SUNY Downstate Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chable

A sphincter says, "what."
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Please post here if you have decided to attend SUNY Downstate starting fall 2007 or are still contemplating between going to Downstate and any number of other schools.

You can also check the suny downstate thread for more information (mainly about housing) but I wanted to create an official class of 2011 thread too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Chable,
Its nice to see that someone finally made a class of 2011 thread for downstate. I am really psyched about attending in august and starting the next stage of this long journey. By the way, is there any point of me attending their shadow a student day considering I know i will be going to downstate. I have free days to give up, but i dont want to waste a someone elses time.

Best,
Dave

Just wanted to mention that the New York State residency forms left out one important thing, which is that if you've lived with your parents for the past XX years in NY, you are allowed to use their home deed/utility bills as part of the proof as long as you get a notarized statement saying that you've lived with them for so and so years.

On another note, does anyone know how long the CPR certification takes? Is it a one day shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, i had a question too -- about the 4th year international health elective: Is this a highly selective program or an option that is extended to all SUNY 4th years?

hey everyone,

congrats on getting in. i'm a first year med student at downstate, going to be an RA in the dorms next year. any questions? feel free to drop me a message.

enjoy your time before school!!!!

I have officially signed into the C/O 2011 thread. Can't wait to get started with our journey.

I'm from Tampa.... and I am a hardcore Gator fan and an alum (class of 04).

Just received the email I going to medical school. Loved Downstate. The Clinical Experience there is unparalleled. Do you guys know the class size? Also does anyone know the average usmle I scores?

Just received the email I going to medical school. Loved Downstate. The Clinical Experience there is unparalleled. Do you guys know the class size? Also does anyone know the average usmle I scores?

The class size is around 180-190. Last year's class had 187 students according to the MSAR. I don't know the average step I scores, though.

...does anyone know how long the CPR certification takes? Is it a one day shot?

Its a 1-time, 4.5 hour course. I was told (by the place I'm taking the class) that they'd send me a book to "study" from, because we have to take a written test as part of the certification...

And those classes are expensive! Cheapest one I found was 75 bucks.

For more info, go to http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3012360
to search for a class near you. We need BLS for Healthcare Providers (not the skills test)

==edit==
I found out from a friend of mine, who is an EMT, that the class and test is pretty easy. She said there is not a lot of material on it, and its not a difficult course at all. I'm not worrying...

hey everyone,

congrats on getting in. i'm a first year med student at downstate, going to be an RA in the dorms next year. any questions? feel free to drop me a message.

enjoy your time before school!!!!

There are RAs even in med school? heh.
Question: If I write that I want a studio double on my housing app, what are the chances I'll get it?

Hi all, I am a fourth year med student here at Downstate. I've been living in my current apartment for the past 3.5 years, but I have to leave this apartment for my residency training.

If you are looking to live in Park Slope, I have a great deal for you. I am willing to sell all my furnitures (TV, full size bed, dresser, L shaped computer desk, microwave, a fan with a remote control, honeywell air purifier, Bissell wet/dry floor cleaner, a new unopened lexmark printer, two book cases, a microscope which you will NEED for your histo class, a littmann stethocope, Harrison Internal Med textbooks, and much more) for 500 dollars. If you decide to rent this studio apartment from my landlord (which has NO broker's fee), you don't even need to worry about moving all these furnitures!

Let me know if you are interested in buying my furnitures! You can reach me at [email protected]

Let me introduce myself again, I am a fourth year med student here at downstate. About the 4th year international health elective: no it is not offered to all the students. You apply for this elective in your 3rd year.

Hey everyone

I am most likely going to be attending downstate come the fall. I am just concerned about the living situation. I definitely do not want to live in the dorms, I have done that for 4 years already and am ready to have my own place. Does anyone know if Downstate has a fair or a list of places to get off campus housing and other people who are interested in off campus housing. Any comments regarding the housing situation will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what the walk from the Winthrop St. subway station to the school is like? Is it a pretty safe walk? How long is the walk, 10 mins, 15 mins?

