SUNY Stony Brook vs. Albert Einstein??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daffodils

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I need to make a choice between Stony Brook and Einstein...and so far I don't see much of a difference except that Einstein is closer to the city, is more nationally known, and more expensive. I am leaning towards Stony Brook, but I don't want to regret my decision...so, if anyone has any input at all on either school or on my situation in general, I would appreciate it cause I just don't know what to do right now. People say that both programs are respectable, and that once you're a doctor, you're doctor...

Members don't see this ad.

Albert Einstein...
I was waiting to hear from Stony Brook and took my name off the list when I got into AE. I sat down and figured out expenses, and because AE hooks you up with extras like affordable housing and free recreation center you end up saving a lot. AE is still more expensive, but also considering I wouldn't need a car I came up with SUNY only saving me around 5,000 per year. Not worth it to me, especially since I want to specialize and AE would give me more leeway in choosing a solid residency. (Plus the students were a lot happier and not as geeky....sorry) Congrats on the acceptances and good luck making a decision.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by hodgepodge (edited 04-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by hodgepodge (edited 04-30-2000).]

If I had that choice, I'd be at Einstein. Their reputation is strong, even in California circles. I imagine that getting a MD from a well known school will only help you in the future.

------------------
\

Members don't see this ad :)
so, there's only a $5,000 difference between SUNY and Einstein? I thought it would be more like $15,000...I was curious to see what you factored in...if the difference really is only $5,000, then of course I would prefer to go to Einstein.

When I got that letter on January 15 that AE offered me a seat in the class of 2004, I felt that I was the happiest individual on Earth at a moment. Einstein is a great school, has stellar reasearch, and even though it is the youngest school in the US, it is ranked at the top (first tier).
SUNY Stony Brook is a good school too. However, it propably ha lesser reputation among residency directors when compared to Einstein.
It is also up to you where you want to live. Do you prefer city or rural Stony Brook? I assume it is pretty boring life on Long Island. Sometimes you will be tired of studying and going to Manhattan could be your way to relax and forget med.school for a moment. And of course, you cannot do anything without a car at Long Island. This will bring you additional cost: if you want to buy a car you need money, then you need to pay for gas, parts and labor, and insurance. Don't forget AE housing. Studio cost $389 and you can share it with your classmate. That's less than $200 per months. All utilities except the phone bill are included. One bedroom is $544 per month. Gym and pool are right there on the first floor...

One more thing: AE students spend the least amount of time in lectures, compared to the rest of medical schools. I had info that often students can go home at 2 or 3 pm.

It is up to you...

Thanks for your reply, you make some good points. Of course I would rather be closer to New York City. However, I'm wondering if the extra money is worth being that much nearer to the city? I really don't know. Also, yes, Einstein will definitely be looked upon as more respectable by many residency directors, but at the same time, it seems like most Stony Brook Med graduates do pretty well in terms of their residency matches. So, again, I really don't know. Everyone says it's up to me, but when it comes down to it, it's really a matter of whether or not the extra money will be worth it in the end. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there anyone out there that is in residency? How bad is it to pay back loans?? Will it be worth it to go to a state school rather than a private school??

[This message has been edited by Daffodils (edited 05-01-2000).]

I am in a similar situation about selecting between a more prestigious, and much more expensive, private school and a less expensive but lesser known state school. One of the MDs with whom I work made this suggestion. He said if your career aspirations are to graduate, train, and work in private practice, got the less expensive route as the great training will be equal. If you want a career in academic medicine or research at a bigger urban medical center affiliated with a medical school, go for the bigger name. This information has not totally helped me with my decision, but maybe it will help with yours. Good Luck

Yes, I have heard the same sort of advice from doctors...but it isn't helping me much either in terms of choosing the private vs. public school. If you think about it, we'll only be actually studying in classrooms for two years, and then after that we'll be off doing most of our work in hospitals...so that's why I keep thinking the private school tuition may not be worth it...

I was also talking to someone from Einstein, and she enjoys it, but she does admit that the area is pretty limiting in terms of just hanging out, shopping, etc...of course you have access to the city, but it is still 45 minutes away by bus.

Anyone from either school that has any input?

Ok, I really don't feel like writing out all my #'s, but I'll give you an idea.

