SUNY school reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1218

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the SUNY schools rank among other medical schools? It is an awsome deal financially, even for out-of-staters. I am thinking of dropping some of my interviews at EVMS, VCU, & Wake because I got into Upstate. good or bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Upstate is the weakest of the SUNYs, but it's still a good school. I'd go through with your other interviews anyway - you never know what you can discover.

Also, there has been talk of a major tuition hike at the SUNYs. I don't know what's going on now, but you may want to research the topic some more

SUNY stonybrook is i think the best SUNY in ny, and is still highly ranked against other med schools. they also have great facilities and faculty, campus could use some work though.

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY SB is an awesome med school..cheaper than many other schools....the students and profs are real nice there...
As far as SB being run down, it is somewhat true...there isn't much to do around there either

This is a great question:
As a New York resident I would love to see how the SUNY's compare in the eyes of others. I personally loved them all- but stony brook and downstate were my favorites. The students seemed so pleased to be at sb, I just worry about growing bored with the area...

Originally posted by Smitty75
This is a great question:
As a New York resident I would love to see how the SUNY's compare in the eyes of others. I personally loved them all- but stony brook and downstate were my favorites. The students seemed so pleased to be at sb, I just worry about growing bored with the area...

luckily you'll have plenty of work to keep you busy.:)

Originally posted by basupran
there isn't much to do around there either

As a native Long Islander, I will tell you there is plenty to do if you know where to go. Don't forget that you are only a short drive to both the Hamptons (~40 min) and NYC (1 hour w/ no traffic). Long Island has some great beaches as well.

Thanks. I was waiting forever for Downstate's confirmation-whether they actually received my verified AMCAS. I never got one, so I called today. Turns out that I was waiting for nothing... Now, I am about two months behind...doesn't look good for me, especially because I am an out-of-stater. Anyone have any advice and what is the deal with the weird requests from downstate? BTW, what is the response time for interview invites and acceptances for Downstate?

As a native Long Islander, I will tell you there is plenty to do if you know where to go. Don't forget that you are only a short drive to both the Hamptons (~40 min) and NYC (1 hour w/ no traffic). Long Island has some great beaches as well.

i go to school out on long island, and i dunno, the way i see it, you need a car to get everywhere. but my friend is from somewhere right near stonybrook, and he loved it growing up. and the great beaches don't help you much in the winter.

Originally posted by idq1i
Has that ever happened? No.

well maybe if you like to go into NYC at 3 am.

construction on LIE will NEVER END!!!

Originally posted by musiclink213
i go to school out on long island, and i dunno, the way i see it, you need a car to get everywhere.

That is very true. You definitely need a car, but unless you are in the middle of a city, that will be the case everywhere. Plus you gotta love long island traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that Upstate is a fine school with a very good residency match list so you cant go wrong with it.Its comparable in quality or better than VCU,EVMS.I believe Wake has a better rep but it boils down to where you want to live and and your gut feeling about the school.

i go to upstate and i like it here a lot. everyone is really nice and the people in charge of the courses try to be as helpful as possible. syracuse isn't bad and there is plenty to do, especially with all the studying. good luck!

I just graduated from Upstate in May and got into a very competitive anesthesiology residency. The match list is fairly impressive - I have it in PDF format, but I don't know how to post it. If you are interested, email me.

Nationwide, Upstate ranks right around the middle of US medical schools, but those rankings are based mostly on research. Unless you want to do research, look at how a school's seniors match. I think it is a very good school for the money (especially if you are a NYS resident), but if you are willing to pay and have the opportunity to go to a bigger name school, do so because it will help when you apply for residencies. I am aware of the tuition hikes, and this is unfortunate since I am sure more qualified applicants will be steered toward private schools. When I started Upstate in fall 1999, tuition was $11000/year and when I was a third year, it was projected to go up $2000/year for 4 years and cap out at $19000. Still cheaper than private schools, but less bang for the buck now.

