SUNY DOWNSTATE - application problems!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEdaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter from SUNY Downstate saying that my application was going to be put on hold until they receive my Fall semester grades. I am a little surprised at this considering that I've already taken all of the required courses (BCPM = 4.00) and am only taking electives this term. I am an OOS applicant.

My questions are:

A) Has anyone else received a similar notification from SUNY Downstate?

B) Won't this put me at a great disadvantage for admission considering that they are rolling and my grades wouldn't be available until just before Christmas time?

C) Do you think there is anything I can do about this? (I called once and the woman I spoke with said essentially "this is what the ad comm wants... end of story... you will not be at a disadvantage"

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, that's a great link.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's not true though, about it being non-rolling...they definitely told us at our interview that we would know in about six weeks, which for me would be end of oct/beginning of nov. so they are definitely rolling. But if they want your fall grades, they are definitely going to look at you again, so while you may be at a slight disadvantage because there aren't as many seats, it will be slight and won't have a very large impact on you as an individual applicant. If they put you on hold then they like some of what they saw, but are still unsure about a few things, so have a stellar semester, do something a little extra, and let them know. If you are published, or start a new EC, or something awesome, write them and tell them about it, and make sure to let them know if you're really interested why them. as an OOS applicant to a state school, you really need to show a tie to them.

At OHSU, modified means that they accept ~10% of the final offers on a rolling basis and then the rest of the interviewees are put into a pool where the rest of acceptances are all decided on one date at the end of the cycle.

I'm not sure how the other "modified" rolling schools work their process.