I figured 270/month housing at AE including utilities compared to off-campus at SB which I was told would run from 6-800 plus utilities. Then for personal I figured I would have to add in car expense which is insane....probably about 5,000 a year which includes gas and insurance and buying/maintaining a car (that's a generous estimate I think). Obviously if you already have a car this can be cut down somewhat, but maintainance is still there. Since Stony Brook didn't have a recreation center that also added in to the cost (plus I'm in martial arts so the free on-campus TKD and Haikido at AE were a plus). These things saved me about 1000/year (plus travel time since everything is right there). There were a # of other factors at AE that saved me $ and time, but what saved me $ might not apply to you. Best way to find out is to determine your own budget (obviously).

Hope this helped.

Daffodils- I am currently getting my application together to apply to SUNY StonyBrook for Fall2001. This is the only school I will apply to because I live in the area and I am a mother of two little girls. I was wondering if you could give me any info that might help my chances of getting into StonyBrook Grades, interview, MCAT...I would be delighted if I could go to Medical School there. P.S. I got a PT degree from StonyBrook and I have two best friends that got MD degrees One is doing a fellowship at Johns Hopkins in Opthomology and the other is taking time off since she just had a baby! E mail me @ptbear1970@AOL THanks

I think other Hodgepodge has summarized the pro-Einstein position pretty well. I'm also going to AE next year, so I'm also biased in favor of the school, but here's my take.

If money is the issue, you should speak to the Financial Aid directors of each school
and see if you are eligable for any grants or scholarships which may reduce your costs. Then factor in the cost of living, commuting, maintaining a car etc. and other quality of life issues, such as the scedule of classes, nature of the student body, access to a gym and entertainment/recreation facilities. You might find that the difference is not as great as you might think.

I think the main issue is if you prefer a rural/suburban environment or access to an urban environment. The populations attending the affiliated hospitals of each school are quite different, and I susupect you might have more "hands-on" clinical opportunities at Einstein. Also, I've heard Stonybrook is a commuter school, without a strong sense of student community. Once again, this is something to factor in, since it may have a large impact on your happiness in the program.

Go visit the schools for a secondf time and go with your instinct, you really can't go wrong becuse both are very good schools.

Good luck!

HodgePodge - I'm also going to AE next year.
E-mail me at [email protected] if you'd like to
talk about school sometime.

noah and hodgepodge--
thanks for your answer...
yes, i would like to go to each school a second time, but the deadline of May 15th is fast approaching. generally i think i would prefer einstein, and the money issue can't be ignored...but there are so many other med students that have to deals with loans that i probably can deal with them as well...i still haven't decided where to go but i will make sure to tell everyone once i make a decision!

is there anyone from stonybrook out there with some input??

[This message has been edited by Daffodils (edited 05-02-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Daffodils - definately check out the schools a second time if you have the chance. The whole issue of student debt is a bit hard to swallow, but I've taken a similar attitude as you have. It's just the reality of attending medical school and almost every student goes through the same thing - we'll all face massive loans after graduation.

I am applying to SUNY StonyBrook for Fall 2001. I hope to get in, Anyone with interview experience or info to help would be appreciated. Grades, MCATS, recommendations, work experience

I went to medical school at SUNY SB and continued to be a resident there. You will have more money if you goto SB. Money is not everything. Be happy. You will be happier at AE.....trust me. If you want a subspecialty or a compatative field, AE will get you there easier. The network of MDs at AE and its affiliated institutions will be better connections in the future. People do get good fellowships from SB, but I can assure you that they are not as happy. In Stony Brook, that "tunnel" that you hear about is as dark as it gets. If you can find a way to suck up the expenses, go to AE. I did a 4th year medical school rotation out there. It was nice that you had NYC, Queens, Bronx (Yankees), Long Island, etc. at your fingertips. In SB, you are in the middle of nowhere and far away from anything else (and don't listen to anyone who says the beach is so close and Port Jefferson is so nice--it is but only for 3 moonths a year and even then it is nice at like 1 pm when you are working).
Don't say I didn't warn you.

docintraining--
Thank you so much for your response...I really wanted to hear from someone who actually went or is going to Stony Brook. I've heard mixed reviews about the place, some people seem to really like it, but others have complained.
Originally, I thought the money issue was a big thing...Stony does give a good education for a great price.
But the more I think about it, almost every other med student will be out on loans, and they seem to be dealing with the money issue fine. I know that I may always regret it if I don't go to Einstein.
Thanks for your advice.

