SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeescard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if any residents or applicants had some information regarding the IM program at Downstate. How helpful is the PD/administration towards residents aiming for fellowships? I met some of the residents on the interview day but some past forum comments have stated that a great deal of residents are unhappy. Is this true? I have read most of the old information regarding Downstate but I was hoping that a student/intern/resident could tell me how the program really is. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just wondering if any residents or applicants had some information regarding the IM program at Downstate. How helpful is the PD/administration towards residents aiming for fellowships? I met some of the residents on the interview day but some past forum comments have stated that a great deal of residents are unhappy. Is this true? I have read most of the old information regarding Downstate but I was hoping that a student/intern/resident could tell me how the program really is. Thanks in advance. :)

I interviewed at Downstate some time ago and didn't feel that great about the program. I was pretty open minded going into the interview and actually had high expectations for the program. What turned me off was my interviewer, who seemed more focused (and arrogant) on why he should choose me, rather than it being more mutual and why I should choose them as well.

The only perk about Downstate seems to be the fellowships. It has more spots than average for its more competitive sub-specialties like GI and cardiology. They prefer their own over others. To me, it seemed like the residents went straight into competitive fellowships without having to do a research or chief year.

The biggest negative I've heard is that there is unbelievable scutwork. I don't know the backstory to the nursing team, but I heard from numerous Downstate medical students that they were the ones drawing the blood every morning.... when it's the nursing's responsibility to do so. Or the phlebotomist. No resident that I asked gave me a straight answer as to whether the nursing is good or not. But I trust the medical students' perspectives.

That's my honest post. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Downstate some time ago and didn't feel that great about the program. I was pretty open minded going into the interview and actually had high expectations for the program. What turned me off was my interviewer, who seemed more focused (and arrogant) on why he should choose me, rather than it being more mutual and why I should choose them as well.

The only perk about Downstate seems to be the fellowships. It has more spots than average for its more competitive sub-specialties like GI and cardiology. They prefer their own over others. To me, it seemed like the residents went straight into competitive fellowships without having to do a research or chief year.

The biggest negative I've heard is that there is unbelievable scutwork. I don't know the backstory to the nursing team, but I heard from numerous Downstate medical students that they were the ones drawing the blood every morning.... when it's the nursing's responsibility to do so. Or the phlebotomist. No resident that I asked gave me a straight answer as to whether the nursing is good or not. But I trust the medical students' perspectives.

That's my honest post. Hope that helps.

I believe many of the NYC programs don't have 24/7 phlebotomy, and so you wind up doing a fair amount of that yourself. At some places, a nurse may do that kind of thing for you. In NYC, you have to do a lot to get the nurses on your side in order for them to do that kind of thing, because it is not in their job description and they have a pretty strong union. If you just order them to do it, when they know they are not required to do that, they simply won't.

its true that the medical students draw blood every day. However they are placed in a non-teaching service, of which there are no residents. The interns and residents don't draw blood that often except in some situations at the county hospital, or when you place a stat order. It's certainly not routine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! I'm not too worried about the scutwork. I know its an issue with most NYC area programs but I'm also convinced that graduating from a 3 year IM residency without doing some blood draws/IV's/ABG's would be a wasted 3 years. I was inquiring about the opportunity for fellowships, both in house and outside, esp. in competitive fields (cards). Also I was wondering about the program leadership and how helpful/supportive they are to the residents. Lastly are you guys part of the CIR?

Thanks guys!! I'm not too worried about the scutwork. I know its an issue with most NYC area programs but I'm also convinced that graduating from a 3 year IM residency without doing some blood draws/IV's/ABG's would be a wasted 3 years. I was inquiring about the opportunity for fellowships, both in house and outside, esp. in competitive fields (cards). Also I was wondering about the program leadership and how helpful/supportive they are to the residents. Lastly are you guys part of the CIR?

I interviewed there for IM several years ago. At that time it seemed that they gave special preference for their grads for in-house fellowships. I don't know if this is true now and I don't know if their grads match well for outside fellowships

does anybody know if suny downstate is all electronic or are the notes/orders handwritten???

UH: Electronic currently are the blood labs and test reports. Notes are currently written and is quite a mess as no previous admission record is available unless you go down and request the old charts (big hassle when you admit/never done during admission). Electronic pharmacy orders are currently still in progress...presently orders need to be scanned and faxed down to pharmacy. E-notes are in progress and probably will be here when you arrive or later.
KCHC and VA: 99% electronic