SUNY Downstate Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarygary

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any West-coasters recieved an acceptance from SUNY Downstate? If so, can you PLEASE tell me when you interviewed and when you recieved the acceptance?

I interviewed on 9/26 and I haven't heard anything yet.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not west coast, but I am far west of NYC...I interviewed 9-24 and I haven't heard anything either

It has been a while, can someone reanswer this question...

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 9/26 and I live in the midwest and I still haven't heard anything. My interviewer specifically told me to call the office if I hadn't heard by the end of Oct.

I know SDNers have been having trouble getting any answers from the admissions office. Do you think they're backlogged? or do you think the interviewer had the wrong information regarding when I'd hear back?

I'm just getting a little worried!

west coast, 9/17 interview, haven't heard anything yet...

I'm curious, when were you marked as complete for downstate?

this may not help you guys, but i'm a west coaster who was accepted to downstate this past cycle. it took about 5 months post interview just to get on the waitlist and another month to get off it. no joke

the administrative gears turn pretty slowly here but stuff does get done. have faith

What bothers me is that people have already received acceptances...like people who interviewed six days before me. I heard that in the last cycle they got really backed up. Five months is ridiculous though. I might give them a holla tomorrow and see what they say...honestly i have an interview at wfu and i would totally save myself $500 if they give me an answer...a good answer.

btw I was complete 8-20

VBH-- Did you call them? Any outcome?

I'm thinking about calling too.

Yeah I called them this morning...She told me that the acceptances will be delivered sometime between 6-8 weeks. She was kinda rude, but I would be too if people kept pestering me. She told me they would most likely go to the permanent address

Yeah, the admissions office can be a little slow. Last year I think it took 2 months to get invited for an interview then another month and a half to get my acceptance.... But definitely worth it.

interviewed 9/18 and still nothing... I called and she just told me to wait. Permanent address though, huh...? that could be bad...

interviewed 9/18 and still nothing... I called and she just told me to wait. Permanent address though, huh...? that could be bad...

Don't think so... I was a unique case b/c I got an e-mail implying that I had been accepted about the MPH program before I actually got official word that I was in, but my acceptance packet arrived a few days later. Most people find out they're accepted from a packet. Downstate doesn't call or e-mail you to tell you you've been accepted (except maybe after May 15th), it's all snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying to MD/MPH program, it is possible to get accepted to MPH but not MD? Just wondering...

this may not help you guys, but i'm a west coaster who was accepted to downstate this past cycle. it took about 5 months post interview just to get on the waitlist and another month to get off it. no joke

the administrative gears turn pretty slowly here but stuff does get done. have faith

Do you know roughly how many students they interview and how many acceptance letters they hand out each year? I'm just calculating my odds.

i'm from california and interviewed on 9/27 for Suny downstate. I just got my acceptance today. it was dated 11/6. I guess it takes mail 11 days to come from new york.
I called about two weeks ago and the lady told me to wait 6-8 weeks for a response. good luck to everyone

I live about 400 miles from downstate and interviewed on September 10th, and received my acceptance letter october 20thish or so.

customer_service_desk_sleeping.gif

SUNY Downstate Admissions Office :laugh:

bump ~ any action?

I just received a letter yesterday.
It says my application was put on hold for consideration in spring.
Does anyone know chance of getting accepted for post-interview holds?

FYI, my interview was on 10/17, and I am OOS.

I just received a letter yesterday.
It says my application was put on hold for consideration in spring.
Does anyone know chance of getting accepted for post-interview holds?

FYI, my interview was on 10/17, and I am OOS.
Really? Where do you live? I'm assuming Maryland from your name, but just want to make sure. ;) I interviewed before you and have not received anything, but my mail has been messed up the last ~2 weeks, so now I'm worried I might have been sent something and didn't receive it.

I got the same letter yesterday, and it was a little puzzling because I thought my interviews went very well. It was also odd how the letter asked me to send my Spring grades when they are available, but did not mention Fall grades? I'm not sure if I am willing to wait for their final decision or not.

I got the same letter yesterday, and it was a little puzzling because I thought my interviews went very well. It was also odd how the letter asked me to send my Spring grades when they are available, but did not mention Fall grades? I'm not sure if I am willing to wait for their final decision or not.
Hey Dancer 1986, when you go to your admissions checklist page, does it just have the stuff about LOR's, MCAT score with the green checkmarks or does it also have a whole list of health stuff and Registration requirements with red X's next to them?

On my checklist page it still has all of the AMCAS, MCAT, LOR stuff with the green check marks. Does yours have something different? Maybe that means you were accepted? Although I do remember some people posting about this a while back that the checklist changed to the health forms stuff, and then changed back. I am sure you will hear something soon though, my interview was on 10/22.

On my checklist page it still has all of the AMCAS, MCAT, LOR stuff with the green check marks. Does yours have something different? Maybe that means you were accepted? Although I do remember some people posting about this a while back that the checklist changed to the health forms stuff, and then changed back. I am sure you will hear something soon though, my interview was on 10/22.
Oh man, 33 mcat and 3.98 gpa and a hold? Now you make me really nervous. :confused:

Really? Where do you live? I'm assuming Maryland from your name, but just want to make sure. ;) I interviewed before you and have not received anything, but my mail has been messed up the last ~2 weeks, so now I'm worried I might have been sent something and didn't receive it.

Yeah, I'm in Maryland, and I don't have those registration stuff on the status checklist. :oops:

I'm dying here SUNY, some sort of response please...

I interviewed on 10/23, no word yet. Calling the office to make a status check is a BAD idea, right???

oh, and I'm a West coaster...

I interviewed on 10/23, no word yet. Calling the office to make a status check is a BAD idea, right???

