SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smokey223

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I already posted this, but I don't see it anywhere on the board. I know that no-one wants to hear about the numbers game, but right now the only thing stopping me from submitting my AMCAS is my mcats. I wanted to know if there was anyone from suny upstate who heard about below average MCAT scores that got accepted. I have a competitive GPA, great clinical experience, extra-curriculars, and great letters of rec.
ANyone please! I am a new york state resident, and I really want to go UpState. Are there any inspirational stories out there!?

Members don't see this ad.

i know pple with a 25, a 26 and a 28 who got into UCLA, John Hopkins, and Colubmia...

according to MSAR, the average for upstate is

around 26 to 27...upstate is syracuse right?

so I mean around 26 should cover you?! unless you got something below 20? then you definiately have to take it again

25,26 or 28 are you kidding me? who are these people? are they minorities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am posting because I want this topic to stay on top, and for someone to answer my question. Scoffing and saying
johnthestreak 25,26 or 28 are you kidding me? who are these people? are they minorities?
is not what I care to see.

I think the average is about a 28. Not sure. I'm a first year but I haven't asked people about their MCAT score ;). I think its taboo by now. But if you think you can get an interview at Upstate then why not? Esp if your letters, gpa, etc can make you competetive.

Originally posted by johnthestreak:
•25,26 or 28 are you kidding me? who are these people? are they minorities?•

AAAH like NO! They are white...I know at least 16 people with MCATS below 30 who got in not only into medical school but TOP ****......of that 6 of them were jewish, I dont know, is that considered a minority? those six were only for Yale and Einstein...the other 10, got acceptances because they were top notch in every way except mcat..... :D Funny, I know 7 people who are reapplying whose MCATs were above a 36....goes to show, the MCAT means nothing....

I heard Columbia's RANGE not average is 26 to 41 ;) so don't give up people :D

Originally posted by guardian:
•I think the average is about a 28. Not sure. I'm a first year but I haven't asked people about their MCAT score ;). I think its taboo by now. But if you think you can get an interview at Upstate then why not? Esp if your letters, gpa, etc can make you competetive.•

ok, let me be the first to break the taboo...so guardian, what was YOUR MCAT score :D ....

Nosy pre-med ;)...... three points higher.
Btw I was pulled off their waitlist at the end of July.

Someone with a 26 getting into Columbia? Who was it Mother Theresa?!