SUNY Upstate vs SUNY Buffalo (Jacobs) School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focus_811

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this comparison has been made before in the past several times in this forum, but I am trying to get fresh, up to date, 2018 perspective on people's opinions of the two schools. I understand UB just opened a new medical building in downtown Buffalo for one thing. I really would like to try to get an idea of people's views of either the similarities or differences in the overall education as well as the campus and surroundings. Are teachers friendly and willing to help, are the students friendly, class size, are there mandatory lectures, how long a typical day is, and so on. These are just examples of some things I would like to know more about, but I would be appreciative of anyone who may be either a current or recent student or affiliated with either school in some way to give me whatever information they could.

Also, If you would like to mention the weather, I do pretty much understand that as well as knowing that both schools are pretty much out in very rural areas. I was raised in New York City and I am currently living on Long Island, so I am actually considering going there to be away from everything for awhile as well as being in a new environment (and a lower cost of living doesn't hurt either, lol). Also, I am a non-traditional student, but that's another thread. Let's just say that I don't need to be in a highly social atmosphere 24/7. I'm ok with a rural area and lots of quiet study time. Sorry this went so long, and thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this comparison has been made before in the past several times in this forum, but I am trying to get fresh, up to date, 2018 perspective on people's opinions of the two schools. I understand UB just opened a new medical building in downtown Buffalo for one thing. I really would like to try to get an idea of people views of either the similarities or differences in the overall education as well as the campus and surroundings. Are teachers friendly and willing to help, are the students friendly, class size, are there mandatory lectures, how long a typical day is, and so on. These are just examples of some things I would like to know more about, but I would be appreciative of anyone who may be either a current or recent student or affiliated with either school in some way to give me whatever information they could.

Also, If you would like to mention the weather, I do pretty much understand that as well as knowing that both schools are pretty much out in very rural areas. I was raised in New York City and I am currently living on Long Island, so I am actually considering going there to be away from everything for awhile as well as being in a new environment (and a lower cost of living doesn't hurt either, lol). Also, I am a non-traditional student, but that's another thread. Let's just say that I don't need to be in a highly social atmosphere 24/7. I'm ok with a rural area and lots of quiet study time. Sorry this went so long, and thank you in advance.

UB is in the center of downtown Buffalo

Reactions: 1 user
Ok that's true, I apologize. I wasn't thinking to scale. I understand that Buffalo and Syracuse are cities and not considered rural. When I was thinking rural I was comparing with NYC and other larger cities. But to me it would still be a very welcome change of pace.

Ok that's true, I apologize. I wasn't thinking to scale. I understand that Buffalo and Syracuse are cities and not considered rural. When I was thinking rural I was comparing with NYC and other larger cities. But to me it would still be a very welcome change of pace.

I gotcha. Buffalo is definitely bigger than Syracuse, but doesn't compare to NYC. Both good schools for the price, I liked Upstates preclinical setup better than UBs, but unfortunately I was rejected at Upstate and invited to interview at UB

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it seems like you still came out ahead with your UB interview (hopefully). Am I correct in assuming you were either accepted, attending, attended, or possibly awaiting a response?

Well it seems like you still came out ahead with your UB interview (hopefully). Am I correct in assuming you were either accepted, attending, attended, or possibly awaiting a response?

Waitlisted :( That's why you should definitely go to Upstate and give me your seat ;);). Im just kidding, both schools seem to be really similar. The new UB campus was pretty unreal. If you end up coming to Buffalo, youll like the slower pace, but still city vibe

Speaking as a student who has interviewed at both schools, was subsequently accepted at Buff and HPA at Upstate. Personally, I would choose Upstate over Buffalo.

I found the systems based curriculum at upstate to be much more better. Upstate is also pass fail, while I did find both schools to be pretty supportive and relaxed, Upstate takes the win in this case as UB is letter grading. Both cities are pretty similar and will provide you pretty much equal opportunities with the short amount of free time you will probably have to spend. In addition, tuition is pretty much equal.

Thank you both very much for your replies. It really does give me some useful information.

Reactions: 1 user