Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

SUNY Upstate

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Brian20, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Brian20

Brian20 Member

Anyone around looking at SUNY upstate in syracuse??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. styphon

styphon Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I recently failed to make it into Upstate Medical's "Rural Area Program". I could tell you somethings about their binghamton campus.
    As I understand, when you are accepted you must choose to spend the last two years of medschool at the Syracuse campus or the Binghamton campus.
    Many people thing that the binghamton campus is just for those interested in family practice but that is not true. The director of the campus told me that over half of the students on binghamton campus went into surgery residences.
    At binghamton you will do your clinicals in Binghamton General and Wilson Memorial center. Wilso is the trauma center for the "southern tier" and is also the cardiac center. Binghamton General has the only Psychiatric and Rehibilation units in this area also.
    If you stay at Syracuse, you will do your clinicals at University Hospital which is the burn center for upstate NY.
    I would think that you would get more practical expierence in Binghamton because there are less medstudents and residents allowing the individual more time.

4. Nik

Nik Member

Its a great school at a great price. New construction and everything. Any specific questions?

5. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Nik just out of curiosity what year are you?
    I'm a first year student at Upstate.

6. Brian20

Brian20 Member

guys

i take it a few of you are current students. do you have any advice on studying and time management?

do you have time to work out during the day? is everything pretty regimented?

thanks guys

see ya in august