SUNY Downstate, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina 07

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about how they're doing in handing out acceptances? I reckon they're mostly interviewing for the waitlist now, but can confirm/deny this?

Boyf just got an interview for March 15.

Wow, he's doing so well this cycle! He got 7 interviews, although admittedly all between Jan and March and mostly at rolling schools so god knows how many waitlists he'll be waiting on.

Members don't see this ad.

interviewed 1/29; interviewer said it would take three weeks to review my file and then about 8 weeks to hear back from them via snail mail. i don't know if this one was, or any subsequent interview is, for waitlist but i doubt it. it would seem that there would be a lot of movement on downstate's waitlist when that time comes, and so to interview for just a waitlist spot would be pointless. either way though i think the # of granted interviews for your boyfriend puts the numbers on his side to get in somewhere; hopefully somewhere he wants.

Does that mean 8 weeks total, or 11 weeks?

I interviewed mid-Jan, so am curious when I should expect any sort of word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean 8 weeks total, or 11 weeks?

I interviewed mid-Jan, so am curious when I should expect any sort of word.

sorry 8 weeks total. if you don't mind post on here when you hear from them so we can see how long it actually did take. good luck

I interviewed back in september, heard back in late december that they spent all that time to have no decision made on my application and that a final decision would be made in the spring. so now i am just waiting

I interviewed back in september, heard back in late december that they spent all that time to have no decision made on my application and that a final decision would be made in the spring. so now i am just waiting

that sucks. how did they word that?

I got that letter too. I can't remember exactly what the wording was but it was along the lines of "you are being held for spring consideration" but I'm not sure what month that will be. So basically it told me nothing.

My friend just got a similar response about spring consideration.

I am interviewing on 3/12 so I hope they are still offering acceptances

May I make a suggestion. Send a letter of intent!

Worked when i sent it two weeks after my interview. I also had a friend that received spring consideration and sent it on may 10th and received an acceptance a week later.

Best,
Dave

May I make a suggestion. Send a letter of intent!

Worked when i sent it two weeks after my interview. I also had a friend that received spring consideration and sent it on may 10th and received an acceptance a week later.

Best,
Dave

an actual letter via snail mail to the admissions office? or an email. because i sent an email a while ago but never heard any confirmation or anything. also i am an out of stater.

an actual letter via snail mail to the admissions office? or an email. because i sent an email a while ago but never heard any confirmation or anything. also i am an out of stater.

These should be snail mail. Some might tell you otherwise, but I think snail is the most professional way to go.

These should be snail mail. Some might tell you otherwise, but I think snail is the most professional way to go.

Yeah - send snail mail and request a return receipt so that you can be sure it arrives.

Actually, I always thought snail mail was the way to go but I called Downstate admissions before I sent mine and she said to just email it so that it makes it to your file quicker. I also got a response the next day saying thank you for your letter, and that they added it to my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
what really sucks about this on hold for spring is that i had a great interview. my interviewer even stopped right short of saying that he'd have no reason why not to recommend me for the incoming class. he almost did, but then realized what he was about to say and bit his tongue. so i thought to myself, "hey, i think i might get in this school."

8 weeks later, spring consideration.
since then, no word.

I interviewed early January, was told 8-10 weeks and heard yesterday via snail mail. (favorably)

Good luck all!

Hopefully Ill hear soon, based on the previous couple of responses I may hear in a couple of weeks, hopefully its good news regardless.

I too am on hold for spring consideration =(
It was really disappointing because my mom saw the thin envelope and basically freaked out (since I only have 2 interviews total it's kind of a big deal when one of them gives a thin envelope).

Thankfully it wasn't a flat out rejection, but seriously I was basically counting on at least getting a real acceptance so I could stop freaking out about whether I would be going to med school or not this fall :(

Now I'm debating whether to just write them a letter of intent right now or wait until after my Stony Brook interview, since I can only really write one letter of intent and I'm still not sure which school I'd rather use it on.

