SUNY Syracuse vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guardian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an acceptance from SUNY Syracuse. I've always put Downstate ahead of Syracuse, but after hearing some feedback on Downstate I am not too sure. I honestly don't know too much about Syracuse. I'd imagine that Downstate would have an advantage over Upstate in good residencies matches in NYC. Any input, thoughts, stories, musings would be greatly appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

Patient populations at the two schools are very different. The curriculum at Upstate is slowly evolving to reflect one that is more similar to Downstate's. Downstate's affiliate hospitals, in my opinion, are better as is its research enterprise. Upstate is in a somewhat better location, however, with probably nicer people.

Students at both institutions (at least from what I've heard of Upstate) are cutthroat.

Good luck.

Hey Guardian,
I am a student at Upstate, and I must reply to Tim's comments, since he has a tendancy to be slightly innacurate about Upstate Medical University. We are in a different part of the state than Downstate, obviously, but we still get an ecclectic variety of patients coming through Upstate Medical Center... we are a tertiary care hopsital serving over a million people in central New York. We are affiliated with several hopsitals in the area, offering a wide variety of clinical experience. Our school also offers clinicals in Binghamton, where, on many rotations, you get to work one on one with an attending instead of getting caught in the hierarchy of interns, residents and students (By the way, if you've heard that Clinicals in Bing are only good for students wanting primary care, it isn't true).We are revising our cirriculum, although I do not believe it is to mimic that of Downstate. As for the students here, I would not describe them as cut-throat, or any more competitive than anywhere else. There is a sense of comraderie here and people do work together often to prepare for tests and learn material.
I for one can say that I have really enjoyed my experience here thus far, and have made a lot of friends up here. We were very successful in the residency match last year, I'm not so sure Downstate gives you a true advantage in that respect. If you have any questions about Upstate, write me at [email protected]

Izzy :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity how do the match lists compare between the two schools for more competitive residencies such as radiology or ortho(especially ones in NYC) ?

Hey Izzy,
Is Upstate's residency match list accessible through the homepage. If so can you tell me how, I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks.

One of the benefits of Downstate not often stated is that it has large residency programs in highly competitive fields ,ie Urology,Ortho,ENT,Derm,Rads,and others.Downstate students fill many of these otherwise hard to obtain positions.The school does very well at specialty matches,there are several Downstate grads at NYU_Hosp for Joint Disease Ortho program.

I believe Upstate also has competitive residencies at University Hospital in Surgery and Ortho...they seem to be well-recognized in that field. Tim is probably right in saying the admin and people are probably nice at Upstat compared to Downstate.
Downstate, however, might have better clinical training due to location. You have to deal with that location, however, during yuor basic science years, as Upstate and Syracuse is general is very nice and the med school has nice housing. Also, the class size is larger at Downstate and I'm nore sure about housing there.

does anyone know Upstate's or Downstate's grading system? That could be important too. Both downstate and upstate have revised their curriculums to be more organ-based and allow for early patient contact.

You are splitting hairs here. Both have good reputations and you'll be fine at either one. Go with the one you feel most comfortable at. Enjoy medical school.

Nik, Its Honors/High Pass/Pass?Fail.. and conditionals as well

Izzy

Im in no way an expert, but a nurse practictioner spoke very highly to me of suny downstate when I was in the hospital. Just trying to help.