SUNY Schools and OOS friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bianca01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the SUNY schools are out of state friendly? What would you say is the average GPA/MCAT score accepted for OOS applicants?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to know this, too. I'm planning on applying to Upstate and Buffalo (and maybe Downstate). It sounds like they are all pretty receptive to OOS applicants. Plus resident tuition after year 1 is awesome!

I have a huge excel worksheet with almost all of the medical schools with every possible number worked out (from med school websites, MSAR, and US News & Report); I'll just list what I have for SUNYs. Keep in mind that the G.P.A. and MCAT is the average from ALL applicants.

SUNY Syracuse: Chance of getting an interview=34.1%
Out-of-state acceptance=7.8% (versus in-state 18.2%)
G.P.A.=3.64
MCAT=29.3P
In-state enrollment=94%
fourth highest interview rate out of list of 103 med schools

SUNY Buffalo: Chance of getting an interview=26.2%
Out-of-state acceptance=8.6% (versus in-state 20.8%)
G.P.A.=3.57
MCAT=28.6P
In-state enrollment=100%
22nd lowest G.P.A. out of list of 103 med schools

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont suppose you would post that excel file would u? or PM it? :)

Dr. Starostik said:
SUNY Syracuse: Chance of getting an interview=34.1%

SUNY Buffalo: Chance of getting an interview=26.2%

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting this, but how did you come up with the chance of getting an interview percentages? That might be for the average applicant, but those percentages are way too high for out of state applicants according to the MSAR.

MSAR 2006-2007:
SUNY-Buffalo (11.8% chance of interview for o.o.s.)
SUNY-Upstate (19.3% chance of interview for o.o.s.)

I'll post the excel spreadsheets as an attachment tonight. Regarding the interview percentages, I looked up the number of applicants that got the interview regardless if they were rejected or accepted afterwards and divided that by the number of total applicants to that particular school. I don't think I used the MSAR for that.

Upstate i think is the most receptive to out of staters. But, I also got an interview at downstate and was subsequently accepted to both upstate and downstate as an out of state with not so stellar stats.

I can't officially confirm anything with documentation, but I have a friend (original residency in CA) that went to SUNY Binghamton for grad school. He had to pay OOS tuition for the first year, but afterwards he became a resident and now pays in state. Not sure if this is the same for the med schools, but I'd assume so.

There was a Buffalo thread somehwere here where someone posted a letter from a dean that expressed the same idea.

I thought for sure that you had to live in NY for 5 years before gaining residency! :eek: Am I completely wrong? I'm wondering if I would add any SUNY schools if I'm wrong.

You can get in-state tuition after living in NY for a year. I'm from VA and paying out of state tuition this year, but just talked to the bursar today about the things I have done to get in-state next year. There are certain things they look for indicating you plan to really live in NY like a bank account, NY driver's license and vehicle registration, NY voter registration, signing a lease or buying a house, if you work, paying NY state income taxes, etc. He mainly said the only problem would be if I went home for the summer next year (which I won't). If you leave and sublet your apartment, you won't be considered a resident (and you probably shouldn't be). Another pitfall could be if your parents are still claiming you on their taxes. That won't fly.

Meddie,
You said that you were accepted to downstate. What were your stats if you don't mind?

Thanks,
Bill

Dr. Starostik said:
I'll post the excel spreadsheets as an attachment tonight. Regarding the interview percentages, I looked up the number of applicants that got the interview regardless if they were rejected or accepted afterwards and divided that by the number of total applicants to that particular school. I don't think I used the MSAR for that.

I can't post the spreadsheets because they are in excel and too large, but I'll be happy to send them to you if you PM me with an e-mail address!