Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Suny Buffalo

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jglemonade1, Nov 4, 2002.

1. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Did anyone get this e-mail from SUNY Buffalo today? I got it...I wonder how many people they sent that out too and what it means....

Dear Applicant,

Your application has been reviewed and evaluated by our Committee, and a decision has been made to place your application in our "Intermediate" pool.

As the year progresses, and we can further evaluate our applicant pool, "Intermediates" will either move up into our "Invite" group or down to our "Reject" group. It will NOT be necessary for you to communicate with us as we will automatically reevaluate your application at scheduled intervals and compare it to our constantly changing pool.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This means that you are basically on a waitlist because of the rolling admissions process. They want to check out their total applicant pool and compare them with you. For example, they would probably put you in the middle right now, but if a bunch of August MCATers or those who completed their application later on in the process have better scores overall than you, you may be then rejected. However, if the pool starts to even out and you are still in the average or slightly above, you will get yourself an interview. My advice: So far it looks as though you have acceptable stats for SUNY Buffalo...if you are really interested in them, send them a letter to let them know and also any improvements to your app.

What were your stats???? Please post, this would help a lot!

4. harper14

harper14 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I got this same letter from UB and my numbers are 9,9,N,10
    and a 3.5ish. I am also from NY

anyone else is similar situation?

5. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a lot for the input. I know exactly why I'm on the waitlist it is because of my crappy MCAT scores....I hope I can get off though because this is my first choice since I live here. I took the MCAT two times. The first time I got a V-7,P-8,B-11,Q(26 total), and the second time I got a V-9,P-8,B-9,Q(26 total). My GPA is really good though, 3.9. I got all A's in the pre-med classes, which I hope helps. I am also a CFR(Certified First Responder) and worked volunteer with that. I also did other volunteer work. I'm really hoping that they'll look past my MCAT scores and that I will get in. So you think I should write them a letter? Thanks so much!

6. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh yea...I forgot to mention that I got to UB as an undergrad so I'm hoping they might look favorably on that?

7. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Good ECs and letters too? Trying to figure out if they are separating numbers from ECs/LORs yet.

Thanks

8. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea I think my Letters of Recommendation are pretty good. I have a lot of EC's also. CFR, volunteer with People Inc, Research, Pres. of an honor society, play tennis, violin, I work about 15 hours a week, and I'm taking an EMT class next semester.

9. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

I think when they see SUNY Buffalo as your undergrad they MAY get a warm fuzzy...it may not be much BUT could be that lil extra cushion to get your bumped up into the acceptance pile. I am not positive, of course but it seems to me that the SUNYs sort of band together, which like I said could give you a lil' extra.

Yeah, I say go for the letter! When they say communicate in the e-mail they sent you, they mean they don't want kids calling all the time wondering if the status has changed. IMHO, you could write a letter telling them that UB is one of your top schools, maybe what you liked about it as undergrad, etc. etc.

Did you apply to any of the other SUNYs? Any other interviews yet?

Good luck....goooo SUNY!

10. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

I applied to all the SUNY schools and many other private schools around New York. Have not heard anything back yet from any of them. I am really hoping I get in somewhere...but really want to go to UB.

11. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

I got the same letter in the mail like 2 weeks ago.
    I have an undergrad GPA of 3.19, MPH GPA of 3.8, MCAT 11B,12P, 11V, Q. also, NY resident.
    So my take on the situation is that we are on a waitlist to be interviewed, is that about right? That sounds messed up.

12. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Yeah, in short, a waitlist for an interview. I am sort of suprised that you got this with your nice MCAT scores. How have you done with other schools. Also, please feel free to tell me how you got the nice MCAT score :)

Thanks

13. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Hang in there man, I have a good feeling you will get your interview. If UB is definately your first choice, by all means definately write them a letter and let them know of this (in a subtle way not so that you aren't begging)

Good luck!

14. jglemonade1

jglemonade1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a lot! My neighbor used to be on the head of admissions there...and I think I'm going to give him a call tomorrow to see what he says about this. I'll keep you guys posted if I find out anything useful.

15. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

DylanFan,
    I got in to SUNY downstate, and I had interviews at Albany and Upstate, but haven't heard back, and thats all the schools I have heard from. The upstate interview was a weird, weird experience, I talked about it on some other post.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49611

On another note, I am convinced that MCATs need to be like >37 to overcome piss-poor undergrad grades like mine. I got rejected from BU today.

16. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Brownman,

Wow, quite the bizarre story I'd say at the least. I guess you do have to watch out for those undergrad grades, but at least you know already that you can be a doctor. Don't worry too much about BU...I 'm working there right now as a research assistant for a co-op period and for the price tag of that school you would expect better facilities (not that they are bad, but mediocre). Again, good luck with UB and keep us posted on this SUNY thread.

P.S. What worked best for you in your MCAT Prep??

17. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

DylanFan,
    I know, BU is pretty damn expensive, state school is sweet. But still, its always nice, to know that someone wants you. I PM'd you about the MCAT.

18. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Yeah, Brownman, you are totally correct that to wave an acceptance in the air is just a notch above orgasm!:D

Thanks for the PM

19. Kurleyfry

Kurleyfry Member
    7+ Year Member

Is everyone who got this "intermediate" placement e-mail at SUNY Buffalo an August MCATer?? I'm trying to figure out why I got this e-mail too, I thought I'd at least get an interview there. I was just wondering if everyone who took the MCAT in August got this e-mail because they are backed up in the admissions office and just trying to buy some time. Anyone out there take the August test and get an interview or rejection??

20. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

I got the letter, and took the MCAT in August of 2000, so its not just recent MCAT takers who are on the "intermediate" list.

Is it just me, or is the idea of a waitlist to be interviewed ridiculus, like shouldn't they have some clue about who they want to let into their school? Its not like an interview is binding in any way, so shouldn't they just interview whoever they would consider letting in, based on AMCAS?
    Just me complaining.

21. JJNY

JJNY 0-MD in 4.0yrs Buckle up!
    7+ Year Member

I just got that "intermediate pool" email on Monday. Makes no sense to me, since I already have 5 interviews at "better" schools. :rolleyes:

BTW, I took the MCAT in August 2001 and had my file complete the first week of September.

22. serge23

serge23 Member
    7+ Year Member

I wonder how come some ppl get emails and other get snail mail... I got a letter daying the s**t about being in an internmediate pool. Like brownman an JJ i think its ridiculous to be on a waiting list for an interview...Either interview the person or just reject them. It will be worse if you are on hold just to get an interview and then on hold to hear a decison...thats just to much waiting.

it's funny though because I got interviews at NYU and Einstein, yet I am hold for UB. This process is so random.

I heard somewhere that buffalo favors those who come from western NY. I am from NYC so that doest hold favorably for me. Anyone know if this is true?

23. I think that it is generally known that those from the western new york area recieve a little bit of favoritism. I don't think it's too great of a factor though.

24. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

I luved the Bills/Sabres comment:clap:

What is up with Buffalo, I think they are getting hold button happy. Dang UB, get your head out of your A** and get with the program.

P.S. Maybe they accepted too many the first round by accident, it's happened before I think.

25. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

I know why everybody applying to SUNY Buffalo is on hold:

#1. You did not say in your application or tell your interviewer that your favorite food is buffalo wings

#2. You did not tell them that Irv Weinstein was your roll model when growing up

#3. You did not tell them you memorized every recipe created by Mr. Food

#4. You did not tell them that 5 foot piles of snow was your favorite memory of your childhood

#5. You DID tell them that the Buffalo Bills were the sorriest team in the NFL for losing every Super Bowl chance they had

I would write more, but bed time calls.;)

26. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

27. klp14

klp14 Member in Flipflops
    7+ Year Member

I heard from them today that they the next review of applications is 12/4 so it sounds like they picked up too many in the first wave.

28. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

29. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey UB interviewers,
    I interviewed on 10/30, and they said they will be sending out their next batch of decisions end of Nov/beginning of Dec. Anyone who is in this "batch," let me know when you hear something. Thanks.

30. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, nobody responded to my last post, but yesterday I received my ACCEPTANCE LETTER!!! I totally did not think I would get it so soon. It was just a regular envelope, so I was pretty nervous opening it, but I'm in!!! What a relief.

31. jkway

jkway Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

JMD,

Do you mind posting your stats? Do you go to UB for undergrad? Congrats on the acceptence!!

32. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: That is awesome!!!

Gooooooooooo SUNY :clap: :clap:

33. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

jkway,
    Stats are about a 3.7 GPA (both science and non), 29 MCAT-August 2002 (11v, 9p, 9b). I'm a 2001 Canisius Grad. I think being a Western New Yorker had something to do with it, because I got an interview invite about 5 days after my file was complete, and I've been accepted before even receiving an interview invite from any of the 14 other schools I applied to (including Upstate + Downstate). Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

34. Lascivious

Lascivious Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Got the same letter. I've been waiting since mid-October. :confused:

35. BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member