1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SUNY Stony Brook vs. Farmingdale

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Nope 99, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Nope 99

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I currently attend SUNY Stony Brook. For various reasons, I may have to transfer out. I still want to aim for medschool, but Farmingdale only more recently became a four-year school. Stony Brook has a big reputation for having a difficult science track and matriculating a lot of students to medschools.

My question is: assuming a good GPA (3.6+) at Farmingdale, would someone still have a good chance of getting into medschool? Or, since it's not a very renown school for pre-med (not yet, anyway), would Farmingdale be a poor choice?

Second question would be, if you had a really good GPA, say a 3.8 at Farmingdale, but something like a 3.4 at Stony Brook (which is definitely a more difficult university), which would look better?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Dude just go to stony brook and just get a high GPA. Farmingdale is barely half a step above a community college.

You'll get a much better education at stony brook and better opportunities. You're connected to Stony Brook medical center so you'll have the opportunity to get hospital experience, plus Stony Brook is big on research and its near impossible to not get into research if you want to.

And its not impossible to do well at SB either.

4. violet7

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A lot of people might disagree with me, but I say go where you'll end up with higher GPA. Some med schools seem to have a cut off gpa level, which means if you are below a certain number, they won't even look at the rest of your application. No med school, however, rejects people based on the name of their undergrad institution...think about that.

5. Nope 99

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is what I was thinking, so I wasn't sure if it'd be better for me to transfer to Farmingdale and pull a stellar GPA.

Granted, I think I can fare well at Stony Brook, I want every edge I can get. The question is, which edge is sharper? That of a higher GPA, or of a reputable institution?

6. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Farmingdale is NOT a particularly good school. Stony Brook is. You think you're going to go to farmingdale and just slide through with your 3.8? Even if you can, you're probably not learning crap. Theres less choices for majors and variety of classes that you want to take, plus don't you want to have somewhat of a challenge? Theres a reason that Stony Brook has so many premeds and has a lot of people who go off to medical school.

Plus you have absolutely no idea if you can get a 3.8 at farmingdale or if you get a 3.4 at stony brook. How do you know that you'll get a 3.4 at the brook? You may get a 3.9, you may get a 2.5. If your heart is set on farmingdale then go to farmingdale, but wanting to go there just because you think you're going to get a higher GPA is dumb, and that applies to any two schools. Go where you're going to get the better education.

7. 656844

656844 Guest
    Removed

Pre-Medical

#6 656844, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. lazyindy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

#7 lazyindy, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014