10/23?? Haha don't hold your breath. I interviewed in september and still haven't gotten my decision. at the 8 week point, i was away for a week and my neighbor accidentally threw out all of my mail, so i thought my decision might have come then. It took me quite a few phone calls and emails to get them to even look it up for me, after which they finally told me that no decision had been made yet. And now i'm coming up on 3 months since my interview and no word. and i'm a NY resident.

10/23?? Haha don't hold your breath. I interviewed in september and still haven't gotten my decision. at the 8 week point, i was away for a week and my neighbor accidentally threw out all of my mail, so i thought my decision might have come then. It took me quite a few phone calls and emails to get them to even look it up for me, after which they finally told me that no decision had been made yet. And now i'm coming up on 3 months since my interview and no word. and i'm a NY resident.

aaj117, I interviewed a week before you (9/20) and received my decision about a month ago (11/14), so that is very odd...

not to offend anyone, but downstate has a pretty poorly organized admissions office which reflects very negatively on the school.

aaj117, I interviewed a week before you (9/20) and received my decision about a month ago (11/14), so that is very odd...
I'm pretty sure that my decision came when my mail was thrown away, as that would be the right time period ( i was away from 11/10-11/18). They refused to look it up for me the first four times i talked to them, i woudln't doubt that they just said nothing was sent to appease me when they claimed to look it up. I don't honestly care, as i had a bad experience at the school on my interview day, my interviewer was rude to me, attacking me and telling me that i didn't really want to go into medicine, and now the admissions people have been rude to me in dealing with this problem. I would withdraw but i get too irritated whenever i call to even get that far. plus i feel like i spent enough money on the application and going to the interivew that i just want to know if i handled myself well enough in such a wierd itnerview situation to get in.

So did you call the office? Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

yup, I called. I kept myself anonymous and asked when I could expect a reply. They said that it usually takes 10 weeks for a decision. ugh, oh well... I guess at least I can stop waiting so eagerly for a while more.

Does anyone know if the adcom meets during the winter break? Does any of you SDN'ers out there still get acceptance/reject/waitlist letters from Downstate? Arrr, the long wait is killing me. :smuggrin:

Yeah, i got an acceptance in the mail on monday, but i think that this may have been sent out earlier and then resent in response to my emails about my mail being thrown out, even though they claimed i hadn't missed anything. So anyway, yes, i did recieve a decision this week. i interviewed back in sept. And i withdrew yesterday, so hopefully one of you guys can get that spot.

Yeah, i got an acceptance in the mail on monday, but i think that this may have been sent out earlier and then resent in response to my emails about my mail being thrown out, even though they claimed i hadn't missed anything. So anyway, yes, i did recieve a decision this week. i interviewed back in sept. And i withdrew yesterday, so hopefully one of you guys can get that spot.
Congrats on your acceptance (finally) and sorry you have to go thru all that. Which one is you in your avatar, btw?

Never mind, I just read your profile.

Congrats on your acceptance (finally) and sorry you have to go thru all that. Which one is you in your avatar, btw?

Never mind, I just read your profile.
hehe i'm the girl. (i'm mixed, half black half white, turned into a latina look for some reason). Just put up an avatar recently because i love this pic.
Thanks for the congrats. This whole process is too long, too much waiting, but i wish everyone who is still waiting lots of luck! Don't let it bring you down.

congratulations aaj117!

Think you'll end up there? If I get an acceptance I am almost surely going... I've got a few other interviews coming up (at arguably better schools), but I pretty much want to be in NYC and I really like the school itself. I should be hearing back in the next week. eeeeeej.....

congratulations aaj117!

Think you'll end up there? If I get an acceptance I am almost surely going... I've got a few other interviews coming up (at arguably better schools), but I pretty much want to be in NYC and I really like the school itself. I should be hearing back in the next week. eeeeeej.....
No, i actually already withdrew. Hopefully that will help you out! I really want to be in NYC too, but this just wasn't the right school for me. Good luck:luck: and don't expect to hear from them whenever they said to, give it a few extra weeks.

i interviewed end of october and got the decision yesterday so 8 weeks for everyone trying to gauge when they'll hear back

seriously?? you got that yesterday?? That means mine could be on it's way too...

congratulations on your acceptance, cubalibre!

i interviewed end of october and got the decision yesterday so 8 weeks for everyone trying to gauge when they'll hear back
3 acceptances. wow! what is your pick?

Most of SDN'ers who interviewed at SUNY Downstate got accepted. Does anyone know the post-interview accepted:waitlisted:rejected ratio?

ugh, I just got a letter. I am on hold until they get "my fall grades and updated list of activities." I work in a coffee shop!! I have to support myself... aggggggg, and I only could take one course this term, physics lab, and it's only one credit and non-graded. Any idea why they would put me on hold for this? I guess I'm also volunteering a bit...

ugh, I just got a letter. I am on hold until they get "my fall grades and updated list of activities." I work in a coffee shop!! I have to support myself... aggggggg, and I only could take one course this term, physics lab, and it's only one credit and non-graded. Any idea why they would put me on hold for this? I guess I'm also volunteering a bit...
Is that same as waitlisted?

no, it's not. The letter says that "your application will be placed in our "HOLD" category until we receive the requested items." And then the handwritten "fall grades plus updates of list of activities". I am freaking out here.

Has anyone interviewed and got rejected at SUNY Downstate? I'm just wondering if they normally put you on hold/waitlist or reject you immediately.

Any word from SUNY Downstate after the holiday break? Anyone?

nope... waiting to see what they think of my grades and such. Arrgg! makes me nervous, but I have an interview at georgetown and then drexel this week, so I should try not to think of it, probably.