SUNY upstate, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the boards and was just accepted to SUNY upsate(my first acceptance). Anyone else accepted here and really considering attending? I liked it a lot, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed there and enjoyed the experience. I was wondering when you interviewed and how did they notify you about acceptance? (Email/Phone/Snail)

Yea, Upstate had very nice facilities. Brand new $3 million anatomy lab and an overall great place to attend med school, in my opinion. I interviewed on November 13th and got a phone call on December 6th. Unfortunately, I didn't check my voicemail until the following Saturday and forced myself to wait two days until I could call and hear my official acceptance. They followed this with the whole snail mail package a few days after telling me on the phone.

Overall, I have several pending decisions in NYC schools, but I am strongly considering attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I interviewed on November 22nd and they said we should know either right before the holidays or right after. One other question I have is, on SUNY's online application system, does it say under application status "Decision Made" or "Accepted?" Mine currently says Decision Made, and I was reading in another thread on SUNY Buffalo that it's just a euphemism for wait list/rejection.

Hey everyone, new to the boards and was just accepted to SUNY upsate(my first acceptance). Anyone else accepted here and really considering attending? I liked it a lot, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

....congrates...

edit: mine too says "decision made"...i guess thats a rejection/waitlist, since I interviewed before nov 13th...oh well

Can anyone else who has been accepted to SUNY Upstate confirm or deny that "Decision Made" actually means rejection/waitlist? Looking for someone who has "Decision Made" written and received an acceptance phone call.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe SUNY Upstate has an online status page. If you know something that I don't, post the URL and I'll let you know what it says.

Application Data
Admission Term: Fall 2007 Term
Admission Type: Regular (Standard)
Application Status: Decision Made
Level: Professional
Degree: Doctor of Medicine
College: College of Medicine
Major: Medicine
Date Created: Sep 07, 2006

Yes, I was accepted as aforementioned and it says on the webpage, "Decision made"

Thanks a lot, NYyanx28, still hope!

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe SUNY Upstate has an online status page. If you know something that I don't, post the URL and I'll let you know what it says.

Dude...seriously?

Members don't see this ad :)
My page said high priority alternate list. So as i see it you are eighther accepted or rejected.

Dave

My page said high priority alternate list. So as i see it you are eighther accepted or rejected.

Dave

great! hahaha since I didnt get the phone call. It's obvious +pity+

The director of admissions told my interview group that we should hear back within 5 weeks. If you dont hear anything by then, call their office and ask. We were told thats what we should do. The announce acceptances by phone, so if you dont get a call, you could still get on the high priority waitlist, which gives you a very good chance of an acceptance.

The director of admissions told my interview group that we should hear back within 5 weeks. If you dont hear anything by then, call their office and ask. We were told thats what we should do. The announce acceptances by phone, so if you dont get a call, you could still get on the high priority waitlist, which gives you a very good chance of an acceptance.

I interviewed on December 4th, and a guy from my interview group was accepted last wednesday/thursday. So, I think they are having a rapid turnaroud, or they LOOOOOOVED him. I only sent my campus choice form in at the beginning of last week...so...hoping to hear this week...

So acceptance comes via phone, and all other decisions are delivered via snail mail? Thanks!

I interviewed on December 4th, and a guy from my interview group was accepted last wednesday/thursday. So, I think they are having a rapid turnaroud, or they LOOOOOOVED him. I only sent my campus choice form in at the beginning of last week...so...hoping to hear this week...

You got into Miami and still went to the Upstate interview? Seriously...thats uncalled for! If I got into Miami (even the FAU campus), I would be blowing off everyone but top 20 schools.

Syracuse is so grey and bleak!

Miami is so....Miami! (even if the Miami is in Boca)

You got into Miami and still went to the Upstate interview? Seriously...thats uncalled for! If I got into Miami (even the FAU campus), I would be blowing off everyone but top 20 schools.

Syracuse is so grey and bleak!

Miami is so....Miami! (even if the Miami is in Boca)

Err, but isn't Upstate way cheaper? Miami is $52K+ after room and board, while Syracuse is ~$35K (they don't have regular room and board costs but they give estimates on how much you'll need).

I'd still consider Upstate even if I got into Miami lol

Miami is around 80k more expensive total. I've spoken to quite a few recent grads who said if there was one thing they would do differently, its not base their choice of school on money. You could pay off $80k on a doctor's salary without much duress. If you're from FL, being around your family and friends and having the weather and the beach and everything else about Miami, would make that 80k a small price to pay.

Dave

i was put on the waitlist too but mine says decision rendered???

I just got a voicemail from SUNY UPstate, asking me to call them back. Is this how they schedule interviews, or do you think it's a request for more information? I called back, and just got a messaging system.....

I just got a voicemail from SUNY UPstate, asking me to call them back. Is this how they schedule interviews, or do you think it's a request for more information? I called back, and just got a messaging system.....

They do indeed schedule interviews over the phone. :)

Yea, they called me with an interview invite.

Hey folks, FYI I interviewed right after thanksgiving, status page reads "Decision made" and I got snail mail for High Priority Alternate... :luck:

Miami is around 80k more expensive total. I've spoken to quite a few recent grads who said if there was one thing they would do differently, its not base their choice of school on money. You could pay off $80k on a doctor's salary without much duress. If you're from FL, being around your family and friends and having the weather and the beach and everything else about Miami, would make that 80k a small price to pay.

Well then...that settles that :)

JK, I would love to go to Miami - Main campus... I went on my Syracuse interview, because I want to go on every interview I get, so I can make an educated decision and I had no acceptances at the time anyways...

Yeah I know 80K isn't a huge deal (if you look at my previous posts I've argued for even larger differences), but if you like both schools similarly then it could very well swing the vote one way or another.

And anyways, I would probably elect to go to Syracuse over Miami because my family is in New York, and all my friends are in the northeast (mostly NYC, but some in Massachusetts, brother goes to school in New Hampshire, etc.)

If my family was from Florida yeah, I'd probably go with Miami, lol.

*WAAAH* PLEASE CALL ME UPSTATE...PLEASEEEEE!!!
*drops to his knees* PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

i got accepted a few weeks ago =)

the phone call was surprising. i didn't know med schools did that.

So I go home today (to my parents place I mean) to get some mail, and notice that there's a thin envelope from Upstate. I nearly panicked that I had gotten rejected without an interview. But I calmed myself and told my mother that it was probably something else, then opened it...

And...it was...

A notice that I'm complete at SUNY Upstate, lol.

Damn them...almost gave me a heart attack.

Right now, I'm about 100% sure about attending SUNY Upstate Medical University.

Right now, I'm about 100% sure about attending SUNY Upstate Medical University.

i got a rejection (low priority waitlist, which has been used for last 5 years) mail.

Good luck for those of you who are going to Upstate. The school rocks! Especially if you factor in that nice tution (33K first year, 18K for last 3)

same thing happened to me. Got the thin envelope, dated december 11th, and then got an interview yesterday on the 18th. Apparently they have a quick turnaround. So hang in there!!

I interviewed in mid December and went to check my status page, but it has a weird message on it. It says "Select an Application Type

To Apply for Admissions, first select the Application Type you want to complete.

College of Medicine Applications
MD/PHD Secondary

Skip to top of page Return to Homepage "

And thats it, can't get to the application status page. I guess they are updating their database, but is this for all applicants (pre-interview, no-interview, post-interview)? Or are they just updating with new info for the post-interview folks? Should I be expecting some news soon?

Junebug,

I also got that message when I went to check my status, although I originally had a status page that said "Decision Rendered."

Yeah I also have that new page where you can only apply to something else.
Still no phone call for an interview =(
Getting kinda depressed since my life has been pretty crappy otherwise too lol.

I also have the admissions login page that directs me to the option of starting a Ph.D. or Graduate application, it doesn't go to my app. I really want them to call me :)

I'm waiting to hear back today (I think). OMG I'm so freaked out....please people think good thoughts for me!

I'm waiting to hear back today (I think). OMG I'm so freaked out....please people think good thoughts for me!

Wait how do you know it's today? When did you interview?

Well, either way, good luck!

Today really? Talked to admiss and they say that ADCOM meets on Wednesdays ( I don't know whether it is to decide on acceptances or interviews). I hope its not today for notifications bc I didn't get a phone call :eek: I hope I get in, it is such a great school!

Good information for you guys: I got my acceptance phone call on a Wednesday night at around 7:20 PM. So don't fret if you don't hear from them during normal business hours on Wednesdays.

Wait how do you know it's today? When did you interview?

Well, either way, good luck!

Hey Everyone,

I interviewed December 4th. Sent my form back a bit late and I sent a few updates because of recent changes to my activities in the past few weeks - new job, new volunteer opportunities can finally be scheduled. They said my decision would be made at beginning of January...oh well no phone call yet...

AAAH!

Good information for you guys: I got my acceptance phone call on a Wednesday night at around 7:20 PM. So don't fret if you don't hear from them during normal business hours on Wednesdays.

So I wonder if anyone gets accepted on other days of the week or only wednesday/thursdays.

Hey Everyone,

I interviewed December 4th. Sent my form back a bit late and I sent a few updates because of recent changes to my activities in the past few weeks - new job, new volunteer opportunities can finally be scheduled. They said my decision would be made at beginning of January...oh well no phone call yet...

AAAH!

at night too. About 7:30 Eastern. I think they do them at night