SUNY Syracuse? Upstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredpremed79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm anxiously awaiting news from upstate. I interviewed Feb 16th. Does anyone know if the committee has reviewed the applications from that day yet? Has anyone heard anything recently? Anyone get any calls tonight?? I'm beside myself with worry. Thanks guys for any help you can give me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I interviewed on Feb 14 and I'm freaking out right now!!!! I can't concentrate on anything....... :(

i emailed last week thursday and they said there wasn't a decision and that it could take 5+ weeks this time of year :( AHHHHHH still crossing fingers for tonight

Members don't see this ad :)
It took about 3 weeks for them to let me know--- they called me on the phone and told me, and then sent out the acceptance package 2 weeks later. This was back in November though, but I'm sure they are still on the 4 weekish time frame. Keep the faith, and relax!

Out of curiosity, what makes you want to goto Upstate?

Thanks for the info everyone-- makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that I'm not the only one in the dark. I hope that we all get acceptances very soon!! :) Cappymo-- I really like Upstate's rural medicine program-- it seems great!

macs4me said:
I'm in the same boat. I interviewed on Feb 14 and I'm freaking out right now!!!! I can't concentrate on anything....... :(

I interviewed with Upstate on 2/14 also and the acceptance letter arrived 3/16. Good luck to all of you.

philchemist said:
I interviewed with Upstate on 2/14 also and the acceptance letter arrived 3/16. Good luck to all of you.

Philchemist,
Did you get a phone call before the letter arrived? If so, when did you get the phone call? Thanks.

I just called admissions....turns out that all files received last week will be sent letters. No phone calls were made to even the ppl who were accepted last week. Hope that helps! There's still hope!

macs4me said:
I just called admissions....turns out that all files received last week will be sent letters. No phone calls were made to even the ppl who were accepted last week. Hope that helps! There's still hope!

Macs4me,
Thanks for the info! They didn't happen to say up to which groups were reviewed last week, did they? Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! :)

macs4me said:
oh I wonder why they aren't calling anymore?

scaredpremed79 said:
Philchemist,
Did you get a phone call before the letter arrived? If so, when did you get the phone call? Thanks.

I got a phone call this morning and the letter arrived the day before. I guess she didn't expect the letter to arrive so quickly. I hope this info is useful. Anyway, I'm sure everything will work out for you. Good luck.

i am a suny upstate ms4 and will be happy to field any questions about the city of syracuse. don't ask me admissions questions

pamchenko said:
i am a suny upstate ms4 and will be happy to field any questions about the city of syracuse. don't ask me admissions questions

Is your matchlist for this year posted online anywhere?

jclarke said:
i emailed last week thursday and they said there wasn't a decision and that it could take 5+ weeks this time of year :( AHHHHHH still crossing fingers for tonight

Any phone calls yet today? Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting like I am!

pamchenko said:

I am kind of worried that life in Syracuse will be dramatically different than life in NYC (where I'm from). I've lived my whole life in the city and I am sort of nervous about leaving this part of NY. Are you originally from the Upstate area or did you have to adjust as well? Did you like the Syracuse lifestyle? Are you planning on staying in Syracuse when you grad? Is the weather there really that bad? Also, I was planning on checking out an off-campus apt. Any thoughts on that as well? Thanks in advance for any advice. -L.

LorinE said:
I am kind of worried that life in Syracuse will be dramatically different than life in NYC (where I'm from). I've lived my whole life in the city and I am sort of nervous about leaving this part of NY. Are you originally from the Upstate area or did you have to adjust as well? Did you like the Syracuse lifestyle? Are you planning on staying in Syracuse when you grad? Is the weather there really that bad? Also, I was planning on checking out an off-campus apt. Any thoughts on that as well? Thanks in advance for any advice. -L.

what sux is that there are alot of ppl in my class from nyc/long island. I'm from westchester county myself. what really bothered me is that some of my LI friends "wanted desperately to go back to nyc because there's nothing to do in syracuse." These ppl from LI are also the same guys that love to go to the Olive Garden and Hooters. I think that while you may be from NYC, unless u have taken full advantage of nyc, I think syracuse is more than adequate for most people. I've had a great time my four years here in syracuse and am leaving because I needed to be closer to my family. Furthermore, I wasn't crazy about the surgery dept here. Syracuse has great sports leagues to play in and I've had a great time even though it gets repetitive. What's not repetitive is that there is still alot of people to meet in syracuse and if you're the social type, I'm sure you'll succeed here. I think syracuse is what you make of it. The real con is that its colder here than other places and I can't play softball right now.

Hey all;

Just wanted to post on here in case someone else was still watching this thread. I interviewed at upstate on 2/16 and got a phone call tonight around 7ish. I think they call Wed and Thurs nights, and maybe Fri (though I'm not sure about that).

Best of luck to all!

sigh; no call. i thought this was my best interview and, thus, best shot. Sigh. :(

jclarke said:
sigh; no call. i thought this was my best interview and, thus, best shot. Sigh. :(

I haven't gotten the magical call either. I think now I'm just hoping for the waitlist. I heard that tons of people get pulled from the waitlist so I'm hopeful. I think there's still a chance for all of us! Hang in there and best of luck with your other schools.

I was sick with the flu and strep for 2 weeks - I tried to make up the phone calls once I was feeling better - hope I didn't miss anyone!

macs4me said: