Super Bowl of Grand Rounds!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christian Ophtho Society

http://cosw.org
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Christian Ophthalmology Society (www.COSW.org) has an annual meeting each year at a different city/venue. This years meeting is in Portland, Oregon from August 3-7, 2016.

As part of the conference, residents submit their best short grand rounds power-point presentation. The top 10 presentations selected will be chosen to present during the "Super Bowl of Grand Rounds" lecture.

This is a great opportunity for residents. Each resident who submits a presentation will get a Grant to cover all expenses related to lodging/food/registration fees even if their presentation is not chosen.

http://cosw.org/40th-meeting/grant-application

Hope to see everyone there!

COS Team

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the meeting two years ago and had a great time. Much easier to bring your family to this meeting than others as there are some separate events during the day for spouses and for kids while you're at the conference. I also liked that there were a lot of people there who have done a lot of missions work and some very talented MSICS surgeons to hear and learn from. Looks like the conference has some great speakers this year too and Mark Terry is one of the featured presenters.

Also I was chosen to be one of the presenters for the grand rounds and it was very low pressure. Everybody was just having a good time with it, it was rapid-fire style and each of us presenters only had about 5 to 7 minutes to present and even as a first year resident back then I figured I could manage that.

I went to the meeting two years ago and had a great time. Much easier to bring your family to this meeting than others as there are some separate events during the day for spouses and for kids while you're at the conference. I also liked that there were a lot of people there who have done a lot of missions work and some very talented MSICS surgeons to hear and learn from. Looks like the conference has some great speakers this year too and Mark Terry is one of the featured presenters.

Also I was chosen to be one of the presenters for the grand rounds and it was very low pressure. Everybody was just having a good time with it, it was rapid-fire style and each of us presenters only had about 5 to 7 minutes to present and even as a first year resident back then I figured I could manage that.

Can you go if you're not Christian?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
The Christian Ophthalmology Society (www.COSW.org) has an annual meeting each year at a different city/venue. This years meeting is in Portland, Oregon from August 3-7, 2016.

As part of the conference, residents submit their best short grand rounds power-point presentation. The top 10 presentations selected will be chosen to present during the "Super Bowl of Grand Rounds" lecture.

This is a great opportunity for residents. Each resident who submits a presentation will get a Grant to cover all expenses related to lodging/food/registration fees even if their presentation is not chosen.

COS Team

Can you attend if you aren't a practicing Christian?

Can you go if you're not Christian?

I mean as long as you're willing to pledge your fealty and firstborn I bet it won't be a problem. Kidding, of course! I'm sure everyone is welcome regardless of beliefs. Just FYI, there will be some more faith-geared presentations among all of the presentations and it's obvious that everyone lives out their beliefs in a good way. Lots of missions-oriented people since that is a big part of how a lot of us put our faith into practice. Lots of good presentations for a Comprehensive doc to bone up on diagnosis and treatment and surgical technique in various areas. I don't see why it wouldn't be a great experience for an Ophthalmologist regardless of your beliefs. Looks like the lineup is great this year.

The original official poster above can confirm or deny any of this but I bet they'll agree that you'd feel welcome. It was really easy to get along with everyone that I met there.

Reactions: 1 users

Sorry for not answering sooner! All are welcome, and grants are available to everyone as long as you are a resident or fellow and make a submission for the grand rounds contest. Again the grant covers pretty much everything except for transportation to the meeting and maybe a meal here or there that isn't provided, but there are some great restaurants in Portland to try! Hope to see you there!

