Suny Upstate Class Of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question. What the deal with the athletic center, or whatever it's called? according to the website, it doesn't open until 8:30....how are you supposed to get there in the mornings before going to class? Am I being unreal to think that I can maintain some sort of exercise regime [3-4 times a week of cardio and/or weight lifting...I'm no body builder, just trying to keep in shape]? Anyone that does exercise with regularity at Upstate, what is it and when is it that you? Thanks for any/all info.

Someone already responded with the time change (as of today), but know that there are a bunch of other gyms in the area if the CAB is not to your liking. Its adequate for the average joe who wants a casual workout and very conviently located, but you can do better with respect to equipment and classes at Bally's or Planet Fitness or even the Fayetteville YMCA--the latter two of which are pretty reasonable pricewise. The CAB is definitely convienent and I am living proof that it is possible to still get a good workout in 3-4, sometimes 5, sometimes 9 days pers week, even with the CAB and its summer hours (9-4:30) as your primary venue.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone already responded with the time change (as of today), but know that there are a bunch of other gyms in the area if the CAB is not to your liking. Its adequate for the average joe who wants a casual workout and very conviently located, but you can do better with respect to equipment and classes at Bally's or Planet Fitness or even the Fayetteville YMCA--the latter two of which are pretty reasonable pricewise. The CAB is definitely convienent and I am living proof that it is possible to still get a good workout in 3-4, sometimes 5, sometimes 9 days pers week, even with the CAB and its summer hours (9-4:30) as your primary venue.

Just what I was hoping to hear....though I dunno, I'll take 9 days a week with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like there will be a mini 2nd visit day on the 28th of April. This is the e-mail I got from Jennifer Welch this morning.

The Admissions Office at SUNY Upstate Medical University will be hosting a mini 2nd Visit Day program on Monday, April 28, 2008. There will be presentations on the Curriculum, Global Health, Binghamton Campus, Student Services and a Student Panel. Hopefully this event will help to answer all of your questions about SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Registration will begin at 9:30am on Monday, April 28th and the day should conclude around 2:00pm.
Please let us know if you are interested in attending by emailing [email protected]
and we will send you further information about the day!
We look forward to seeing you at 2nd Visit Day!

Got the same e-mail. Anyone plan on attending?

Got the same e-mail. Anyone plan on attending?

I would urge anyone that is interested in gaining a more informal, relaxed view of Upstate to attend. It is well worth your time and money if you can swing it. The stress of interviewing isn't weighing you down, and you get a chance to meet more potential classmates. Also, if you have a significant other, it gives them a chance to see what it is all about.

Just my $0.02.

racerx

I would urge anyone that is interested in gaining a more informal, relaxed view of Upstate to attend. It is well worth your time and money if you can swing it. The stress of interviewing isn't weighing you down, and you get a chance to meet more potential classmates. Also, if you have a significant other, it gives them a chance to see what it is all about.

Just my $0.02.

racerx

Just curious, was this the same setup you had for your second look day? I only ask because its being called a "Mini"- second look.

Just curious, was this the same setup you had for your second look day? I only ask because its being called a "Mini"- second look.

It has been a few years now, but IIRC the day was from around lunch 'til about 5PM. I think they may be starting earlier now to allow for people that may have to travel longer distances.

I don't know what the itinerary for the day is this year. However, the year my wife and I attended, Dr. Berg, one of the great anatomy profs. did a knee dissection for the prospective students and their guests. (purely voluntary, and NOT during lunch!);) Also, they went over the curriculum in more depth than can be done on interview day.

I am not sure if the student panel will be those of us that were interviewers or if they'll use other students to give you folks a different perspective than you got at the interview.

racerx

It has been a few years now, but IIRC the day was from around lunch 'til about 5PM. I think they may be starting earlier now to allow for people that may have to travel longer distances.

I don't know what the itinerary for the day is this year. However, the year my wife and I attended, Dr. Berg, one of the great anatomy profs. did a knee dissection for the prospective students and their guests. (purely voluntary, and NOT during lunch!);) Also, they went over the curriculum in more depth than can be done on interview day.

