SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utterlyconfused

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I just got my first interview (took august MCAT) to SUNY Upstate, I just want to know if anyone has any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

utterlyconfused said:
Hey Guys,
I just got my first interview (took august MCAT) to SUNY Upstate, I just want to know if anyone has any advice.
Congrats, I got put on hold by them so you're ahead of me :)
I would suggest looking at the interview feedback (http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_read.asp) for a description of the interview day and some typical questions to expect. As you go on, you'll feel much more comfortable interviewing, but I found for my early interviews that brainstorming answers to typial questions was very helpful in increasing my confidence.

utterlyconfused said:
Hey Guys,

Hey Utterly,

I interviewed there back in October and it's a great school. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got my letter saying I'm on hold too... double drat... we'll see where this one takes us :\

Utterlyconfused - this is a good one to have as your first because everyone is very friendly and the day is pretty laid back. You should have a chance to sit in on some classes, which is good. The director of admissions, Jennifer Welch, is great. I agree with the above poster, to check out interview feedback and it couldn't hurt to do some mock interviews if you have the chance. Most of all, try to relax and be yourself in the interview.

Good luck!

Hey Guys,
thanx for your help. I guess I'm just nervous because I feel that I need to do something completely amazing to impress them. One of my friends sang at his interview, and another one of my friends showed the interviewer how to break dance. Since they only accept around 40% of who they interview, I'm especially scared. But yeah, i"m going to be getting some mock interviews from friends so hopefully I'll loosen up by then. My interviews Feb 9th so if any of you guys on hold get an interview around my time, let me know.

utterlyconfused said:
Hey Guys,
thanx for your help. I guess I'm just nervous because I feel that I need to do something completely amazing to impress them. One of my friends sang at his interview, and another one of my friends showed the interviewer how to break dance. Since they only accept around 40% of who they interview, I'm especially scared. But yeah, i"m going to be getting some mock interviews from friends so hopefully I'll loosen up by then. My interviews Feb 9th so if any of you guys on hold get an interview around my time, let me know.

I took my unicycle to my upstate interview... did that for my first interview and then a juggling act for my second :D. Kidding, obviously. Just relax, be yourself and show them that you are confident in who you are/why you want to go to med school. I think that the people who end up not getting in are the ones who try too hard to impress their interviewers or try to be something they are not. If you breakdance that's great, but if not don't don't worry about it. You'll be fine!

utterlyconfused said:
Hey Guys,
Since they only accept around 40% of who they interview,

That's a high percentage.

stinkycheese said:
That's a high percentage.

It seems like a high percentage intially but when you consider statistics for the other NY schools that's actually one of the lower out of state post interview acceptance rates. In fact, a 40% out of state post interview acceptance rate is right in the range when compared to other schools such as Hopkins (36%), UCSF (overall post -interview acceptance rate of also 40%) and lower than schools like UMichigan (62%) and Emory (43%). So as you can see, once an applicant gets to the interview stage their chances for admission really go up!

Also, not to dampen things, but those stats which I got from the premium edition of the 2005 USNEWS rankings are a bit outdated since they were based on Fall 2003 (class of 2007) admission statistics. For instance, they have a total of 2441 applicants for Upstate but we were given a class of 2008 profile sheet and it listed a total of 2896 applicants.

Upstate's current out of state post-interview acceptance rate should actually be less than 40%.

What about there instate post interview acceptance?

DubZteR said:
It seems like a high percentage intially but when you consider statistics for the other NY schools that's actually one of the lower out of state post interview acceptance rates. In fact, a 40% out of state post interview acceptance rate is right in the range when compared to other schools such as Hopkins (36%), UCSF (overall post -interview acceptance rate of also 40%) and lower than schools like UMichigan (62%) and Emory (43%). So as you can see, once an applicant gets to the interview stage their chances for admission really go up!

Also, not to dampen things, but those stats which I got from the premium edition of the 2005 USNEWS rankings are a bit outdated since they were based on Fall 2003 (class of 2007) admission statistics. For instance, they have a total of 2441 applicants for Upstate but we were given a class of 2008 profile sheet and it listed a total of 2896 applicants.

Upstate's current out of state post-interview acceptance rate should actually be less than 40%.

doctor5 said:
What about there instate post interview acceptance?

Don't have the exact numbers with me at the moment but it's higher than the out of state. I believe it was 50% if I'm not mistaken.