Any other input will be greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Daffodils (edited 05-03-2000).]

Hey Daffodils - Just wondering if you've made a decision yet? Please post when you do!

Noah

Well, I've finally made my decision, after agonizing over it for a while...

Drumroll please...

I have decided to attend Albert Einstein!

There are many reasons for this decision...but basically I knew I wanted to go to Einstein over Stony Brook, but I wasn't sure if it was really worth ALL that money. But after thinking about it, I think there's a chance that I would regret not going to Einstein if I went to Stony Brook. Also, the money is a big factor, but I figure, hey I'll be able to pay it back...it seems like most med students deal with it fine.

So, now that I made a decision, my mind is at peace! I'm excited to see what Einstein has to offer...

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who responded to my plea for help.
smile.gif

Thanks!

Hey Daffodils,

I'm currently finishing up my second year at Stony Brook and here's my take on the school:

-it's a young school and outside of NY it may not be as well known as other medical schools but it is well known in NY and bordering states

-I believe they work us hard here (meaning you will learn lots) but I must say the students here are so helpful to one another and it is a completely noncompetitive environment to learn in (a welcome change from my premed days at NYU!) Most everyone here comes from an interesting background and we have lots of 'non-traditional types' -from what I hear Einstein does as well.

-the beach is five minutes away and NYC is a seventy minute drive

-don't be fooled ($10,800 tuition at SB is a big difference from private school tuition which can run into the upper twenties.) The average loans a student here takes out probably is about 20K a year. That's probably less than half of what private school students have to take out. Multiply how much a school is going to cost you per year times four, compounding interest at 8% a year. Then keep compounding it 8% for four more years during residency when your salary will only allow you to pay off the interest and you can see how some private school graduates will eventually end up paying a quarter mil for a med school education.

-SB is particularly strong at anatomy, pathology and organ systems (if you decide to come here you will learn anatomy like no where else!)

-finally, a doc once told me that unless you go to med school at the top four places or at the bottom fifteen, it really doesn't make a difference

Good luck in your decision and congratulations for getting into med school.

Any more questions for me -just post...

Wow!

I guess I was about 15 minutes too late!!

That's funny...and I just came across this website by chance tonight for the first time...hey daffodils ever hear in fate?

: )~

Daffodils - Congratulations on making your choice. Now you can finally relax and enjoy the rest of the summer. A fellow AE '04 student has is setting up a web site for people in our class to exchange info and meet one another. Check it out at www.docz.com if you're interested or you can e-mail him at [email protected].

Take care.

KoolAid--
Thanks for your input! You have mentioned a lot of positive aspects about Stony Brook, and that's why I had such a hard time deciding between the two schools. Did you have to make a similar choice between med schools as well?

Noah--
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check out the website.

Daffodils,

Yes, well sort of...I had to choose between three SUNYs I got into. It finally got down to SUNY Brooklyn vs. SUNY Stony Brook.
I lived in Manhattan for four years and so I took the decision very seriously about how well I could adapt to suburban life. I figured in the end that life in Brooklyn in and of itself would offer little advantage over Stony Brook. Furthermore, it really isn't that hard to go to the city from SB. There's trains that take an hour and a half and it's a 70 min drive.

What really clinched SB for me was that its curriculum is geared towards making you a complete physician. Not just knowledgeable in the biomedical sciences or clinically competent, but able to make ethical decisions, able to communicate effectively with patients, and able to maintain a healthy and supportive style of practice. We spend more hours, (for better or worse), than any other med school on the east coast in medical ethics, our role as healers, the role of medicine in contemporary society, how to make the patient feel at ease and most importantly how each illness impacts a patient's life. SB is also an innovator when it comes to peer counseling and peer groups. Students are very supportive of each other and when any one here is in need of academic help other students pitch in and help out and the faculty is very understanding and will devote time to that student. I wanted to know that the school that I was going into had a humanistic component to it. After every major exam we have some sort of house party or sporting activity or something...

These were some of the other aspects I looked at when comparing med schools. Each applicant is different, however, and different environments are suitable for different people.

Good luck in the future.

KoolAid,it is great to hear such wonderful things said about StonyBrook. I am applying to StonyBrook for 2001. I WANT to go there. I would love to chat with you and talk about my chances, your interview, grades, and other positives about the school.Can you email me a [email protected] Thanks for the positives!!!