In reality, when applying for residencies, everyone in the country takes similar classes for the first two years, takes the USMLE Step 1 (which is HUGE for residencies) and does similar clinical rotations. If you know what specialty you want to do, then you can narrow the list further based on which schools excel in which areas. However, most premeds have no idea what they want to do, so just go someplace you feel comfortable with, both by location and the students there. Good luck!

bump...

any thoughts on the SUNYs?

I know this has been said already elsewhere, but Downstate and Upstate no longer consider state of residence in admissions decisions. Also, out-of-state people can claim residence after one year and receive the in-state subsidized tuition. I'm still not sure why this is considering Stony brook and Buffalo favor state residents. (but it is the new policy).
As for reputation I'd say they all have good USMLE pass rates, match students well, and are affordable. But maybe other people have some opinions.

medworks,
can you post a link to the source of that info? thanks.

You might also want to consider the curriculum. I've got a few friends that go to Buffalo, and the curriculum is very traditional (in class from 8am to between 3&5pm with little room to breathe). Not sure about Upstate (looks pretty traditional from the link below) and Downstate. I know that Stony Brook used to be an 8-5 program as well, but they've got something new going on and the curriculum is now more systems-based. I guess it can come down to what you are looking for curriculum-wise and whether you operate well sitting in a classroom all day.

Med School Curricula (not all schools listed here):
http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section2/schematicManagerRemote.cfm

[]Originally posted by premed1218
Thanks. I was waiting forever for Downstate's confirmation-whether they actually received my verified AMCAS. I never got one, so I called today. Turns out that I was waiting for nothing... Now, I am about two months behind...doesn't look good for me, especially because I am an out-of-stater. Anyone have any advice and what is the deal with the weird requests from downstate? BTW, what is the response time for interview invites and acceptances for Downstate? []

I just got rejected post-secondary from Downstate. I was complete on Oct. 24. I am an out-of-stater. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Heal&Teach
You might also want to consider the curriculum. I've got a few friends that go to Buffalo, and the curriculum is very traditional (in class from 8am to between 3&5pm with little room to breathe). Not sure about Upstate (looks pretty traditional from the link below) and Downstate. I know that Stony Brook used to be an 8-5 program as well, but they've got something new going on and the curriculum is now more systems-based. I guess it can come down to what you are looking for curriculum-wise and whether you operate well sitting in a classroom all day.

Med School Curricula (not all schools listed here):
http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section2/schematicManagerRemote.cfm

The curriculum at Buffalo just changed in the last two years. The students are in class from 8-12 (including anatomy lab) and then have small group discussions twice a week in the afternoon and shadow a doctor one afternoon every two weeks. The new curriculum is great because you get early clinical experience and you get small group problem solving which involves integrated learning (you meet with a physician and he/she gives you a problem/disease and as a group you get to apply your basic sciences that you learned in class to a clinical problem). The new curriculum is good because it decreases the time you are sitting in a lecture. Besides the basics fundamental classes (molecules, cells and genetics) UB?s curriculum is system based and integrated.

The curriculum at Upstate is a little more traditional. From looking at the students schedules they are in class longer, usually from 8-4 sometimes 5. They start out the year taking one long class called molecular foundations of medicine which includes: biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, genetics and nutrition. They don?t actually start their anatomy class until November. They have a course called practice of medicine which is a small group session that addresses patient skills, interviewing, exams, medical ethics, medical laws and biostatistics, which continues throughout the whole two years. Compared to UB and SB, Upstate?s curriculum is less of a system approach.

Stony Brook?s curriculum is divided up into modules and from what I have seen they are usually in class from 8-12 and sometimes until 3. The module system integrates all the basic sciences into topics such as molecules, genes and cells; the body; neurosciences; medical physiology; pathology. They also interweave a lot of smaller modules through out the year such as medical ethics, medical law, preventive care, clinical care, nutrition, human behavior and basic life support. Stony Brook?s approach is also system based.

I hope this helps those who are interested in the SUNY's. I am going to have a hard time deciding which one to go to.

Sorry I didn't post anything about Downstate. I am waitlisted there and I don't think I am going to go there, so I really have not read much about their curriculum.

Originally posted by steve007
medworks,
can you post a link to the source of that info? thanks.

