fall 2012; are professors easy or they tend to weed people out? I know buffalo has an early assurance program and students who maintain at least a 3.75 are automatically considered so does this mean getting a 3.75 is ridiculously hard?

Are there many car crashes because of the intense amount of snow? Also, is the area outside south campus safe? I heard from a couple of places about the area being king of sketchy. Also hows the premed courses up there. I will be taking Organic and Physics in Fall 2012; are professors easy or they tend to weed people out? I know buffalo has an early assurance program and students who maintain at least a 3.75 are automatically considered so does this mean getting a 3.75 is ridiculously hard?

You ask the most ridiculously idiotic questions I have ever read in 8 years on this board. People who live in snowy climates (like me growing up in upstate ny) know how to drive in snow. End of story. Maybe not in india or pakistan...but us NYers get on just fine in the snow.

Having a 3.75 does not give u early assurance. Idk where u got that from. U need a high gpa and High sat (idk the exact numbers), u need to do well on a series of interviews and have a good list of ECs. U get invited to apply to the medical school early and out of the maybe 15 people that get invited only a few even get it

Having a 3.75 does not give u early assurance. Idk where u got that from. U need a high gpa and High sat (idk the exact numbers), u need to do well on a series of interviews and have a good list of ECs. U get invited to apply to the medical school early and out of the maybe 15 people that get invited only a few even get it

Ok sorry for the wrong information but how hard is it actually to get a 3.75+ and are the courses designed to weed people out, particularly organic and physics?

You ask the most ridiculously idiotic questions I have ever read in 8 years on this board. People who live in snowy climates (like me growing up in upstate ny) know how to drive in snow. End of story. Maybe not in india or pakistan...but us NYers get on just fine in the snow.

Oh yeah? Well if people knew how to drive, they wouldn't be so terrible on the roads; the facts speak for themselves.

P.S. next time you try insulting indian/pakistan drivers, remember to take a quick look at this video and tell me if you or any buffalo dude can drive in these conditions. The point is drivers from these 2 countries are the best in the world and they don't even require insurance because people know how to drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEELbpPSTzA

Ok sorry for the wrong information but how hard is it actually to get a 3.75+ and are the courses designed to weed people out, particularly organic and physics?
The main weeders at UB for pre meds are Evolutionary biology and Organic Chemistry. Evolution is the Bio I at UB and it is brutal, but you learn a lot.

UB may be a state school, but most of the courses are not easy A's. Be prepared to work hard for a 3.75.

I took calculus based physics and it was very demanding and required strong math skills, but from what I have heard from classmates, the algebra physics is no easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.