I am not sure if the student panel will be those of us that were interviewers or if they'll use other students to give you folks a different perspective than you got at the interview.

racerx

I've decided that I'm going to Upstate, is it worth going? I'd be in upstate NY the weekend before, but I'd have to figure out how to get to Boston afterwards...

Even thougn I am definitely going to Upstate, I'll probably go to second look anyway. Gettin' kind of excited about this.

Even thougn I am definitely going to Upstate, I'll probably go to second look anyway. Gettin' kind of excited about this.
+1:thumbup:

Yeah, I'm def. leaning towards yes. Be nice to meet some future classmates.

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a roommate who likes pets! I have a cat an a kitten, both really sweet- and am a very responsible pet owner and a great roommate. M/F doesn't matter to me- I'm looking to move into an apartment near campus, and am open to Madison/Jefferson towers or just an apartment in the area. Please let me know if anyone is interested!

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a roommate who likes pets! I have a cat an a kitten, both really sweat- and am a very responsible pet owner and a great roommate. M/F doesn't matter to me- I'm looking to move into an apartment near campus, and am open to Madison/Jefferson towers or just an apartment in the area. Please let me know if anyone is interested!

I don't do smelly animals:D.

j/k. But something worth noting, Jefferson was practically full last week, and i believe madison is almost full less some townhouses. You may want to secure an apartment ASAP if you're set on living there, and worry about finding a roommate afterwards [I'm already set for next year, has nothing to do with pets ;)].

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be heading up for 2nd look on the 28th of April. I will also utilize that weekend to look for houses around the SUNY Upstate area, any one know of a good area relatively close to the Campus where I could look for purchasing a house.

I know I won't have much free time to pursue it a lot but....
Does anyone know of good rock climbing gym's in the area?

Has anybody emailed the admissions office requesting more info on 2nd look? I’m debating if I should make the trip since I would be coming in from CA. Do you guys think it would be worth the trip? As of now SUNY is my only acceptance and I will probably attend this fall unless one of the Cali school pulls for me.

Has anybody emailed the admissions office requesting more info on 2nd look? I’m debating if I should make the trip since I would be coming in from CA. Do you guys think it would be worth the trip? As of now SUNY is my only acceptance and I will probably attend this fall unless one of the Cali school pulls for me.

In your shoes, I probably wouldn't spend the money to come out here for 4 hours.

Anyone in the 2012 year considering an HPSP scholarship from either of the 3 branches?

Anyone in the 2012 year considering an HPSP scholarship from either of the 3 branches?

Considering the FSP or whatever it was for during residency, but I refuse to run the risk of ending up in a speciality I don't want after 4 years of schooling [or 8, or 20, depending on where you choose to count from], so I will not be going for HPSP.

I'm not sure it is really financially worth it at a state school like Upstate. If you want to join the military you can just do it afterwards when you don't own them anything.

Anyone know which is the visitor's parking garage that we can park at on the 28th. I can't seem to find it on the map.

Anyone know which is the visitor's parking garage that we can park at on the 28th. I can't seem to find it on the map.

Most probably the east garage; the one connected to the hospital via a skyway.

Did they send you folks an itinerary yet?

I received an e-mail outlining what to expect, but no firm schedule other than registration time.

Anyone know what the attire is supposed to be like for 2nd Look day on Monday? I can't find anything listed any where on the e-mails they sent out.

Anyone know what the attire is supposed to be like for 2nd Look day on Monday? I can't find anything listed any where on the e-mails they sent out.

With a business casual, you can't go wrong.

I can't remember exact details (still burnt from yesterday's path, pharm, beh. sci, POM2 exam), but am sure suits are not required. That being said, I'm sure showing up in a pair of cut-offs and a hawaiian shirt wouldn't go over well either.