Thanks.

I will be living off campus too most likely in the Park slope or Prospect heights area.

I was wondering what the walk from the Winthrop St. subway station to the school is like? Is it a pretty safe walk? How long is the walk, 10 mins, 15 mins?

Thanks.

I will be living off campus too most likely in the Park slope or Prospect heights area.

I think its like a 5 min walk (if you're referring to the subway stop suggested on their website.. i forgot what it was. i used that one). It's probably safe at 9am when classes start. As long as its broad daylight it's relatively safe... I wouldn't take my chances after dusk.

Anyone get their hands on the 2007 match list yet?

wow that's pretty nice

i got an email this past friday (3/23) titled "downstate residency match 2007." i clicked it and it says congrats on your acceptance to downstate! (along with info regardling 2007 match and revisit etc) did this happen to anyone else? i think im gonna call to confirm.

to all my future classmates: i joined the ranks of downstate c/o 2011 after getting a stone-cold rejection to my #1 school. oh well, im sure we'll have a great time.

POLL: i live in bk about 10 min from school. shud i move out or shud i save money and stay home?

thanks and cant wait to meet y'all

Has anyone sent in their health forms yet? I have mine done, but I can not find the address to the Student Health Services office, I guess I will call tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the address is?

Can any current downstate students comment on the clinical neurosciences pathway curriculum? I'm thinking of enrolling in it.

Thanks

to all my future classmates: i joined the ranks of downstate c/o 2011 after getting a stone-cold rejection to my #1 school. oh well, im sure we'll have a great time.

POLL: i live in bk about 10 min from school. shud i move out or shud i save money and stay home?

thanks and cant wait to meet y'all

Welcome aboard.
I think you should go from home. That's my vote. 10 minutes to go to school or ~$14,000 a year to dorm.

Congrats to all the incoming Class of 2011!!!!!

I am currently a 2nd yr (rising 3rd yr- can i say that yet??!!!) who is more than willing to answer any Q's that you may have concerning Downstate. You can always PM me or IM me on AIM at mejiac30

Look forward to meeting you all in the Fall!!!!

:) :) :)

BTW;

We will be having some end of the year parties as the year winds to a close. So if any of you will be in the NYC area around the first couple of weeks in May and are interested in hanging out us fellow Downstaters......Let me know!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats to all the incoming Class of 2011!!!!!

I am currently a 2nd yr (rising 3rd yr- can i say that yet??!!!) who is more than willing to answer any Q's that you may have concerning Downstate. You can always PM me or IM me on AIM at mejiac30

Look forward to meeting you all in the Fall!!!!

:) :) :)

Hey, whats the deal w/ parking? is driving to school from 10 min away feasible? (bec of parking i'm asking). thanks

BTW;

We will be having some end of the year parties as the year winds to a close. So if any of you will be in the NYC area around the first couple of weeks in May and are interested in hanging out us fellow Downstaters......Let me know!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'd definately be up for this. Ive actually been trying to contact the admissions office to take a tour (I was just accepted and missed a 2nd look day - if there even was one) but I'd really like to get a feel for the school/community a little better at some point. I'm still not 100% set on Downstate yet (to be honest, the area and dorm living are both a little off-putting to me) but barring an acceptance to Rochester or AECOM, I think I'll probably wind up there. In any case, congrats to all those accepted so far and thanks to the current students for reaching out a bit to us newbies.

hey, have a couple of questions if anyone can help would be great!

1. anyone familiar how the i-pod lectures work? have a first generation ipod and elecrtonically challenged so i'm curious if this will be something i can watch online at itunes and whether the entire semester's lectures will remain available as the semester progresses.

2. how detailed are the notes? are they the professor's notes?

3. has anyone received financial aid packages yet? how long did it take for you to know whether your instate status was accepted and how did you find out? email?

4. are any of these textbooks used in first year?

