SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

SUNY Upstate (instate) vs. Boston University

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by greenwinds, May 11, 2007.

1. greenwinds

greenwinds

May 8, 2007
    Dear friends,

I am new to SDN. I must make the decision between a state school (SUNY Upstate) and Boston University. The price difference will be around $130,000. Due to the fact that BU tuition is 43K and Upstate is around 20K - and I can live significantly close to home and resupply on food and the like.

I have been consulting with a number of residents and doctors - many of whom always say go to the cheapest school possible - since BU is not an ivy league it will not make a considerable difference where one will place within residency. However, I am a fan of the Boston city and am quite emotional about pursuing dermatology which in itself is quite competitive. Some physicians in this case say to go to boston because I need the name to help me with such a competitive residency and in the long run a derm. career will be well reimbursed.

As you all know - May 15th is the deadline, and I would not be posting here at all if I was leaning towards one or the other - even after my whole last month of thinking.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Definitely SUNY Upstate. Don't fall into the "Ooooh I wanna live in Boston" mentality. It'll get old really fast.

4. Funky

Funky This space is for sale 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    NY
    I'm not sure how many more students match in derm in BU compared to Upstate but I would say it's comparable. Residency placement is mostly all up to you and your Step I score. I say go with the school you feel the most comfortable in. I'm not sure if I would want to pay the additional 130k to live in boston all things considered.

5. Topspin82

Topspin82 Shaken *and* Stirred 5+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2004
    Says the Tufts SOM '11 :rolleyes: lol

I would compare the match rates between the two schools and decide (money shouldn't be the only factor, happiness also comes into play). If you're happy, you tend to be more productive but there's no substitute for hard work, esp for derm. Good luck!

6. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    How does going to Tufts discredit me? :confused:

7. Topspin82

Topspin82 Shaken *and* Stirred 5+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2004
    Because Tufts is in Boston...and you said...nevermind....

btw, not trying to discredit you! Congrats

8. AnxiousBoy

AnxiousBoy 2+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I'm on Suny's waitlist so you know which way I'm leaning :D :D :D

9. Dr Terrier MD

Dr Terrier MD New Member 7+ Year Member

May 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would say definitely SUNY-Upstate (although i should mention i'm on the BU waitlist). Sorry AnxiousBoy :laugh:

10. Dr2Bee

Dr2Bee 2+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2006
    BUSM matches in Dermatology:
    2007 - 2 candidates
    2006 - 0 candidates
    2005 - 4 candidates
    2004 - 2 candidates
    2003 - 4 candidates

Dermatology is a super competitive field. Going to a particular school will only do so much...you'll still have to be at the top of your class with awesome Step 1 scores and some impressive research. Unless BU has something that places you at a bigger advantage that we dont know of and you want to share with us. I've heard that BU has some impressive placements in other competitive specialties every year. It might just make more financial sense to go to a state school and save money.

11. greenwinds

greenwinds

May 8, 2007
    how about when looking into plastics?