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if those who will be attending 2nd look on Monday can post any info on here concerning what was presented on 2nd look. I will most likely attend SUNY Upstate in the fall but will not be able to make it for 2nd look because I'm in Cali.

Thanks

I'll post the highlights of 2nd look tomorrow night.

I cut out a little early since I worked the night before and my migraine was staging a comeback, but here are the highlights:

We started out with the curriculum overview. The main item here was that they have restructured the first year to better align the courses, so instead of having 9 weeks of MFM, 9 weeks of gross anatomy, there is now some overlap between the majority of the classes.

There are some opportunities to get involved in a wide variety of interest groups and volunteer activities on campus. I got the impression that they are developing a global medicine tract or elective in a vein similar to the rural med tract.

There was an anatomy demonstration which basically amounted to looking at pre-dissected hearts and lungs. Not too gripping, but I got to see more of the labs today than I did on interview day. Dr. Stearns explained how radiology and other imaging techniques were incorporated into the course so that was interesting.

We had the chance to watch a medical student perform a history and clinical exam on a standardized patient and how the feedback process operates. That was very worthwhile.

There was also a student panel consisting of about eight students representing all four years to answer our questions. When asked why they chose Upstate, it boiled down to atmosphere and relatively low tuition costs.

I know that schools tend to pick the "cheerleaders" to take part in these sessions, so it was no surprise that they were all positive about the program. But I can attest to the atmosphere at Upstate since it has been my alma mater for both undergrad and grad school. The vast majority of people I have encountered there have been very supportive and helpful, from faculty to support staff.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful despite it's lack of brevity to those who could not attend. It is now nap time. If I didn't cover something, ask. If wasn't zoning out through it I'll answer or maybe someone who was there (and had all there marbles) can chime in. :D

There are 7 of us graduating this year who are HPSP--4 Navy, 2 Army, and one Air Force. Don't take the forums on SDN for military medicine as doctorine, but they are there. There are pros and cons to these programs and I can tell you all about the Navy's if you would like. Feel free to PM me and Ill give you my email or cell if you want to chat. the bottom line is that if you would do it even if there was no financial incentive and are willing to be a little flexible, then this could be a good program for you. If you are doing it only for the money, then you could wind up very unhappy.

Just to spit out a number, the average upstate grad for 2008 had $131,000 dept not including undergrad--some have a lot more, some have a lot less or none. Some of us on HPSP also took out a small loan each year in addition to the scholarship.

So what was everyone's stats for getting accepted into upstate? I mean i understand its not all a number game, but it does play a big role in the decision process. So if anyone wouldnt mind sharing, i'd appreciate it. I am looking at them mainly because i am from the oswego area, so its only 45-50 minutes away.

You can check the average stats at www.upsate.edu and click on the link to medicine and then go to admissions and FAQ. Going from memory, the figures given at second look was an average MCAT breakdown of 10.1 and GPA of 3.6 (overall GPA and science GPA were similar). This year, there were just under 5300 applicants and they interview about 900.

Is anyone alive on this thread? It has been dead for awhile. So who is definitely going to be at Upstate in the Fall? Count me in.

Is anyone alive on this thread? It has been dead for awhile. So who is definitely going to be at Upstate in the Fall? Count me in.

:hello:

Last I checked, not dead, but that was a few minutes ago, I'll let you know if that changes.

Does anyone have a list of the books they use and are required for MS1 at Upstate...I just wanna know so I can start looking for good deals....save some cash....Ebay here i come.....

Last night when I checked Upstate's web site, there was information posted about orientation, including some of the books and equipment we will need. Here is the link: http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/accepted/

I plan on being there...just need to wrap up my thesis work pronto. I was planning on quitting my job in mid-August. It's looking like I'll have to give 2 weeks notice Friday.

Does anyone have a list of the books they use and are required for MS1 at Upstate...I just wanna know so I can start looking for good deals....save some cash....Ebay here i come.....

