SUNY Upstate vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

multivit3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I'm leaning towards Upstate because I just had a way better vibe on interview day. Liked the school better and thought it was a better fit for me. It's also closer to home but not by much (would be able to drive vs. take the plane).

However what's holding me back is that I would much prefer to do residency in NYC than stay in upstate NY. I'm a city person so living in Brooklyn seems much more appealing than Syracuse. Is this factor more important than liking the school better? Would it be that much harder to match if I were to go to Upstate?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm currently going to Upstate next year (barring a miracle and I come off the Rochester wait-list). My fiancee actually went to Upstate for her MD and had no problem getting interviews for NYC locations, although she ended up matching at her number 1 pick in a different city. Take a look at the match lists for 2015 and 2016 for Upstate and you'll see that plenty of students match in the NYC area.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users