1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

suny downstate vs Albany

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spooky42, Apr 3, 2004.

1. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys

my sister just got into the 7 yr ba/md at RPI/ Albany med and Brooklyn/SUNY downstate 8 yr.

Do you guys know any plusses minus to each program, specifically the med schools?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MedicationWorks

MedicationWorks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go SUNY. Albany is a very expensive private school, and from what I heard (when I interviewed) the medical research program was disbanded (no MD/PhD anymore?). They compensate with what appears to be a strong ethics program. But still , the tuition is really high. Aside from location of the campus, downstate is a better choice overall.

I'm sure other people have other opinions...

4. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

This one's easy. Just look at the match lists.

5. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    downstate. a very underrated med school. like ankit says ( and i think he meant that downstate had the better match), downstate grads do really well.

besides location wise, who'd want to be in albany?

bonnie

6. spooky42

spooky42 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks guys

I had no idea how Albany and Downstate is with matching.

I know Suny dental schools are good but had no idea about the medical.

7. MedAppGurl

MedAppGurl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

DOWNSTATE hands down!

8. drdoctor

drdoctor Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you're getting more money from the 8-yr program, take it. However, in terms of bs/md programs, the RPI/AMC Physician-Scientist Program is very prestigious and one of the oldest. It's graduated some great physicians (just do a search on the program in google). ALL of the bs/md students are in the top half of their AMC class and get some good residencies. It's also a more competitive program to get into. In terms of education, RPI bs/md will give you the most research exposure compared to any other bs/md program and is unparalleled. RPI will also give a firm grounding in the science that SUNY won't be able to. Think about money and distance from home if thats an issue. If you're getting the same out of both, take RPI/AMC.