• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

spooky42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
ny
Visit site
Status
hey guys

my sister just got into the 7 yr ba/md at RPI/ Albany med and Brooklyn/SUNY downstate 8 yr.

Do you guys know any plusses minus to each program, specifically the med schools?

Thanks

MedicationWorks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go SUNY. Albany is a very expensive private school, and from what I heard (when I interviewed) the medical research program was disbanded (no MD/PhD anymore?). They compensate with what appears to be a strong ethics program. But still , the tuition is really high. Aside from location of the campus, downstate is a better choice overall.

I'm sure other people have other opinions...

About the Ads

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
Status
Medical Student
downstate. a very underrated med school. like ankit says ( and i think he meant that downstate had the better match), downstate grads do really well.

besides location wise, who'd want to be in albany?

bonnie

spooky42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
ny
Visit site
Status
Thanks guys

I had no idea how Albany and Downstate is with matching.

I know Suny dental schools are good but had no idea about the medical.

drdoctor

15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
If you're getting more money from the 8-yr program, take it. However, in terms of bs/md programs, the RPI/AMC Physician-Scientist Program is very prestigious and one of the oldest. It's graduated some great physicians (just do a search on the program in google). ALL of the bs/md students are in the top half of their AMC class and get some good residencies. It's also a more competitive program to get into. In terms of education, RPI bs/md will give you the most research exposure compared to any other bs/md program and is unparalleled. RPI will also give a firm grounding in the science that SUNY won't be able to. Think about money and distance from home if thats an issue. If you're getting the same out of both, take RPI/AMC.

About the Ads