SUNY Upstate vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKitty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an acceptance package from Drexel and am now stuck with the dilemma of choosing which school to attend. I loved both schools - the super-nice admissions staff, very diverse student body, lots of non-trads, well-balanced curriculum. Though Drexel is much more expensive (SUNY is my state school), it has much newer facilities, is more technology-driven, and is 20 min from my parents' house :) . Anyway, I guess I just wanted to hear from others their opinions of these schools, especially in regards to the residency match, which clinical departments each school has strengths in, and clinical reputation overall (primary care vs specialties, etc). Anyany opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

DrKitty said:
I just got an acceptance package from Drexel and am now stuck with the dilemma of choosing which school to attend. I loved both schools - the super-nice admissions staff, very diverse student body, lots of non-trads, well-balanced curriculum. Though Drexel is much more expensive (SUNY is my state school), it has much newer facilities, is more technology-driven, and is 20 min from my parents' house :) . Anyway, I guess I just wanted to hear from others their opinions of these schools, especially in regards to the residency match, which clinical departments each school has strengths in, and clinical reputation overall (primary care vs specialties, etc). Anyany opinions?

I'd prefer Drexel!! I thought their curriculum was more innovative. Plus, you will have more opportunities in Philadelphia than Syracuse too.... just my opinion.

when did interview at drexel??

Members don't see this ad :)
Star22, do you mean clinical opportunities?

jmazz12, I interviewed on January 21st, it was Saturday, and there were like 75 other interviwees.

SUNY Upstate all the way. Its not like your comparing Upstate to Hopkins. The debt is not worth it.

damn, i interviewed the 5th of january and still haven't heard a word. I even emailed them and they haven't gotten back to me.

thanks for your reply

jmazz12, no problem. Good luck to you as you are waiting :luck:

USArmyDoc, I hear you, this is so far what I am concluding
:( decisions...decisions..

USArmyDoc said:
SUNY Upstate all the way. Its not like your comparing Upstate to Hopkins. The debt is not worth it.

I totally agree with USArmyDoc. DrKitty, have you seen the match list from Upstate? Also, the cost of living will be different in these 2 cities.

Mikhail

Hi, Mikhail :) I am leaning more towards Upstate. There is still time to make decisions, and I'll be at the second look weekends. It just sucks to decline acceptances :oops:

DrKitty said:
Hi, Mikhail :) I am leaning more towards Upstate. There is still time to make decisions, and I'll be at the second look weekends. It just sucks to decline acceptances :oops:

Hey,

If I get accepted to Upstate, I'll see you at the second look weekend :)

Also, you can keep your acceptances until May 16th :rolleyes:

Mikhail said:
I totally agree with USArmyDoc. DrKitty, have you seen the match list from Upstate? Also, the cost of living will be different in these 2 cities.

Mikhail

It looks like the Drexel and Upsate matches are just about the same quality. Drexel places more people in the prestigious places, but they also have about 100 more students. If you do the math I think you'll see that the percentages are about equal.

As far as technology, I think Syracuse and Drexel are pretty much the same. Drexel may however be slightly more innovative in their curriculum, but it also looks to be alot more intense.

Thank you everybody for your opinions.