SUNY Upstate vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at2911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would appreciate any advice. For context, I'm born and raised in NYC. Decently strong interest in primary care, although not a lock. This is what I'm thinking/seeing right now:

Upstate

Pros:
-
COA - Financial aid and cost of living differences will save me and my family $35k over 4 years. (Family will probably only be able to contribute 10k - 15k in assistance a year, rest I will take in loans).
- They have a diverse student body (for a medical school) and more than twice as many URMs as Stony Brook. (I'm URM)
- A more relaxed and chill student body based on people who I've spoken to.

Cons:
-
SYRACUSE: Granted I wasn't even there for a full 24 hours, but I'm apprehensive about going up there. I haven't really heard anything positive about Syracuse, except from upstate administrators, including a personal college friend who transferred from 'Cuse because he hated the city. It seems like it would be a boring place to live to be completely honest. I'm not really into the outdoor activities. It is far enough from home/NYC that I couldn't conveniently visit my support systems. The flight is quick tho, but inconvenient and I won't have money laying around. Also, those winters sound like they are miserable and not ideal for stressful medical school.
- Not overly enthusiastic about Upstate overall although I recognize it is an affordable, established medical school.

Stony Brook

Pros:
- Close to family and friends. 2 hours one way by transportation, 1 - 1.5 hour drive to home. I will have my support system within a weekend trips visit for me during this grind.
- Stony Brook has more research opportunities and slight prestige advantage (unless I'm wrong?). I didn't pursue too much research as an undergraduate, so I' not sure how much this should matter. Should give me a better chance matching back into nyc as a resident.
- Seems to be an exciting time at Stony Brook med with the new innovations and upgrades going on. During my interview, I got a good feeling from the school.

Cons:
- The immediate neighborhood is very suburban and boring.

A lot of other criteria were equal in my eyes. I liked the curriculums for each school about equally. Hospitals connected to the med schools. In reflection, the biggest difference between these two schools is the location, with cost being a factor as well. I'm interested in matching back into nyc one day, although not sure. I would love to hear any opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stonybrook's match list is pretty good considering its rank. If you cant see yourself taking advantage of the research at Stony then idt its worth a price bump.

Upstate would be a good fit for price esp if you are into primary care.
It's probably just a bit harder to get to a surgical top residency but if you dont care then watever.

Id prolly take the cheaper option since both areas are pretty dull (in comparison to nyc) esp if you are aiming for a high COL residency.

35K per year or 35K over 4 years? If it's per year I will go with upstate. If you are taking loans, think about the compounded interest for at least 7 years.