SUNY Stony Brook or NY med scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soren77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently found out that I got a $15,000 per year scholarship at NY med and now I'm considering going there over stony brook. I like how NY Med is closer to the city and you have the option of living in manhattan third and fourth year. Does anybody have any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

hey sorren: you have the option of doing your rotations 3&4 year in the city, but there is NO guarantee that there will be available housing for you at the 95th street apartment building. in fact, only a small percentage of the people who want to do their rotations in the city get into that building. the rest are left to find much more expensive apartments in the city. hope that helps.

CityIvy is right there is no guarantee that u will get an apartment there. On the other hand I understand your point about Stony Brook and how far it is from the city. It is like in the middle of no where. I live about 15 min from NYMC and I work in the city. My choice probably will be NYMC with the scholarship. Both are good schools, u have a scholarship at NYMC so that nearly makes the price even among the two schools, and you have a much shorter commute to the city. You are in a win, win situation, **** give me that choice. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
blazed: did you withdraw from the waitlist or postacceptance?

sorren: i'm not sure what the curriculum is like at stony brook, but at nymc, they really work you to death. there's so much class and first years have exams all the time!

my $. 02: stony brook has a far better reputation, and if you're in state, $15K will only make the prices comparable, not make NYMed cheaper.

thanks for the replies guys. i'm leaning towards stony brook. i like the curriculum and the people there, but nymed's location is much more attractive.

i think it's hard to compare reputation. but so far, i've heard that stony brook's is better.

thanks for the replies guys. i'm leaning towards stony brook. i like the curriculum and the people there, but nymed's location is much more attractive.

i think it's hard to compare reputation. but so far, i've heard that stony brook's is better.

Hi Soren,
I am matriculating at SB this fall as an incoming med student. I interviewed at both NYMC and SB. I don't know whether or not if I would have been accepted into NYMC because I withdrew once I knew that SB accepted me. I like SB much better than NYMC for a few reasons:

(1)I think that the curriculum at SB is more student friendly; it is a systems based curriculum rather than the subject based curriculum of NYMC. Many med students who know people at NYMC say that NYMC's curriculum is extremely difficult (even the students who took us on a tour the day I interviewed said this). I think that I would do better with SB's curriculum and I also think that I will have more spare time because of their curriculum.

(2)I loved the fact that SB has a small class size. I think that this will afford me the oppurtunity to experience a more "family-like" atmosphere. I also loved the students that I met at SB. They really seemed to be a happy bunch and they were really friendly.

(3)Supposedly the administration at SB is incredible. I have spoken to a few med students who were from my undergrad and who happen to be graduating this year from the med school at SB. They all say that the administration is really open to the students and that they have a lot of support fromt the admin. I interviewed with the Associate Dean on Admissions at SB and I have to say that I was impressed with him, he seemed to be a really nice and down to earth guy who cares about the students at SB.

(4)SB seems to put more emphasis on training physicians who are compassionate and culturally sensitive. NYMC gave me the feeling that their number one goal was to train med students who will all pass the boards. Don't get me wrong, all med schools would love a 100% pass rate on the USMLE. It just seemed that NYMC revolved everything around this goal. SB seemed to really care about producing humanistic physicians vs. great statistics.

(5)The tuition (yes, even with the tuition hikes) is a much better deal at SB. NYMC is way too freakin' expensive. Even with your scholarship from NYMC, you will be paying out of the ying-yang. The surrounding area around NYMC is very expensive, so don't even think about living off of campus.

(6)SB is ~ 1-1/2 hours away from the city (by car). NYMC is ~45min - 1hour (by car) from the city. I live in the Bronx, so I should know. Neither school is around the corner from the city, however, you will be able to enjoy the city regardless of what school you choose. Also, see choice (1)--You may find that you will have more free time at a school that organizes its curriculum such as SB's versus the high intensity curriculum at NYMC.

I seriously doubt that either school will give you an edge regarding residency. As long as you work hard at both schools, you will get where you want to go. I think the real difference between the schools comes down to atmosphere and money. I wish you luck in whatever choice that you may make. Hopefully I will see you at SB though :) .

Soren:

Did your scholarship come with the Financial aid package or did admissions just send you a letter.

What were your stats? I want to see if I have a chance for a scholarship. NYMC is a little expensive and I would probably choose SUNY UB over NYMC just for the financial reasons.

Thanks

AK

CityIvy I withdrew post acceptance. MCPHU Was not for me. I have friends there and they love it, but I had some personal reasons that affected my decision. Good luck.

I met a student who is in her third year at NYMC. She did say that they had a test like every week throughout the first year. That was one thing that she did not like about the school. Another thing she seemed disgusted at was the dorming situation. I did not bother to get into to that though.