In terms of Upstate no longer showing an in-state preference during admissions decisions- there isn't a link. I'm quoting the director admissions who mentioned this at the interview. I'm sure others who interviewed there could verify this.
The reason why most of the entering class is from NY is because of the high ratio of NY people applying (applicant pool).
-mw (hope that's clear enough)

Stony Brook?s curriculum is divided up into modules and from what I have seen they are usually in class from 8-12 and sometimes until 3. The module system integrates all the basic sciences into topics such as molecules, genes and cells; the body; neurosciences; medical physiology; pathology. They also interweave a lot of smaller modules through out the year such as medical ethics, medical law, preventive care, clinical care, nutrition, human behavior and basic life support. Stony Brook?s approach is also system based.

I'm a second year at Stony Brook. We are rarely in class till only 12. For the most part, we are in class till 3:00 during second semester of first year and throughout second year. During the first semester of first year, you will most likely be in anatomy lab till 5:00 three days a week (schedule I think says 3-4, but anatomy lab is simply a place where you will spend a lot of time).

I like Stony Brook, but it is a young school that is stumbling a bit while trying to find the right curriculum. The smaller modules the original poster referred to are not "interweaved". They are simply classes that you will take during first year- i.e. nutrition, preventative medicine (should really be called medical epidemiology), MCS (medical ethics with some medical law stuff) and ICM (introduction to clinical medicince). BLS is basic life support and this is not a class but instead a few hour course taken in order to be certified by the American Heart Association for BLS.

Anyhow, the administration has been trying different things in order to find the ideal curricular structure. For example, this year they've decided to combine exams for systems components (applies only to second year as of yet). So I will be taking an exam in pulmonary, cardio, and renal ~ Jan 19. Our last exam was neuro/GI and that was admininstered Nov 10. The most likely reasoning behind this change is to expose students to questions that more or less resembled board like questions since the administration was hoping that we would literally get integrated exams. However, that hasn't happened as of yet since we literally got 40 neuro and 40 GI questions on the combined exam. So, as I've mentioned, tweaking the curriculum is a bit awkward at my school- and I'd be highly surprised to hear that this isn't a problem at many schools.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that anyone may have regarding Stony Brook.

SUNYs have a bad rap on the west coast as being schools of poor quality. I was actualy discouraged from applying to them. Apparently, as state schools, NYers are stuck with them.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
SUNYs have a bad rap on the west coast as being schools of poor quality. I was actualy discouraged from applying to them. Apparently, as state schools, NYers are stuck with them.

We NYer's like our state schools and I for one don't think they are of poor quality. They may not be up to par with the "insane to get into" UC's, but I believe the SUNY's will give anyone a solid medical education without going into huge amounts of debt. Plus, the match rates were excellent at Stony Brook, Downstate and Upstate(haven't gone to Buffalo yet).

I know nothing about them, but the thread is entitled SUNY reputation or something along those lines. Just letting you know what I've been told, not how I feel. ;)

Originally posted by daisygirl
I'm a second year at Stony Brook. We are rarely in class till only 12. For the most part, we are in class till 3:00 during second semester of first year and throughout second year. During the first semester of first year, you will most likely be in anatomy lab till 5:00 three days a week (schedule I think says 3-4, but anatomy lab is simply a place where you will spend a lot of time).

I like Stony Brook, but it is a young school that is stumbling a bit while trying to find the right curriculum. The smaller modules the original poster referred to are not "interweaved". They are simply classes that you will take during first year- i.e. nutrition, preventative medicine (should really be called medical epidemiology), MCS (medical ethics with some medical law stuff) and ICM (introduction to clinical medicince). BLS is basic life support and this is not a class but instead a few hour course taken in order to be certified by the American Heart Association for BLS.

Anyhow, the administration has been trying different things in order to find the ideal curricular structure. For example, this year they've decided to combine exams for systems components (applies only to second year as of yet). So I will be taking an exam in pulmonary, cardio, and renal ~ Jan 19. Our last exam was neuro/GI and that was admininstered Nov 10. The most likely reasoning behind this change is to expose students to questions that more or less resembled board like questions since the administration was hoping that we would literally get integrated exams. However, that hasn't happened as of yet since we literally got 40 neuro and 40 GI questions on the combined exam. So, as I've mentioned, tweaking the curriculum is a bit awkward at my school- and I'd be highly surprised to hear that this isn't a problem at many schools.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that anyone may have regarding Stony Brook.