-wheater's or ross histology
-boron physiology
-forgot which immunology i have but if you know what is used...
- biochem book same thing...
- nolte neuroscience

thanks for your help.

Diggity, you might want to PM one of the current students. I don't think they frequent this thread so it's better to get their attention through a PM.

I have friends at downstate and they told me to not worry about buying books. They said that the notes are excellent and that there is no need to purchase anything other than an anatomy atlas. Everything you need to know to get honors grades are in the notes. There is also a set of books in all the study carrels.

Best,
dave

hey, anyone going to downstate and will live/lives off campus, i.e park slope, williamsburgh, or anywhere else out of walking distance, how u getting to school? please include train numbers if applicable. thanks

thanks guys! i haven't started looking for places yet. just sent deposit for the dorms for a single studio but will be looking for places off campus in the upcoming weekends. let you know what i learn.

Undecided still

Welcome aboard.
I think you should go from home. That's my vote. 10 minutes to go to school or ~$14,000 a year to dorm.

Hey there,

So I am just finishing up first year. I live at home and I LOVE IT!!!! There are so many better ways to spend 14,000 dollars lol TRUST ME :) The other nice thing is that you get to escape school. It can get rough being here 24/7.
Dont get me wrong... its nice to roll out of bed and go to class...but im not sure that luxury is worth the money downstate dorms charge. Check out the dorms...but in my opinion they are nothing like home. If you have any questions about commuting, parking, etc. just let me know :) See you all orientation!

-Polina

hey, have a couple of questions if anyone can help would be great!

1. anyone familiar how the i-pod lectures work? have a first generation ipod and elecrtonically challenged so i'm curious if this will be something i can watch online at itunes and whether the entire semester's lectures will remain available as the semester progresses.
you cant watch anything online...its podcasted so you can listen to the lectures. powerpoints from lectures are posted as well. NOT ALL THE LECTURES are podcasted....because not all teachers want their lovely voices broadcasted. Yes all lectures will be available to you throughout the year.

2. how detailed are the notes? are they the professor's notes?
The notes ARE detailed. They are professors notes/stuff from books they add in. Almost all the stuff from tests comes from notes. Most readings assigned are "suggested" so far any text i bought i never used lol Honest opionin!

3. has anyone received financial aid packages yet? how long did it take for you to know whether your instate status was accepted and how did you find out? email?

4. are any of these textbooks used in first year?
You need Netters atlas for anatomy, you can buy a Moore and Dalley the small version, you dont really need a histo book but the one professors here use is Junqueiera (not sure of sp), biochem dont buy a book...they tell us to buy Lipincotts Biochem review book. If you wait till school starts you will be bombarded with emails about book sales as well as a big book sale that AMSA has started doing

-wheater's or ross histology
-boron physiology
-forgot which immunology i have but if you know what is used...
- biochem book same thing...
- nolte neuroscience

thanks for your help.

If you guys have any other questions ask....this is a great way to procrastinate lol....Hope this helps!

I'd definately be up for this. Ive actually been trying to contact the admissions office to take a tour (I was just accepted and missed a 2nd look day - if there even was one) but I'd really like to get a feel for the school/community a little better at some point. I'm still not 100% set on Downstate yet (to be honest, the area and dorm living are both a little off-putting to me) but barring an acceptance to Rochester or AECOM, I think I'll probably wind up there. In any case, congrats to all those accepted so far and thanks to the current students for reaching out a bit to us newbies.

People at downstate party...quite a great deal lol.....We are awesome!...Parties at the end of the block, parties for birthdays, parties for the end of the year. The people are not antisocial and like to get out and have a great time. There are always Post Quiz/Block parties going on. So ye if anyone is interested just let us know :) If anyone still wants to come hang out with us and "shadow" us which means you get free lunch and the opportunity to socialize with first years....Just contact the admissions office and let Ms. Levine know. She is great about letting people come and a ton of first years signed up to have students. Its not too late :)

first of all...i love polina...

second....I live off campus in the Park Slope area. I take the 2/3 to school even though I have a car here because it is easier for me (and my car sucks). You can also drive, a lot of ppl do and I think it is like $5 dollars a day or something to park in a lot near school. The walk to school isnt bad at all but I try not to stay past dark just to be extra safe. Although I have never had a problem even when I did.

