SUNY new york in-state tuition for out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavs2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be an out-of-state student next year at a SUNY medical school and had a few questions about obtaining in-state tuition after the first year. I have done my research on this and know that you must show that you established a domicile and you must register to vote/divers license and all that stuff. But I have a few questions about the process that I couldn't get the answer of yet.

Since you have to declare you are an independent student, can you still use your parent's health insurance if you are under 26? Like I have friends who file their taxes as independents yet they still use their parent's health insurance. So if I want in-state tuition in year 2, can I keep my parents health insurance or will the people who determine if I am a state resident think I am still a dependent if I use their health insurance (also looked on the application form and didn't see anything about have own health insurance).

My other question is how difficult is it to get this status. I plan on completing all the recommended things for obtaining the state residency. However, is this process just like a formality as in if you complete what you need to that you will get it? Or are they much harder in the sense that you are still 50-50 in getting residency even if you do all of the required things.

If anybody has gone through this process for obtaining residency in NY I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me how your process went and if there are any pitfalls. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Becoming in-state seems to be pretty easy and your financial aid person will likely be happy to help you out. As far as I know the health insurance thing isn't an issue...you are automatically considered an "independent student" regardless because of the degree you are pursuing.

(I was a state resident when i started so can't help you out with any pit falls....good luck!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just happened to be looking at the NYS residency application for one of the SUNY's (I believe each school has their own form, but with the same standards that need to be met). There seems to be a point system and if you provide enough documentation and things check out on the rest of the form you'll get residency. I think pretty much every OOS student at SUNY med schools get residency for the last 3 years so I don't think it's difficult and your school should be able to easily walk you through it.

One thing I remember from one of the SUNY fin aid presentations was the lady saying that when they determine residency they look for dependency relationships and she pointed out being on your parents health insurance as one such relationship that could prevent you from getting residency. I'd definitely clarify with the school. I'm in-state already so I didn't pay super close attention to this. Good luck.

Hi,
I am going to be an out-of-state student next year at a SUNY medical school and had a few questions about obtaining in-state tuition after the first year. I have done my research on this and know that you must show that you established a domicile and you must register to vote/divers license and all that stuff. But I have a few questions about the process that I couldn't get the answer of yet.

Since you have to declare you are an independent student, can you still use your parent's health insurance if you are under 26? Like I have friends who file their taxes as independents yet they still use their parent's health insurance. So if I want in-state tuition in year 2, can I keep my parents health insurance or will the people who determine if I am a state resident think I am still a dependent if I use their health insurance (also looked on the application form and didn't see anything about have own health insurance).

My other question is how difficult is it to get this status. I plan on completing all the recommended things for obtaining the state residency. However, is this process just like a formality as in if you complete what you need to that you will get it? Or are they much harder in the sense that you are still 50-50 in getting residency even if you do all of the required things.

If anybody has gone through this process for obtaining residency in NY I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me how your process went and if there are any pitfalls. Thanks

Health insurance wont disqualify you.

The process is pretty streamlined, and if you do that stuff, you'll get in state tuition. Like someone else said, you probably want to talk to the finaid officer during first year to make sure you have all your bases covered, but I wouldn't overworry about not being able to get it.

Health insurance wont disqualify you.

The process is pretty streamlined, and if you do that stuff, you'll get in state tuition. Like someone else said, you probably want to talk to the finaid officer during first year to make sure you have all your bases covered, but I wouldn't overworry about not being able to get it.

I'm pretty certain that Ok2Panic is correct. More or less, submit a copy of your apartment lease + 12 months rent checks, utility bills, voter registration, driver license, and income taxes, and you should have more than is necessary!

I'm OOS and will be attending a SUNY in the fall, so I've looked at my forms and gone over it with an Admissions Officer. More or less, that's what you gotta do. I don't think health insurance plays a big role in this--where would they even get that info to begin with?