SUNY Stony Brook or SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tudo Bem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If accepted to both these school which would you recommend and why?

There isn't really a difference in tuition so it is a very difficult decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're from upstate NY, I would 100% recommend Stony, greater chance at specialization, near the city, not as cold and etc.

Also, Congrats!! I didn't hear back after my Stony interview but will be attending Buffalo (I am from the area though so it was my number 1 choice)

if location does not matter much, buffalo ( purely due to students being happier there from what i hear).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what part of the state you want to be in, honestly! Both schools are in super different areas so if you want to be near NYC, go to SB, but if you want more of an upstate feel, go to Buffalo. I'm from NY and I honestly don't want to be anywhere near NYC so I didn't even apply to SB :laugh:

Guys....stony brook is not near NYC. It's like an hour and a half away. It feels like the middle of nowhere (trust me, I live 10 minutes away). You'd get more of a city feel from Buffalo than Stony Brook.

If this helps I am a NY resident.

I was essentially wondering what the reputations are like and if there is an advantage of going to one over the other. I've heard Stony Brook is better and more highly regarded. Is this true?

If accepted to both these school which would you recommend and why?

There isn't really a difference in tuition so it is a very difficult decision.

Do you really want to be under 4ft of snow by october?

Stony Brook.

Guys....stony brook is not near NYC. It's like an hour and a half away. It feels like the middle of nowhere (trust me, I live 10 minutes away). You'd get more of a city feel from Buffalo than Stony Brook.

lmao. They advertise the proximity to the city so much but it really is almost 2 hours on the train. But it is better than buffalo by far. I would pick Stony Brook hands down. Smaller class size. Very nice people. Med school curriculum first 2 years. Research. So many patients. Construction going on to increase the number of chairs even more. Go to Stony.

Haha I wasn't advertising it as being in NYC, but rather "downstate" which people usually assume = NYC. There is a completely different atmosphere when you are south of Albany in my opinion!

Haha I wasn't advertising it as being in NYC, but rather "downstate" which people usually assume = NYC. There is a completely different atmosphere when you are south of Albany in my opinion!

Haha I'm not saying you were. I'm saying Stony advertises itself like that. I'm from long island. But if you think about it tho a 1hr40min train ride into NYC is very convenient.

Do you really want to be under 4ft of snow by october?

Stony Brook.

lol. From the Buffalo area...it's not Antarctica. Rarely snows in October and none sticks to the ground. I haven't seen 4ft of snow in...years. Probably in at least 6 or 7...

I think if you are from downstate you should go Stony but Buffalo has more students involved in research and actually more research opportunities for summer stipends and etc. The research area I was showed at Stony was not super impressive.

lol. From the Buffalo area...it's not Antarctica. Rarely snows in October and none sticks to the ground. I haven't seen 4ft of snow in...years. Probably in at least 6 or 7...

I think if you are from downstate you should go Stony but Buffalo has more students involved in research and actually more research opportunities for summer stipends and etc. The research area I was showed at Stony was not super impressive.

LOL sorry I was overly exaggerating. I have personally never been to buffalo but I have some friends who went there for undergrad and always complained about snow and whenever they had to go back their facebook status was always something along the lines of "heading into the Tundra." I guess I didn't see that they were exaggerating either. My apologies.

LOL sorry I was overly exaggerating. I have personally never been to buffalo but I have some friends who went there for undergrad and always complained about snow and whenever they had to go back their facebook status was always something along the lines of "heading into the Tundra." I guess I didn't see that they were exaggerating either. My apologies.

haha. its okay. there are occasional snow storms but in an average winter nothing too bad. If you are from downstate it's definitely different. And ya, pretty sure everyone calls it a tundra when its snowy and windy..that's the worst. Also, learning to drive in the snow if a acquired skill. ha.......