SUNY Downstate: Any older students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilanahg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there were any fellow Downstaters out there who are at least 2+ years out of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

ilanahg said:
Just wondering if there were any fellow Downstaters out there who are at least 2+ years out of undergrad?

I've been out of undergrad for 3 years

BGGA said:
I've been out of undergrad for 3 years

I've been out for 5-- one of the things i'm a little nervous about is the relative age of the class-- they seemed to be extremely young.

what did you do in your intervening time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a research technician working on RNA interference. I can't believe it I started three years ago, time just flew by. Let me make a little amendment. While it was three years ago that I graduated undergrad, I did a five year dual degree program so I'm probably only one year younger than you.

I'm not really concerned about my age relative to the rest of the class. Downstate has a large class and since the mean age hovers around 23 or 24 there should be a decent amount of students our age. My general feeling is unless you have a spouse or children, there probably won't be too much of a difference between 24, 25, 26, 27 year old medical students. I may be wrong but time will tell.

What have you been up to these past five years?

BGGA said:
I worked as a research technician working on RNA interference. I can't believe it I started three years ago, time just flew by. Let me make a little amendment. While it was three years ago that I graduated undergrad, I did a five year dual degree program so I'm probably only one year younger than you.

I'm not really concerned about my age relative to the rest of the class. Downstate has a large class and since the mean age hovers around 23 or 24 there should be a decent amount of students our age. My general feeling is unless you have a spouse or children, there probably won't be too much of a difference between 24, 25, 26, 27 year old medical students. I may be wrong but time will tell.

What have you been up to these past five years?

actually, we're probably the same age then-- I graduated young. Let's see...I got an MA (anthropolgy)-- what's your master's in? Then I moved back to nyc (my fiancee started med school here) and I started a postbacc program. So i caught up on my sciences, worked full time, and volunteered in Columbia's Peds ER.

You're probably right about the age thing-- we're all in our 20s (which in the scheme of things is probably not too much of a difference).

BTW-- have you gotten any information on orientation yet?