1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

SUNY Syracuse

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rosa, Sep 25, 2002.

1. rosa

rosa Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody know if SUNY Syracuse accepts a good number of out of staters?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KG

KG Member
    10+ Year Member

They say they have no preference for in-state students.

4. rosa

rosa Member
    7+ Year Member

cool, thanks for the quick reply!

5. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think around 80% of their matriculants were from NY. i could be wrong though

6. rosa

rosa Member
    7+ Year Member

hmmm...so do they ACCEPT a good percentage of out-of-staters and 80% of matriculants end up being in-staters??
    I don't wanna pay $100 for the secondary if they prefer in-staters! Geez...I am in so much debt!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

7. isidella

7+ Year Member

I downloaded the suny md/phd app, filled it in. Called the admissions office and they said they have recieved a few of the online pdf apps and that they are the wrong apps. They will be taking the files offline soon. Also the suny med school app that is online is only for the 2002 school year. Admissions lady said it should not be online either and that their computer nerd will remove it.

Bottom line, she said to wait and the school will send a paper secondary soon (I have been getting paper secondaries since August). Of all of the schools I have applied to, suny seems like the most disorganized with bad online info. Anybody else experiencing this?

8. rosa

rosa Member
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree...I looked online but they have no helpful info at all about their requirements, etc.! And I just got their secondary last friday!

9. KG

KG Member
    10+ Year Member

They've had a staffing shortage in their admissions office recently, but hopefully will be back up to speed soon. Keep after them - maybe we'll be classmates! I just got accepted yesterday, EDP!

10. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Rosa,
    From what I know (from current upstate students) is that they have taken mostly in-state students in the past, just like the other SUNY schools, but the rumor is that starting this year they will no longer give preference to NY residents. I am not 100% about this, but I have heard it from a few people.
    JMD

11. premed58

premed58 New Member

Yes SUNY Upstate no longer has a preference for NY residents but in the past they did this might explain why a large percentage of students where from NY in the past.

12. wholly

wholly Member
    7+ Year Member

I am not too sure about them giving no preference to in-staters. From what I have heard (last year to be exact) is that b/c it is a state school, they give preference to in-staters. I may be wrong, however, I know a physician on the board. Your best bet is to call the admissions office and outrightly ask. GOOD LUCK!

13. according to the MSAR less than 10 % of the incoming class at any SUNY is out of state. I would say it is very difficult to get in out of state. Stony Brook was 99 % in state.

I would look at NYMC - they accept a lot more out of state-ers

14. premed58

premed58 New Member