I'm a soon to be MSII and I would say you shouldn't buy all the books that they say are required or recommended because you won't have time to read them and the notes are sufficient for the most part. The books I would say you need to have are Pathophysiology of Disease from the Lange series for MLC1, an atlas for Brain and Behavior (I bought the Lippincott version), an atlas for Histology (I bought Basic Histology by Junquiera and Carneiro), and BRS Physiology. I had Neuroscienceby Purves from undergrad, but didn't use it during Brain and Behavior. If you want to save money, you might want to hold off until after orientation week because your big sib might be willing to loan most of those books to you. I was a person who relied heavily on textbooks in college, but had no problem relying on the notes during my MS1 year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Meli has some good advice. All I could add is that for MS1, Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy for gross anatomy was my personal savior. Actual tagged photos very similar to how the anatomy profs do it for the practicals.

Meli,
For MS2, get BRS pathology and Robbin's (the middle sized one). The micro/Immuno texts they suggest are useless (well, one is holding up the corner of my sofa right now), and the pharm text is available in the library if you REALLY are having difficulty sleeping at night.

So summer anatomy? Anyone? I'm getting a little nervous it will be like me and 4 other people rocking out this summer...also is the class like sorta clicky or does everyone socialize? And am I dreaming if I think I'll be able to visit friends etc. on weekends? Thanks ...one week till I'm officially MS1 :scared:

So summer anatomy? Anyone? I'm getting a little nervous it will be like me and 4 other people rocking out this summer...also is the class like sorta clicky or does everyone socialize? And am I dreaming if I think I'll be able to visit friends etc. on weekends? Thanks ...one week till I'm officially MS1 :scared:

I wouldn't worry about summer anatomy. I did not take it myself, but it seems like those who did had a great time doing it. In my opinion, the class is a little cliquey, but if you make the effort you can hang out with lots of different people. As for visiting friends, I think it depends on how far away they are. I managed to visit my boyfriend once or twice a month on the weekends and he was a five hour drive from Syracuse. If you plan ahead, it's definitely doable. I know people who have flown places on the weekends too to visit friends and been fine. You may have to study a little while you're traveling or while you're visiting, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I am a "summer anatomist"...I also know one other person taking the course. I am looking forward to it & hoping it is as much fun as I have heard from those who have done it in the past.

hey future classmates i recently got accepted and now am looking into housing. what did you all do?, i called madison towers but it seems they have no singles available. i found this studio apartment but even though the person on the phone claimed to be walking distance i have a feeling im gonna have to take the bus everyday. any input is greatly appreciated. thnx

So for all you MSII's and up.....for POM, what do I really need to buy as far as equipment goes? $130 for the Littmann Cardio III.....$700 (!!!) oto-opthalmoscope....ouch. Any recommendations, or do I suck it up and buy it because I'll use it for quite a while?

So for all you MSII's and up.....for POM, what do I really need to buy as far as equipment goes? $130 for the Littmann Cardio III.....$700 (!!!) oto-opthalmoscope....ouch. Any recommendations, or do I suck it up and buy it because I'll use it for quite a while?

All of the practice areas and the clinical skills testing areas in Setnor now have wall-mounted oto and ophthalmoscopes. I'd hold off on getting them. We had to have them because there weren't any wall-mounted available back then.

As for Steth. . .you need one. I own a Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite and it is great. The only drawback is that if you have an 18-19" neck, the tubing can seem short if wearing it slung over the neck. I just carry it in my coat pocket instead. I have no opinion about the Littmanns. Never used one.

Most people get the Littmann. It works very well. I've never used the stethoscope that RacerX has, so I can't really compare the two. My guess is that they are probably equivalent.
As far as the oto-opthalmoscope...I bought one because they told us they wouldn't be available in the exam rooms. Funny enough the same week we got our equipment they installed the wall mounted ones :-/. I'm not sure what I would do if I was in your shoes. I might buy one of the pocket versions. They are cheaper (and easier to carry) and they still have the functions that you will need for now. :)
Good luck to the summer anatomy people. All my friends who took it last summer seemed to really enjoy it.