*sigh*

From what I could tell though, there was decent movement from hold->waitlist come June, so all hope isn't lost, but the idea of waiting until June to have a single acceptance is really scary to me.

Now I'm debating whether to just write them a letter of intent right now or wait until after my Stony Brook interview, since I can only really write one letter of intent and I'm still not sure which school I'd rather use it on.

Why can you only write one letter? You can always write a letter to both schools, you just dont have to swear up and down that you would go to that school if they accepted you..but you can write to both of them telling them about how awsome they are and great you would be together..

interview 1/10, havent heard anything. oos

i interviewed at cornell but i kinda liked downstate better. is that ok?

I just got an interviw offer for March 13. Does this effect my chances of getting in? (will it just mean a spot on the waiting list versus an actual acceptance)

I just got an interviw offer for March 13. Does this effect my chances of getting in?

Yes, your chance of acceptance just increased greatly from what it was when you didn't have an interview offer.

Yes, your chance of acceptance just increased greatly from what it was when you didn't have an interview offer.

DUH!!!!!! :rolleyes: I really wanted to know if the class was already filled at this point or are there still more spots in the class?

Kappy, I think the point is that none of us really knows the chances of being admitted at this point. If you want to attend Downstate, do your best at the interview and hope for the best. While nobody can tell you how likely it is that you'll get in, you're on your way with the interview offer. Good luck :) My interview is the week before yours.

Anyone know about how they're doing in handing out acceptances? I reckon they're mostly interviewing for the waitlist now, but can confirm/deny this?

Boyf just got an interview for March 15.

Wow, he's doing so well this cycle! He got 7 interviews, although admittedly all between Jan and March and mostly at rolling schools so god knows how many waitlists he'll be waiting on.

I interviewed January 16, and got accepted 2/28 via snail mail.

My interviewer (who said he is "one of the deans") told me that it would take AT MOST 8-10 weeks. He also said that its very possible that someone interviewed after would be presented before me, because certain people have to be present at a given meeting for applicants to be considered (i.e. interviewer, person assigned to run the presentation of your file, someone else). He said that after mid-march things are relatively quiet, but they accept more people slowly (1 by 1), as others withdraw their deposits. Then, he said, in May there is another "flurry" of acceptances as people withdraw deposits before the deadline. Again, after that flurry, things are quiet, except for maybe a couple more acceptances.

I interviewed January 16, and got accepted 2/28 via snail mail.

My interviewer (who said he is "one of the deans") told me that it would take AT MOST 8-10 weeks. He also said that its very possible that someone interviewed after would be presented before me, because certain people have to be present at a given meeting for applicants to be considered (i.e. interviewer, person assigned to run the presentation of your file, someone else). He said that after mid-march things are relatively quiet, but they accept more people slowly (1 by 1), as others withdraw their deposits. Then, he said, in May there is another "flurry" of acceptances as people withdraw deposits before the deadline. Again, after that flurry, things are quiet, except for maybe a couple more acceptances.

congrats!!!!! and thanks for the info about the details of the process. i think i might be screwed if the interviewer is going to present my case cuz it went badly but whatever, just want to know already.

congrats!!!!! and thanks for the info about the details of the process. i think i might be screwed if the interviewer is going to present my case cuz it went badly but whatever, just want to know already.

I thought my interview was dicey too and I got in... Don't lose hope! ;)

For those that got in, can you please post your stats? This is my first choice school and I'm hopefully applying this year.

Thanks

For downstate acceptance stats check out mdapplicant.com.

Best,
dave

I thought my interview was dicey too and I got in... Don't lose hope! ;)

I'll tell you about dicey interviews...

My interviewer couldn't make it because of a medical emergency, but the admissions office didn't find out till 10:00am (my interview time!) came around and he didn't show up. Turns out, he sent a fax to the wrong fax machine.

