-= SUNY Downstate Class of 2012 =-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So my Dad went to Downstate about a million years ago, and he is under the impression that people are going to get dressed up for class. He said they used to wear ties to class, and thinks I will not be able to wear jeans. Is this true? Please say no!
There is no dress code for class. I'm sure there hasn't been for decades. I shadowed a student for a day and saw people come to class in PJs. Don't worry. Times are different now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be living in the residence and had a question for upper-year students....

Is it ever a problem having your stuff that you buy online delivered to you?

ie) You buy something from fleabay/newegg/tigerdirect/whoever.... Do you ever have complications getting the items delivered?

I shop online a bit so this would be important. Please share whatever thoughts and experiences you can. Thanks!

[Oh, I am not a shopaholic, but there's always better deals online than brick and mortar.]

I've ordered online from many places (newegg, amazon, gap, etc.) and I've never had an issue. FedEx and UPS deliver directly to the res halls, so thats ultra-convenient. The postal service is a little more of a pain because those packages are delivered to the hospital, so you have to go to the basement there to pick them up... Still not a big deal though.

Hey guys, I've been looking for off campus housing the past few days, primarily in Park Slope but haven't had much success. I was wondering if there was anyone here that has a room they want to rent out in Park Slope close to the 2/5 subways. Any information that you guys can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks and see you guys in a few days!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've ordered online from many places (newegg, amazon, gap, etc.) and I've never had an issue. FedEx and UPS deliver directly to the res halls, so thats ultra-convenient. The postal service is a little more of a pain because those packages are delivered to the hospital, so you have to go to the basement there to pick them up... Still not a big deal though.

That's great news. Thanks for sharing Soggun! :D

When you say "directly to the res hall", do you mean they bring it to your room, or do you need to go downstairs, check with the mail-room, and sign your stuff out?

Not a big deal but just curious. Thanks!

BTW, where do the parcels go? Do they go to the front office? Dropped in front of your dorm door?

BTW, where do the parcels go? Do they go to the front office? Dropped in front of your dorm door?

Hey Jess
I have to say, having someone there to accept packages is one of the prime highlights of living in the res halls---Since I live in the dorms, shopping must come to ME!! :D

Basically, as long as you put your address down as the dorms, then the packages will make their way to the dorms (fedex, UPS, USPS, etc...I've never actually had to retrieve my USPS packages from the hospital though...the guys from the hospital usually just wheel them on a cart to the dorms once a day).

Basically the address is as follows:

Your name
811 or 825 New York Ave
Your room number
Brooklyn, NY 11203

I actually just had a newegg.com delivery come to me today lol

You get assigned a mailbox at the front desk of the dorms when you move in to the res halls (they'll give you your keys when you move in obviously), and basically when you get a package, the nice people at the front leave a little "package notification" paper in your mailbox, and you just present it to them and they give you your package.

Hope this helps!! :)

Hey frogboyy! Thanks for clearing that up.

I know I shouldn't give the whole shipping issue much thought, but every convenience is a plus when you're busy with school.

BTW, what did you buy from newegg :p

Hey frogboyy! Thanks for clearing that up.

I know I shouldn't give the whole shipping issue much thought, but every convenience is a plus when you're busy with school.

BTW, what did you buy from newegg :p

Seriously! There's no way you'd have time to sit around and wait for your packages to arrive, since the prime delivery time is always during class or CBL or anatomy lab lol

And the latest acquisition from newegg was nothing exciting, just a 4 gig upgrade kit (2 gig chips each) to put a little more sparkle into my laptops :laugh:

Seriously! There's no way you'd have time to sit around and wait for your packages to arrive, since the prime delivery time is always during class or CBL or anatomy lab lol

And the latest acquisition from newegg was nothing exciting, just a 4 gig upgrade kit (2 gig chips each) to put a little more sparkle into my laptops :laugh:

Thanks frogboyy for sharing that. I'm glad I won't have to jump through hoops to get my goods.

Enjoy the RAM for the laptop!

does anyone know this upcoming week's schedule? I don't believe I ever recieved any schedule in the mail, or if i did i probably lost it because i'm an idiot. I know we have to report monday at 8, but the rest of the week besides the white coat ceremony i do not know what's going on. A little help please.

Below is part of an email the coordinators sent to the school email address. Make sure you check your school email.

Move-in Day at the Residence Halls is Sunday, August 10th.
Orientation is from Monday, August 11th through Thursday, August 14th.
Here is a sampling of the social events that we are planning. All events are free unless otherwise noted.
• Monday, August 11th: Luncheon & Barbeque on campus.
• Tuesday, August 12th: Dinner in Park Slope.
(Bring about $25 to pay for your dinner)
• Wednesday, August 13th: Trip to either Coney Island or the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
(Cost is $5 for a ticket to the Museum or Coney Island)
On-campus Luau in the evening!
• Thursday, August 14th: Circle Line Cruise around the southern tip of Manhattan.