Thanks for the accurate info. The information I posted is just what I learned from the interview.

Could you list any other pros or cons about Stony Brook? Do you like it there? I interviewed there in October and have not a got a decision from them yet, but they are one of my top choices.

Originally posted by czarbasch
Thanks for the accurate info. The information I posted is just what I learned from the interview.

Could you list any other pros or cons about Stony Brook? Do you like it there? I interviewed there in October and have not a got a decision from them yet, but they are one of my top choices.

Ditto. It's been almost 4 weeks for me post-interview and my file still isn't up for review by the committee...

I loved Stony Brook when I visited... Also, the class size is small(101) if you are looking for that in a medical school. I for one am. I went to a school that had a huge undergrad class where I barely got to know anyone.

Originally posted by czarbasch

I am unable to give you any information regarding admissions since I have no idea what goes on in the admissions office. I can only give you information regarding my own experience. It took me three weeks to find out I was accepted- however, keep in mind that I found this out towards the end of the interview season. I sent my secondary out the day before it was due via fedex, so I interviewed later and acceptances are most likely sent out relatively quickly at that point during the interview season.

I do like it at Stony Brook. I think the strongest reason for my liking Stony Brook is that I like my class for the most part. There are many people in my class who did not go straight into medical school from undergrad- and I think it is quite refreshing to be around people who have had a multitude of life experiences.

I hated the first semester of school due to many reasons, some being personal and some due to just trying to get acclimated to a overwhelming amount of work. I did like second semester-on in school though. However, don't read that as my saying that I've loved every class that I've taken after first semester. One of my biggest dislikes is the structural components of some classes taught at Stony Brook. I hope that the administration will try to enact positive changes to the curriculum in the future so that incoming students won't have to deal with some of the BS in the curriculum. The administration seems to be trying, but I do believe that they need to try harder. Specifically some of my gripes: we are not given quality syllabi in all of our classes- some classes seem to distribute syllabi for the sake of saying 'here is a syllabus'; some of the teaching is really bad (renal in physiology, preventative medicine, etc..); in some classes, what is taught is so not what is tested (oh boy is preventative medicine a big example of this); professors whining that students don't come to class (well if the class was actually useful, people would really show up- preventative medicine is once again a prime example of this); too much didactic learning and not enough of small group sessions of TRUE QUALITY.

I don't want anyone getting the impression after reading this that I hate my school or that the education is subpar. As I've said before, change takes time and patience. However, I do believe that the administration is not doing enough. I don't believe that it can be excused that course directors are handing out crappy syllabi for the sake of doing so b/c the administration told them they had to do it. I don't know if this is the root of all the problems, but I'd venture a guess and say that course directors are not held accountable enough for the quality of the material and the method of delivering it.

A prime example of some positive change that was instituted by the course director and the faculty may be illustrated by the second year course pathophysiology of GI. This year for the first time they had us use an excellent syllabus, and we also had only three hours of small group learning a day. During those three hours the faculty would only discuss key points that they felt were necessary to discuss and they left it up to us to learn the rest of it at home. We then discussed a couple of cases. I absolutely loved the format and thought it was the best class that I have ever taken while in medical school. It had the perfect mix of independent learning and 'true active learning' in a small group setting. After having spoken to the course director, he told me that they instituted these changes hoping to get students more involved in the learning process and this was also done b/c attendance in class during the previous years was poor. So, it was done b/c the course director took it upon himself to change the course to reach a better outcome with the students- it wasn't done b/c the administration was pushing them (I'm pretty sure of this since it is not hard to reach such a conclusion if one looks at the way other classes are run).

I wish all of you luck, and please don't think that I'm bashing my school. I'm simply relaying to you what I believe could be fixed in order to provide a quality education that is enjoyable and not agonizing.