Reactions: 1 users

To Dr Zeke
I've gone to the Christian Ophthalmology Society five times over the course of my training (twice in medical school, three times in residency). You are certainly welcome to come even if you are not a Christian. Although some of the talks are faith-based, I can't imagine a non-Christian would feel uncomfortable during the lectures and talks. I've had friends who are non-Christians come and enjoy it thoroughly. The Super Bowl of Grand Rounds was added two years ago and has been a big hit. I don't know how your Grand Rounds in residency is, but this one is very laid back. The residents, fellows, and medical students who present are simply showing off some of the weirder presentations and diagnoses they have come across, and it's amazing the pathology that can walk into a residency program. None of the attendees pose off-the-wall questions or require the latest literature to be cited. It is more of a grand show-and-tell from across the country.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked with a faculty member who was a born again Christian who was a very bad testament. He was selfish, lying, mean, not a good teacher. Unfortunate.

There are practicing Catholics but Protestants tend not to be called practicing or not. Baptists are Protestants but one pastor said they weren't, preferring to be considered independent.

I worked with a faculty member who was a born again Christian who was a very bad testament. He was selfish, lying, mean, not a good teacher. Unfortunate.

On the other hand, I've worked with many non-born again Christians and unfortunately, some of them are lacking as well. Hope this is a helpful counter point.

On the other hand, I've worked with many non-born again Christians and unfortunately, some of them are lacking as well. Hope this is a helpful counter point.
Yes, not sure what the point of his comment was... He once knew a jerk I guess? Jerks come in all flavors...

Yes, not sure what the point of his comment was... He once knew a jerk I guess? Jerks come in all flavors...

This conversation could open such a huge can of worms and get really exciting. I might buy some popcorn in anticipation...

This conversation could open such a huge can of worms and get really exciting. I might buy some popcorn in anticipation...

I don't know why you want to open up a can of worms when the OP was just making a friendly announcement

I don't know why you want to open up a can of worms when the OP was just making a friendly announcement

I was referring to the side conversation going on between hurdle pup, docta9, etc...which I found entertaining. Not an announcement for a Christian meeting....

I don't consider myself a part of this conversation for the record

The point is that Christians should be a good testament. I worked with one faculty member who often mentioned Christianity, that he went to church, was a Christian Ophthalmology Society member, and invited residents to go to a COS prayer meeting. Yet he was among the top 10 most evil faculty members that I have ever worked with. However, he was not the worst.

If I were not a Christian and was not familiar with being a Christian, if I met him, I might have felt that he was an infidel.

The point is that Christians should be a good testament. I worked with one faculty member who often mentioned Christianity, that he went to church, was a Christian Ophthalmology Society member, and invited residents to go to a COS prayer meeting. Yet he was among the top 10 most evil faculty members that I have ever worked with. However, he was not the worst.

If I were not a Christian and was not familiar with being a Christian, if I met him, I might have felt that he was an infidel.

Infidel? As in not a member of mainstream religion?

Infidel? As in not a member of mainstream religion?

ok, maybe not the correct word. Some Arab terrorists groups call others infidels.

ok, maybe not the correct word. Some Arab terrorists groups call others infidels.

I know, and when they use it, they mean "not Muslim", which is why I asked you to clarify. If you were using it the way they mean it, then a Christian is an infidel.

Hey everyone!

I went to the conference last year in Grand Rapids, Michigan and it was one of my most memorable and best conferences I have been to.

The super bowl rounds are an amazing time for residents to showcase interesting patients they have seen and how they managed such complicated/mysterious cases. Very relaxed, interesting, and on par if not better than some of the AAO case sessions.

I encourage everyone to go! I just saw Mark Terry speak at a local conference here in Canada and he's going to be in Portland this year too. Some of the most amazing top surgeons are going to be giving talks on international work, addressing needs in our own backyards, scientific updates, and surgical techniques/simulations.

COS Team

Thanks to everyone who applied for a grant to attend this year's COS meeting. We had a record number of requests from residents/fellows all over the country.
This year we have narowed it down to 8 excellent cases to be presented at the Super Bowl of Grand Rounds session. Next year we are entertaining the idea of adding another session to allow more people to present their interesting case. If you couldn't make it out this year, please remember to join
us next year in North Carolina for the 2017 COS Annual Meeting!