Also, check out the discussion board on Prime too.

does anyone know this upcoming week's schedule? I don't believe I ever recieved any schedule in the mail, or if i did i probably lost it because i'm an idiot. I know we have to report monday at 8, but the rest of the week besides the white coat ceremony i do not know what's going on. A little help please.

Hi,
I had the same question and emailed one of the orientation coordinators.
The following is the reply he sent me:

Monday Aug 11th, we will be starting at 8:00AM and finishing programming at 4:30, though there is a barbeque that I encourage you to attend until 5:30, which should be a great way to get to know some of your classmates.

Tuesday Aug 12th, we will be starting at 9:00AM and finishing at 5:00PM followed by a dinner in park slope, which we will be leaving for around 6:00 and getting back from around 8:30 (though many people stay in park slope and go out there for the evening).

Wednesday Aug 13th, we will be starting again at 9:00AM and finishing lunch at around 2PM, after which we will be going to either Coney Island or the Brooklyn Museum/Botanical Gardens, from which we will arrive back at campus around 6:30. At that point there will be a luau (one of the best and most fun events of orientation) until about 10:30PM. Naturally all of the events after lunch are optional, but they are a ton of fun and I strongly encourage you to attend.

Thursday Aug 14th, we will be beginning at 9:00AM and ending the reception for the White Coat Ceremony at 4:30. At that point, we will board buses for the Circle Line cruise. That will end at 10:00PM and you can either leave on your own from there or take buses back to campus, which will be arriving back here at around 11:15PM.

Hi,
I had the same question and emailed one of the orientation coordinators.
The following is the reply he sent me:

Monday Aug 11th, we will be starting at 8:00AM and finishing programming at 4:30, though there is a barbeque that I encourage you to attend until 5:30, which should be a great way to get to know some of your classmates.

Tuesday Aug 12th, we will be starting at 9:00AM and finishing at 5:00PM followed by a dinner in park slope, which we will be leaving for around 6:00 and getting back from around 8:30 (though many people stay in park slope and go out there for the evening).

What exactly will we do for those hrs? Is it time so that we can get our registration, health forms, housing, tuition, etc. all straightened out?

Wednesday Aug 13th, we will be starting again at 9:00AM and finishing lunch at around 2PM, after which we will be going to either Coney Island or the Brooklyn Museum/Botanical Gardens, from which we will arrive back at campus around 6:30. At that point there will be a luau (one of the best and most fun events of orientation) until about 10:30PM. Naturally all of the events after lunch are optional, but they are a ton of fun and I strongly encourage you to attend.
Same here... what are we doing? Is it some sort of surprise?

Thursday Aug 14th, we will be beginning at 9:00AM and ending the reception for the White Coat Ceremony at 4:30. At that point, we will board buses for the Circle Line cruise. That will end at 10:00PM and you can either leave on your own from there or take buses back to campus, which will be arriving back here at around 11:15PM.

Will we get a hard-copy schedule showing all the required events and all the downtime available to us? The only things that I thought were absolutely mandatory to attend would be 1) registration paper-work filling 2) white coat ceremony.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks!

What exactly will we do for those hrs? Is it time so that we can get our registration, health forms, housing, tuition, etc. all straightened out?

Same here... what are we doing? Is it some sort of surprise?

Will we get a hard-copy schedule showing all the required events and all the downtime available to us? The only things that I thought were absolutely mandatory to attend would be 1) registration paper-work filling 2) white coat ceremony.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks!

Hey Jess,
Just one more day!!! You'll find out all the details soon enough, in about 9 hours when you pull up in front of 811 with all your stuff and move in :laugh:

In between getting all of your stuff registered, and your forms cleared with the bursar, and ID pictures taken, etc etc, you'll basically be sitting in an auditorium listening to a bunch of the administrators and panels of students talk about various aspects of your future life at downstate (from financial aid to how to survive first year, etc etc)....and of course you'll be getting tours of the school, having lunch, and enjoying all the superfun icebreakers that the orientation leaders are going to make you guys do ;)

There will be a bunch to take in but fortunately you'll be receiving a humongous packet with schedules, including orientation schedules, and a whole bunch of other stuff!!

See you tomorrow!

:hardy:

and of course you'll be getting tours of the school

Awesome...seriously, I couldn't have been the only one busy freaking out to pay attention during the tour. :laugh:

Hi Guys,

did anyone mail in their supplemental and if so were you able to access the checklist?

Thanks