SUNY Upstate vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClimberOnCoffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting this on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an SDN account but wanted to ask about this :)
---
Hello all! I'm very thankful to have been accepted to two great programs (SUNY Upstate and St. Louis University), but I'm having a pretty tough time choosing between them. From my understanding, both are well-regarded programs with solid match lists. I'm not sure how they square up reputation-wise and if that's something I should consider in light of the recent Step 1 P/F change. The only difference I can think of right now is that tuition wise, SUNY Upstate is somewhat cheaper than SLU

If it matters, I'm a CA resident and would be an OOS student for both schools. At the moment, I don't know too much about the living environments of Syracuse and St. Louis other than that I know I'm going to be in for a rough time with the cold weather (brr...)

I'm at bit of a loss right now because I liked both programs during the interview days. Any insight or input is very much appreciated, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Posting this on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an SDN account but wanted to ask about this :)
---
Hello all! I'm very thankful to have been accepted to two great programs (SUNY Upstate and St. Louis University), but I'm having a pretty tough time choosing between them. From my understanding, both are well-regarded programs with solid match lists. I'm not sure how they square up reputation-wise and if that's something I should consider in light of the recent Step 1 P/F change. The only difference I can think of right now is that tuition wise, SUNY Upstate is somewhat cheaper than SLU

If it matters, I'm a CA resident and would be an OOS student for both schools. At the moment, I don't know too much about the living environments of Syracuse and St. Louis other than that I know I'm going to be in for a rough time with the cold weather (brr...)

I'm at bit of a loss right now because I liked both programs during the interview days. Any insight or input is very much appreciated, thank you so much!

I think it would be better to go where it’s cheaper. One thing to consider is to see where the students match (regionally). SUNY upstate may have a slight edge in North East residency matches by proximity/connections. If the friend intends on matching back to the West Coast/closer to home, I think the difference is negligible on that front.

Again, I do think that cost is a big factor and in the long run, minimal debt would be the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user