I interviewed with someone that knew nothing about me. Walking from the admissions office to his office he didn't say a word, he was flipping through my file as fast as he could. That was a loooooonnnnnngggg and awkward walk. I think he was just POed that admissions screwed up, and he had to clean up for them (i.e. do the interview) w/o notice ahead of time.

During the interview, he told me he was just going to ask questions my other interviewer prepared for me b/c he didn't know what to ask me himself. 20 mins later, we were done with those questions, and a couple he came up with on the spot. I asked him my one question, we talked a little more, and we were done about 10 min after that. yep. 30 minute interview, just about 10 minutes were spent talking about nothing that had to do with the school...

I got in. Go figure.

For those that got in, can you please post your stats? This is my first choice school and I'm hopefully applying this year.

Thanks

Cum. GPA: 3.74
Sci. GPA: 3.66
MCAT: 29P
Verbal: 7
Physical: 11
Biological: 11

Interviewed in mid-December I think? Accepted MD/PhD mid-January?

i applied late last year (didn't get my secondaries in til end of december) and got my interview at Downstate around march 11. i got in almost exactly 10 weeks later, which was what they quoted me. so don't worry! i was sure that they were only wait listing but they definitely weren't. also, the waitlist does see a lot of movement. hang in there folks.

also, fyi:

cum gpa (ivy school) 3.55
science gpa 3.3
mcat 31 (12 v, 10 p, 9 b)

got an interview invite yesterday...and I thought they forgot about me :)

I think what helped me most at my interview (january) was showing that I am actually sincere in wanting to go to Downstate (and I actually am, too!). I think I read on the interview feedbacks that someone last year or the year before was told by his/her interviewer that they didn't think the student would actually go to downstate because they were really good and were probably going to get in elsewhere...

hey people,

my gut tells me i received a decision in the mail today (interview 1/29). alas i am away from my apt for the next week. i REALLY want to call admissions but don't want to be a pain; especially if they won't reveal anything over the phone. anyone have any luck getting a decision over the phone?

hey, figured i'de post this since i was hounding everyone who said they heard a decision from downstate how long it took.

interviewed on 1/29 and heard 3/10. Its through snail mail and comes in a large brown envelope. i felt like my interview was real bad, but i got the envelope and am running with it (other posters on sdn were right about this)!!!!! anyhow good luck everyone!

Wow - that was some gut feeling :) Hope something is coming in the mail for me this week!:luck:

hey, figured i'de post this since i was hounding everyone who said they heard a decision from downstate how long it took.

interviewed on 1/29 and heard 3/10. Its through snail mail and comes in a large brown envelope. i felt like my interview was real bad, but i got the envelope and am running with it (other posters on sdn were right about this)!!!!! anyhow good luck everyone!

Congrats.

thanks guys!!!! congrats to you as well and luck for those who are waiting.

btw did you all know that there is a financial aid form to fill out online at suny downstate's website? this is in addition to filling out the fafsa. i don't remember them saying anything at the interview and i totally filled this out too late. anyhow, anyone, whether already accepted or applying, fill out this form!!!! (unfortunately i don't have the link in front of me and am too lazy to look it up.) will do so though if anyone asks

later

thanks guys!!!! congrats to you as well and luck for those who are waiting.

btw did you all know that there is a financial aid form to fill out online at suny downstate's website? this is in addition to filling out the fafsa. i don't remember them saying anything at the interview and i totally filled this out too late. anyhow, anyone, whether already accepted or applying, fill out this form!!!! (unfortunately i don't have the link in front of me and am too lazy to look it up.) will do so though if anyone asks

later

Diggitybop, I would really appreciate it if you can give me the link. I interviewed at downstate Feb 26th. I hope I get in.

the 10 week post-interview response timeframe has passed. i emailed the admissions office and they said maybe a couple more weeks. sigh

is anyone else having to wait this long? whats the deal

jan 10th. it went really well, but with no response at this point i'm gettin nervous