Any other questions, just PM me because I only go on these boards when I hear you guys posting about how ur gunna come to downstate if the girl on the admissions page still goes there..lol

first of all...i love polina...

second....I live off campus in the Park Slope area. I take the 2/3 to school even though I have a car here because it is easier for me (and my car sucks). You can also drive, a lot of ppl do and I think it is like $5 dollars a day or something to park in a lot near school. The walk to school isnt bad at all but I try not to stay past dark just to be extra safe. Although I have never had a problem even when I did.

Any other questions, just PM me because I only go on these boards when I hear you guys posting about how ur gunna come to downstate if the girl on the admissions page still goes there..lol

She does! I forget if she's a first year or second year (i think second). She's on facebook, but here profile isn't visible if you're not friended.

I swear I'm not a stalker. I got curious after seeing posts about her. lol.

Hey there,

So I am just finishing up first year. I live at home and I LOVE IT!!!! There are so many better ways to spend 14,000 dollars lol TRUST ME :) The other nice thing is that you get to escape school. It can get rough being here 24/7.
Dont get me wrong... its nice to roll out of bed and go to class...but im not sure that luxury is worth the money downstate dorms charge. Check out the dorms...but in my opinion they are nothing like home. If you have any questions about commuting, parking, etc. just let me know :) See you all orientation!

-Polina

Hey, how do u get to school?

How often do current students actually attend lecture as opposed to listening to it podcasted?

How do you guys like the weight gym? Would you consider joining a gym somewhere else in Brooklyn? From what I remember the Downstate gym looked like Average Joes.

I emailed Downstate about my application status last week and they said it was mailed out on Monday the 16th. I have not received it yet and I'm kind of annoyed that they just can't email me the status. I wonder why it takes the mail over a week to travel from Brooklyn to Long Island. I hope to be posting the good news this week.

I'm a second year at downstate. We're done in a bout a week and a half and then have to study for boards so you probably wont see us on this site as much. I live in manhattan takes about 20-25 min door to door. The trains that go to downstate are the 2 and the 5. (Winthrop station).

For our class, during the first year a decent amount of students went to class. This year, the numbers definitely have gone down. I dont go to lecture, never was a lecture person. But, if you miss lecture you can easily listen to the podcasts or read the transcripts (word for word transcript of each lecture) that is available online and you have the notes that are given for each block.

For first year, I wouldn't necessarily say that all you have to do is rely on the notes that they give you for the block cause some of them aren't that great. First year, I used the anatomy textbook, the atlas, and a few review books, and biochem text..I mean you dont need to buy them cause they're available in the library and in the carrels. It's really based on your preference on whether you want to use the books or not. But you guys dont need to worry about that now..just wait until classes start..just chill and relax right now.

Oh yeah about that party thing..we're done may 4th so they'll be a huge party somewhere in manhattan probably. ill let you know when the details are finalized if anyone's interested.

let me know if u guys have any questions.

People at downstate party...quite a great deal lol.....We are awesome!...Parties at the end of the block, parties for birthdays, parties for the end of the year. The people are not antisocial and like to get out and have a great time. There are always Post Quiz/Block parties going on. So ye if anyone is interested just let us know :) If anyone still wants to come hang out with us and "shadow" us which means you get free lunch and the opportunity to socialize with first years....Just contact the admissions office and let Ms. Levine know. She is great about letting people come and a ton of first years signed up to have students. Its not too late :)

Yep I sent an e-mail about shadowing about 3 weeks ago and just heard back that Ms. Levine has forwarded my contact info to a student and they'll be getting back to me soon. Looking forward to it, should be a good way to get a better feel for the school.

i called them about two weeks ago and they said as long as you filed everything correctly they should be coming any day now.